To begin, the Federal Food and Drug Administration does not have the power to regulate supplements like it does with drugs. Once a product is out on the market, the FDA has to prove that it is dangerous or has illegal additives before it can be removed. The FDA has targeted around seventy tainted weight loss products after learning that they had been mixed with undeclared stimulants, diuretics, and antidepressants (Trebilcock 2). The Federal Food, and Drug, Administration is responsible for ensuring that the manufacturers of foods provide safe ingredients and the correct amount of dosages for their products.
In addition, the agency is also in charge of providing accurate labels without any misleading information (Farley 1). The DSHEA lets “natural” products be sold without any proof that the product is safe. "In 1994 Congress passed the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act, which allowed supplements- broadly defined as vitamins, minerals, herbs, amino acids, and other products that don’t contain approved pharmaceutical drugs and don’t claim to treat d...
... middle of paper ...
...low. It is important to take precautions in all aspects.
With all the unregulated dietary supplements being sold and recommended, our health insurance costs will continue to rise. If the product causes severe side effects, it should no longer be permitted to be sold in stores. The only way to touch the minds of many people is to inform them of the dangers of consuming dietary supplements. Disposing of all incorrect information in product labeling and ingredient lists is important. People need to recognize the faults that plague many advertisements. In addition businesses should promote safe products instead of the harmful ones that they advocate for. The United States Congress should consider regulating dietary supplements to maintain safety. If people are aware of the many lies companies present, then dietary supplements will be one less problem to worry about.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Dietary Supplements Dietary supplements are very beneficial to one’s body if they are taken correctly. There are many pros and cons to taking dietary supplements. In this paper I will discuss the pros and cons and how supplements affect the human body. We will also consider the government’s guidelines regarding dietary supplements. Dietary supplements are elements you can eat or drink. A dietary supplement can be inorganic, vitamin, mineral, herbs, amino acids, and can contain all or parts of these elements.... [tags: Hypertension, Dietary supplement, Nutrition]
787 words (2.2 pages)
- n estimation in 2004 said that americans nearly spent 20.3 billion in all kinds of dietary supplements. The use of dietary supplements is common among the U.S. population. Over 40 % used supplements in 1988-94 and over one half in 2003- 2006. The most used supplements are multivitamins and multiminerals. Approximately 40 % of men and women reporting use of these two supplements in 2006. You 're body needs to have vitamin D to absorb calcium and promote bone growth. By using vitamin d your body will have the proper calcium your body needs and it will improve your bone growth.... [tags: Nutrition, Dietary supplement, Vitamin]
1148 words (3.3 pages)
- Dietary supplements are used to add additional nutritional value to the diet. Some common forms of supplements include: vitamins, amino acids, minerals, herbs, and enzymes, and can be found in a multitude of forms such as capsules, liquids, gel caps, powders, and tablets. Dietary supplements are becoming increasingly popular among Americans today. According to the Centers for Disease and Control, “Over half of the adults in the U.S. use at least one type of dietary supplement, the most common being multivitamins.”1 Many use these vitamins because they are believed to present a number of benefits, such as helping or treating diseases, etc.... [tags: Vitamin, Nutrition, Dietary supplement]
1162 words (3.3 pages)
- Cindy Le Professor Shen English 301 29 October 2015 Dietary Supplements According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) official website, a dietary supplement is a product intended for ingestion to add further nutritional value or “supplement” the diet. Dietary supplements can come in many forms such as tablets, capsules, soft gels, gel caps, liquids, or powders. What makes it a dietary supplement is the dietary ingredient it contains. The FDA states that a "dietary ingredient" contains one or more of the following: vitamin, mineral, herb or other botanical, an amino acid (U.S.... [tags: Vitamin, Dietary supplement, Nutrition]
1363 words (3.9 pages)
- Dietary Supplements A plethora of adults in the United States take dietary supplements either occasionally or every day. Today’s dietary supplements include enzymes, vitamins, probiotics, herbs, and many others ingredients. Dietary supplements come in a great number of forms: Powders, traditional tablets, capsules, as well as energy bars and drinks. Although Americans believe that by taking dietary supplements, they will receive the essential micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) to improve and maintain their health, supplements are not necessary for overall health and consuming too much of them can deal to severe organ damage and death.... [tags: Vitamin, Nutrition, Dietary supplement]
1385 words (4 pages)
- Dietary Supplement and Cheating Companies Many people appear to be moving towards live easy life that cause globalization and changes that occur in the world. As a result, many health habit has been disappearance in our lives such as drinking milk, fresh juices…etc. That lead to find alternatives that make us feel to compensate for diminution in our food and ccontribute in strengthens the immune system. That motive scientists to create a new way to healthily enhance by dietary supplement, which multivitamins and foundational minerals are produced by food manufacturers and “used to support good health and as alternative forms of medicine.... [tags: Vitamin, Dietary supplement, Dietary mineral]
1005 words (2.9 pages)
- According to Advances in Nutrition (Vitamin/Trace mineral supplements), “The fraction of population that is elderly has been increasing, as has the consumption of vitamin/trace mineral supplements, which is now a Multibillion dollar industry. Yet the rationale for such supplement intake by the majority may be questioned.” () Questions like, are vitamin and mineral supplements necessary for life, or is our body capable of generating enough micro-nutrients from everyday nutrition and the environment?; and are vitamin supplements supposed to be used as substitutes for the natural intake of vitamins from whole foods, for people who do not have deficiencies.... [tags: vitamin supplements]
1532 words (4.4 pages)
- 49% of surveyed adults from the ages of 31-50 say that they use food supplements on a regular basis (Dickinson, 19). Food supplements are being very commonly used to fill the gaps in a person’s diet. They are the unknown hero of modern day living, and most people don’t even know most people use them. Food supplements can benefit everyone in one way or another. Especially “With the popularity of fast and inexpensive processed food, many of us struggle to get all the nutrients we need out of our diets” (“Dietary Supplements: The Health Benefits of Pumping Up Your Diet” Par 1).... [tags: dietary supplements and vitamins]
679 words (1.9 pages)
- Herbal Dietary Supplements Fit America Fit America touts itself as the very best and most practical 100% Natural system of weight loss that helps an individual lose weight without dieting. Fit America is a natural weight control that is composed of 13 herbs and minerals that supposedly "help suppress appetite, regulate the bowels and kidneys, and stimulates the metabolism so the body uses the foods consumed more efficiently." The Fit America program requires a high protein, low carbohydrate diet.... [tags: Diet Supplement Weight Loss Gain Research Paper]
2088 words (6 pages)
- There are many different work out supplements. Some of those work out supplements are Proteins/Amino Acids, Performance Supplements, Energy Boosting Products, and Vitamins. The first work out supplement we are going to tell you about is Proteins/Amino Acids. One supplement that is made of Protein is called, "The Ultimate Whey Designer Protein." This designer protein is 68% better than egg white and or regular whey. It mixes easy and gives you up to 18 grams of protein per scoop. This supplement will run you the consumer about $26.99 each 2 lbs bottle.... [tags: Work Out Supplements]
1212 words (3.5 pages)