For 246 consecutive years, blacks have been kidnapped, whipped to death, mutilated, and raped. From 1619 to 1865, these generations of slave families were living as property rather than human beings. History would agree that the crimes done against these set of selected people do not compare to those of other races. Many people don’t know that there were sex slave farms that practiced a process known as “buck breaking”. “Buck breaking” was when a slave master would bind and whip his male slave for defiance. Then this master would proceed to rape the slave in the presence of all other slaves. It has been 151 years since such horrific tragedies, and the ruined descendants of these slaves have yet to be given reparations. Reparation is defined as “the act of making amends, offering expiation, or giving satisfaction for a wrong or injury” (merriam-webster.com). The Human Rights Article 4 states “that no one shall be held in slavery or servitude” (un.org). Also, slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in every form. Since, the slave trade was a violation of human rights, one may ask should African Americans be given reparations? In response the answer would be yes;African-Americans rightfully deserve reparations.
Many groups of people are responsible for the crime of slavery. Spain was the first European country to start the transatlantic slave trade. Both the northern and southern states of America had slaves up until the ending Civil War. It is a fact that slavery is prevalent in almost all cultures, but the slavery of the “New World” was different. Ernest Allen states that “the responsibility for the internationalization and institutionalization of slavery rest with the European and American individuals and ...
... middle of paper ...
...enefited from slavery should be included in this lawsuit. In result to proposing this case, the United Nations as defenders of humanity should hold every part accountable for each crime. Then correct steps should be taken by the UN, in fulfilling the needs of all slave descendants. People who feel that African-Americans should dismiss their claims for reparations, are ignorant. They believe this, because there are no ex-slave masters alive today that can repay their former slaves. How can someone be ignorant to the fact that it could have been the great grandfather of anyone of us African Americans, that were victims to “buck breaking”. Being castrated and emasculated over the years is bound to have a lasting negative effect from generation to generation. Due to these atrocities African-Americans should receive reparations to correct the wrongs done against them.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Reparations For 246 consecutive years, blacks have been kidnapped, whipped to death, mutilated, and raped. From 1619 to 1865, these generations of slave families were living as property rather than human beings. History would agree that the crimes done against these set of selected people do not compare to those of other races. Many people don’t know that there were sex slave farms that practiced a process known as “buck breaking”. “Buck breaking” was when a slave master would bind and whip his male slave for defiance.... [tags: Slavery, Black people, Racism]
1065 words (3 pages)
- In response to the quote, "I support reparations for slavery in the United States" I strongly oppose this statement. However, I do believe that this debate is a very sensitive subject and is not something I thought I would be encountered with. After, intensely analyzing these articles I have come to my conclusion about this topic. When reading David Horowitz 's report, "Ten reasons why reparations for blacks is a bad idea for blacks and racist, too!" I found myself agreeing with just about everything he stood for.... [tags: Slavery in the United States, Slavery]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- Reparations for Slavery and Discrimination - Just Say NO "If you are the son of a man who had a wealthy estate and you inherit your father's estate, you have to pay off the debts that your father incurred before he died. The only reason that the present generation of white Americans are in a position of economic strength...is because their fathers worked our fathers for over 400 years with no pay...We were sold from plantation to plantation like you sell a horse, or a cow, or a chicken, or a bushel of wheat...All that money...is what gives the present generation of American whites the ability to walk around the earth with their chest out...like they have some kind of economic ingenuity.... [tags: Reparations for African Americans]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- America has gone through a terrible past. It has once decided to own people as property and deprive African Americans of their liberties and enslaved them. Since then, the United States has attempted to repair this mistake through reparations. The legal reparations of the United States have unsuccessfully redressed individual and social injustices by failing to alleviate the pain caused to the African American community. The Harm caused by Slavery still continues to be suffered by the community through this day.... [tags: American History]
1214 words (3.5 pages)
- “Slavery, colonialism and neo-colonialism have caused inestimable damage to billions of people throughout the world. They have also formed the basis for the accumulation of immense wealth in the hands of a small elite… The slave trade involved the brutal relocation of tens of millions of people in which families, communities and societies were destroyed and in which millions lost their lives in the most inhumane conditions. At the same time, slavery was a fundamental element of the strengthening of mercantile trade and the rapid accumulation of capital that formed the basis for the emergence of the capitalist system as we know it today.... [tags: Slavery Essays]
4382 words (12.5 pages)
- Nobody questions the fact that slavery has been the cause of pain for many people and families. What is in question is how to mend this pain. Have the ancestors of American slaves experienced troubles directly resulting from the actions of slavery that deserve reparations. Are the ancestors of slave owners experiencing prosperity that should be redistributed. Although slavery has been illegal in America for 143 years, the controversy over slavery reparations continue to cause controversy to this day.... [tags: Slavery Essays]
1605 words (4.6 pages)
- For over 200 years people of African descent were enslaved by Anglo-Saxons, having to endure painful hardships and not really even having an identity. After the Emancipation Proclamation they were supposedly "free" but were still considered a lesser people by many white Americans, even to the present day. But the question that has been posed and that we have read about is whether or not black Americans should receive monetary compensation for their hardships. In an article written by Shelby Steele, a black American whose grandfather was born into slavery, he writes about his feelings toward reparations, saying that reparations would be an insult to his heritage.... [tags: World Cultures]
545 words (1.6 pages)
- The Legacies of Slavery and Reparations Reparations. Just the term stirs up controversy, along with endless amounts of questions that are still to be answered. Should reparations be awarded. Is it feasible. Who should receive it. In what forms should it be given. These are only a few of the most important questions that need to be answered. To answer these questions, I will draw on the research conducted for my country study and the panel debates that were conducted over the past weeks. To fully understand my reasoning you must be informed of the approaches discussed on both sides of these debates.... [tags: Papers]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- Reparations Although the talk of reparations of slavery has been in discussion for over a hundred years, it is beginning to heat up again. Within these discussions, the issue of the form of reparations has been evaluated and money has been an option several times. However, reparations in the form of money should not be obtained for several reasons. Firstly, it is not a solution to the problem, secondly monetary reparations have the ability to worsen discrimination, thirdly, who gets paid, and how is it regulated, and lastly, the money can be misused.... [tags: American Civil War, Slavery, Money]
1153 words (3.3 pages)
- Reparations A highly debated topic in today’s political conversation is reparations. Many would argue that African Americans deserve reparations because their ancestors were kidnapped from their homes and were forced to work for years, in most cases until death. Others may claim that reparations have already been paid, even though they were not monetary. Lastly, there is the group that believes that reparations for slavery are not a good idea for anyone. In today’s society, is it a good idea to give African Americans reparations and make the line of racial division more apparent.... [tags: Black people, Race, Slavery, African American]
1358 words (3.9 pages)