Music is said to influence the process of thinking and learning by motivating the student to think better, analyze faster and work more efficiently. Studies have shown that just listening to music is beneficial. However, it is the participating fully in music, the singing and playing of music that strengthens the learning process. Exposure through lessons and other activities may help students to explore and boost their confidence and help them achieve more success in their endeavors. The fact is, music is an important avenue to individual success. Music should be available to all students in all schools, because it holds such an influential place in academic structure (Children’s Music Workshop Music’s 1). Wilber-Clatonia High School should mandate that all students take at least one semester of vocal and one semester of instrumental music in high school.
Music is a universal language, which speaks to a whole variety of people cutting though racial, cultural, social, educational, and economic barriers. It has become an expression for many cultures. The oldest artifacts show people playing musical instruments over four thousand years ago. Men and women through time have been moved by the powerful words and beats that musicians have created to provoke emotions. However, no matter how much music may have differed, it seems that music served a common purpose: to bring people together.
By bringing people together fills a student’s “bag” with self-motivation, assessment and practical application. It allows a person to take a look at the world and appreciate what people do and to have a deep-understanding of the world. This is very important in the world of music because it is culturally diverse. Students experience thi...
... middle of paper ...
...s. “Creativity.” University of Missouri-Kansas City. 1998. Web. 23 Nov. 2011.
Intelligent Life on the Web. “How Does Music Affect The Brain.” Buzzle.com. 2011. Web. 28
IsyB Family. “Music and Sound Therapy as a Treatment for Autism.” Isybee Autism. 27 April
2011. Web. 26 Nov. 2011.
Lanaki9. “Amazing Grace – Whitley Phipps.” Youtube. 6 Feb. 2007. Web. 23 Nov. 2011.
Lennon, John. The White Album. EMI and Trident Studios, 1968. CD.
Reid, Harvey. “On Mathematics and Music.” Woodpecker Records. Web. 26 Nov. 2011.
ThinkQuest. “Math and Music.” Oracle Education Foundation. Web. 23 Nov. 2011.
Wilber-Clatonia Public Schools. “Graduation Requirements.” ¬¬Wilber-Clatonia School Board.
Wilber: Wilber-Clatonia Public Schools, 2011.
Yoh, William H. “The Cornerstone to a Well Rounded Individual.” Santa Teresa Music and
Arts Association. 2008. Web. 23 Nov. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A school’s curriculum stands by the three “Rs” – reading, writing, and arithmetic – but what about rhythm. Because of budget cuts, many schools throughout the United States have thrown their chorus, orchestra, and band programs into the pile of the “over” and “done with.” In multiple cases, music programs get the boot just because there are no standardized tests for it. Schools like these could not be bringing a greater injustice upon students. Music programs are special in the way that they benefit every aspect of the pupil.... [tags: Education]
1625 words (4.6 pages)
Advancing The People and Strengthening a Nation: Four Unforgettable Men Advocating for Change in the Redemption Era
- The ending of Reconstruction and the period known as the Redemption gave birth to the “new Negro.” Gene Jarrett, a CAS associate professor of English at Boston University, defines the “new Negro” as a time “when African Americans were hoping to represent themselves in fresh, progressive ways, whether dealing with politics or culture alone.” He goes on to say, “There was a transition from the old Negro, the plantation slave, to the new Negro, African-Americans who were considered more refined, educated, sophisticated, and involved in the political process” (Ullian 2008).... [tags: civil rights, black, social]
1049 words (3 pages)
- ... In one particular project, The Jared Kurtin Music Therapy Program uses music therapy at the Children’s Hospital and Research Center Oakland. Music therapy is used on every type of patient, from premature babies all the way to teen cancer patients. Kevin Walsh MD, a doctor at the Children’s Hospital, says that music is a helpful tool for pain management, and anxiety. This project also helped identify the effectiveness of live music over recorded music. On the actual video, giving us a look into the program, the children taking advantage of the music therapy program seemed really happy.... [tags: modern technologies & ancient practices]
1813 words (5.2 pages)
- ... That is how I feel about my mentor, Mrs. Jones. I have never had Mrs. Jones as my teacher, but from the way she carries herself and from the comments I’ve heard from other students, I knew she would be the perfect choice for my mentor. I simply went to her and asked her to be my mentor and she simply replied “yes.” I was thankful that she said yes because it was kind of late to be looking for a mentor. III. Design Cycle At this point I have started to find and read articles about music being involved with the learning process.... [tags: music styles, processing information]
1261 words (3.6 pages)
- A pre-teen or “tween” is a child between the ages of eight and twelve (Bickford 418). During this developmental stage, tweens have the ability to choose what they may purchase, but are still easily manipulated by media, especially musical content (Mazzarella 284). Focusing on tween girls, one can observe how a tween will follow the various fads and musical artists in order to fit in (Chaet 2012). Viewing children as consumers one can see how celebrities, popular trends, and carefully targeted marketing may easily mold their minds.... [tags: Music Industry, Modern Music]
1925 words (5.5 pages)
- Gaining a “sense of the arts” through music The arts are forms of personal and social expression. They stimulate imagination, thinking, thinking, and understanding. The arts are fundamental in the development of children, who can feel as well as think, and who are sensitive and creative. In early childhood education children identify and express the feelings and ideas in different forms such as music, dance, drama, and visual arts. This essay highlights the key ideas of how young children between the ages of three to five make sense through art such as music.... [tags: Music, Language Development]
1261 words (3.6 pages)
- Prehistoric Music categorizes all music that was created in the preliterate age (a period before any cultures had created a system to read and write.) Because it’s occurrence was prior to recorded history, the origin of music is still unknown; however, some believe that it’s creation was stemmed through the occurrence of natural sounds and rhythms. Humans may have learned to incorporate these natural sounds into their music by using patterns, repetition, or tonality. Even today, many cultures create music that is purposely intended to imitate certain sounds in nature.... [tags: romantic era, ancient music, acapella]
1837 words (5.2 pages)
- Introduction Curriculum reform requires that all teachers become teacher leaders. "This involves a commitment on the part of all to lead as experts in their subject area, their classrooms, and in the vision and mission of the school/district" (Hill, 2006, p. 178). Each teacher, especially the music educator, has to be an advocate for their subject within the curriculum. As the music curriculum is currently changing, the music educator should be aware of the issues that are being revised. Arts Integration Most music educators realize the need for integration of music into other areas of the school curriculum but do not understand the effort that goes into forming an integrated lesson plan.... [tags: Music Educators, Teaching]
2092 words (6 pages)
- Executive Order 13416 Strengthening Surface Transportation Security The purpose of this executive order is to make sure American surface transportation security is protected from terroristic acts. Surface transportation is a critical infrastructure that includes “…highways, transit systems, railways, and waterways that comprise the intermodal transportation network…” (Surface Transportation Policy and Legislation, 2013). It is a critical infrastructure because surface transportation makes a huge impact on the American economical system and effects American way of life.... [tags: terrorists, infrastructure, transportation]
1416 words (4 pages)
- Abstract: This paper describes a retrieval method for a significant amount of music tracks. It takes a melody sung or a text input as a search clue which is sent over the internet to retrieve the song from the database. This system uses a variety of procedures to support multiple search modes. The thorough indexing method allows for rapid recovery of the song. Integration of these components within a single architecture shall improve performance and functionality. Overview of Objectives: The aim of this paper is to utilise and develop existing techniques for Music Information Retrieval.... [tags: Process Music ]
1555 words (4.4 pages)