In the short story, A Worn Path, an elderly colored women named Phoenix Jackson walks a path to get to a town called Natchez. Phoenix is old and small woman that wore a dark striped dress with untied shoelaces and she carried “a thin, small cane made from an umbrella,” [Welty 1274] with that she kept her balance. Phoenix went though many obstacles like getting tangled in a torn bush and crossing a creek by walking on a log that was over it. After that she sat down to get some rest and saw a little boy that gave her marble cake, but that ended when she reached up for it and the boy and cake were gone. Then she got up from where she sat and maneuvered through a barbed wire fence then passed through an old cotton field and went into a field of dead corn. While in the corn field Phoenix runs into a scarecrow which she thought was a man then a ghost. When she gets out of the maze of corn and keeps on walking and comes across a spring ...
... middle of paper ...
...lty put these many symbolic references for a purpose to get the reader into the story “A Worn Path.”
123helpme Editors. “Symbolism in ‘A Worn Path’.” 123helpme. N.p., n.d. Web.
17 Mar 2014.
Cummings, Michael J. “‘A Worn Path’ Study Guide.” Cummingsstudy guides.
N.p., 2011. Web. 17 Mar 2014.
Roberts, Edgar v. and Henry E. Jacobs, ed. “’A Worn Path’ Analysis.” Yahoo
Contributor Network. Yahoo,Inc.; 6 Nov 2008. 17 Mar 2014.
Welty, Eudora. “A Worn Path.” Heritage of American Literature. Ed. James E.
Miller. Vol.2. Austin: Harcourt Brace Jovannouch, 199.1274 Print.
Word Press Editors. “An Analysis of Eudora Welty’s ‘A Worn Path’.” Wordpress.
N.p., 12 Apr 2013.Web.17 Mar 2014.
Writing Rock, Editors. “’A Worn Path’ Analysis Research Paper.” WritingRock.
N.p., n.d.Web.17 Mar 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Symbolism, it can be used for many things, such as expressing meaning, feelings, or emotions through an object by the author. It can be simple things that can show such emotion. Even flowers can have symbolic references, such as Roses. A rose symbolizes romance and love. A Lillie may stand for beauty of temptation. But not all symbols may have a positive reference to it. Example “These emotions are holding me down as if chains her tugging at my every move”. This shows that the character of this situation is being held down by chains that are giving her a hard time and or trapped because of these symbolic chains.... [tags: phoenix jackson, roses, romance, love]
1272 words (3.6 pages)
- Symbolism is a characteristic that stands out in a person or thing. People usually use symbolism for something that means to them or represents to them. The symbols are used for many things, for example the apple on the iphone, laptop or iPod symbolizes the brand. Symbols are also used in churches, for example the cross symbolizes Jesus Christ. It symbolizes how he was crucified, put to death on a cross. The colors symbolize something’s to for example the colors white, red and blue symbolize freedom in the United States, it also represents the United States flag.... [tags: phoenix jackson, thorn bush, the white hunters]
1294 words (3.7 pages)
- In the short story ‘a worn path’ by Eudora Welty she uses symbolism to describe many of the characters and objects that are given in the short story. Symbolism is to use symbols to represent ideas and qualities. In ‘a worn path’ Eudora does so she uses manifolds of characters and objects to express the way the story is being told in her own way. As doing so she helps the reader understand it more sufficiently and to show that what is going on is still happening today. In the short story ‘a worn pass’ by Eudora Welty she uses several of characters for specific reasons and various objects as well.The short story tells use about an old lady name phoenix Jackson she is a blind elderly women and... [tags: phoenix jackson, white hunter]
1733 words (5 pages)
- Many times an object or a character can easily be more understood when a symbol is used to represent it. Just like in sports they also use colors, mascots, animals, and symbols to give the team a image. The Oakland Raiders use a rough and tough raider to show the character and strength of their football organization and by using that symbol they can instill some intimidation without even stepping on the field. Symbols are also used on the road, at a traffic light it shines 3 different colors, green for go, yellow for slow down, and red to stop.... [tags: phonenix jackson, natchez, marble cake]
1401 words (4 pages)
- “A Worn Path” is a story about an African American woman named Phoenix Jackson who travels through the wilderness and faces obstacles to get medicine for her grandson who is ill. In the short story “A Worn Path” Eudora Welty used a manifold of literary techniques in order to convey a deeper meaning of her story. Although there were multiple techniques used, symbolism was the most used and overbearing in the passage. Symbolism is the use of objects or characters that are used to represent something greater such as an idea or event in history.... [tags: phoenix jackson, white hunter, slavery]
1177 words (3.4 pages)
- Symbolism is the use of conventional or traditional signs in the representation of divine beings and spirits. For example, when people say “Life is a roller coaster.” In this metaphorical symbol the person doesn’t actually mean that life is a roller coaster, it’s a figure of speech, which indicates that life has its ups and downs. Another example could be the colors; as everyone is aware that black indicates death, white for purity, and red for danger or passion, purple being the royal color, yellow for violence and lastly blue for peace.... [tags: Eudora Welty, literary analysis]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- Eudora Welty's A Worn Path Eudora Welty's 'A Worn Path' is a story that emphasizes the natural symbolism of the surroundings. As the story begins, we are introduced to our main character, Phoenix Jackson; she is described as a small, old Negro woman. I believe that the name Eudora Welty gives our main character is very symbolic. The legend of the Phoenix is about a fabled sacred bird of ancient Egyptians. The bird is said to come out of Arabia every 500 years to Heliopolis, where it burned itself on the altar and rose again from its ashes, young and beautiful.... [tags: Eudora Welty Worn Path Essays Papers]
1353 words (3.9 pages)
- A Worn Path – An Analysis The short story "A Worn Path" by Eudora Welty, is a descriptive story of a grandmother's difficult journey, for a grandson she loves. Her devotion to her grandson and wanting to provide him with a better lifestyle, was her motivation to overcome these trials. On this trip, Phoenix Jackson, the grandmother, struggles against old age, nature, and reality. Phoenix Jackson was certainly a dedicated old lady. She refused to give up, despite the odds against her, to help her grandson.... [tags: Worn Path essays]
874 words (2.5 pages)
- Significance of the Mistletoe in Eudora Welty's 'A Worn Path After struggling up a hill, extricating herself from a thorn bush, and crossing a log over a creek, Phoenix Jackson, the aged and infirm protagonist of Eudora Welty's short story "A Worn Path," sits down on the banks of the creek for a rest: Up above her was a tree in a pearly cloud of mistletoe. She did not dare close her eyes, and when a little boy brought her a plate with a slice of marble-cake on it she spoke to him. "That would be acceptable," she said.... [tags: Worn Path Essays]
904 words (2.6 pages)
- Phoenix Jackson in Eudora Welty's "A Worn Path" has been compared to the mythological phoenix because of her birdlike qualities, and it's also been noticed that Phoenix possesses many of the same characteristics as Christ. But, what hasn't been addressed is the fact that Eudora Welty didn't just leave the symbolism to Christ alone. Welty also included many biblical allusions as well. Phoenix Jackson is not only symbolic of the mythological bird that rose from the ashes of its own demise or simply a Christ figure comparable to the Son of God, but she is also a biblical hero facing temptation and trials along her journey and succeeds unharmed and steadfast in her faith.... [tags: Book Reviews]
572 words (1.6 pages)