PRINCE2 (Project in Controlled Environments, Version 2) is a project management methodology that are released in 1996. It was based on combination of two methodology that is PROMPT (Projects Resource Organization Management Planning Technique) and IBM's MITP (Managing the Implementation of the Total Project) methodology. PROMPT that is originally created by former IBM Project Managers in 1975. Central Computer and Telecommunications Agency (CCTA) one of IBM’s client which is responsible for IT support in United Kingdom Government, applied PROMPT methodology and adapted it in 1979 and called it PRINCE (PROMPT in the CCTA Environment) which became Projects in Controlled Environments. PRINCE was widely used in IT project in public sector at that time. Others sectors such as businesses also want to use PRINCE, therefore the PRINCE gain transformation so it can easily adapt for a new users. PRINCE2 was created which can be applying in any project with more flexible and generic unmindful of any complexity.
Description of PRINCE2
PRINCE2 is a structured project management methodology that widely used by organizations and government in the world. It is known as de facto process-based method in project management especially in IT environments. PRINCE2 direct the project management with four integrated elements of principles, themes, processes and environments. To be called PRINCE2 project, the project must follow the principles in PRINCE2. There are seven principles that are followed by seven themes which form the basic characteristic of PRINCE2. It also consists of seven processes that are interconnected to obtain goals, the successfulness of the project and managed the direction of the project. The figure below showed...
... middle of paper ...
...eral Government IT Projects
Year: September 2009
Author: Richard Tucker, PMP (Certified PRINCE2 Practitioner) ICOR Partners, LLC
Description about the Project:
The project is about applying the PRINCE2 project management to support Capital Planning and Investment Control (CPIC). The project wants to prove that the PRINCE2 methodology is able to be adapted into to any size of IT project. The project is to support US Government to make decision on investment, effectiveness and redefined IT project based on policies and procedures. CPIC use Clinger-Cohen Act to manage the IT project which is including usability, maintenances and dispose.
A short history of PRINCE2®. (2012, August 29). In Bizness Académie SAS is an Accredited Training Organization (ATO). Retrieved March 30, 2014, from
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- UNIT 5, 6 “PRINCE2 PROJECT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM” AND “MS PROJECT CLOSURE” NAME- SARABDEEP SINGH STUDENT ID- C0661489 COURSE- EPM 2112 SUBMITTED TO- PROF. BOB XOURAFAS MOTIVE- the motive of studying this unit is to understand to what is prince2, how it is different from the PMBOK, what are the similarities and so on. Moreover, we will study closure of the project using MS project.... [tags: Project management, PRINCE2, Project, Management]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- According to the Oxford dictionary (2014), a project can be defined as “An individual or collaborative enterprise that is carefully planned to achieve a particular aim”. While the Association of Project Management defines a project as “A unique, transient endeavour, undertaken to achieve planned objectives, which could be defined in terms of outputs, outcomes or benefits.” (Apm, n.d.). Project management can then be defined as the use of certain skills and applications to effectively and efficiently achieve a project goal and improve an entity’s ability to perform in competing markets.... [tags: methodologies, time, UK, flexibility]
915 words (2.6 pages)
- Task 1 PRINCE2 (an acronym for Projects in Controlled Environments, version 2) is a project management methodology It was developed by the UK government agency Office of Government Commerce (OGC) and is used extensively within the UK government as the de facto project management standard for its public projects. The methodology encompasses the management, control and organization of a project. PRINCE2 is also used to refer to the training and accreditation of authorized practitioners of the methodology who must undertake accredited qualifications to obtain certification.... [tags: Business Analysis]
2271 words (6.5 pages)
- First of all one must know what a project is. A project is a temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product, results or service. (Dr. David F. Rico, ND) and project management has a been there since the stone ages, man is by nature is a goal setter and a goal getter, and the process you take to achieve any goal you set is your methodology to managing your project, for example is story told in the bible, it was said years ago all man spoke same language and as the grew in their construction skill, they embarked on what they didn’t know at that time was a huge Project, that is to build a city that will have its tower reach the heavens (fairchild, n.d.), and ever since there has b... [tags: methodologies, processes, ]
1156 words (3.3 pages)
- Ferris Healthcare, Inc recognizes that their growth as organization was depending on their rapid implementation of project management. Their line managers have been performing as project managers, which most of the times resulted on delayed and over budget projects. All employees agree that a project management methodology is necessary in the organization. They outsourced and gave a quick training on project management for 50 employees (out of 300), some of which were place as part of the committee to create a project management methodology for the company.... [tags: Project management, Management, Organization]
1362 words (3.9 pages)
- Projects IN Controlled Environment is the abbreviation for PRINCE2. It is one of the process based development method for efficient project management. The UK government used this method extensively but it also recognized widely and used in private sectors in the UK as well as internationally. This PRINCE2 method is within the public domain and it provides non-proprietorial support on best practice and guidance on managing the project. The PRINCE2 offer the required project governance to work in and around waterfall delivery framework.... [tags: Project management, Management, PRINCE2]
720 words (2.1 pages)
- A Project Management Overview of XP Software Development Methodology This paper will discuss at a high-level how software development projects are run when implementing the extreme programming (XP) methodology, and explain during which step, XP covers the Project Management Institute’s (PMI) process groups, and management knowledge areas (MKA) . After the XP process is discussed, XP’s unique way of developing code, its documentation management, and user-centric approach are explained. Since XP is written as being easy to implement, a short discussion of where the real work occurs is included, then guidance on what types projects it is best to implement XP.... [tags: Project Management]
1895 words (5.4 pages)
- Agile Project management is one of the industries dominating methodology for project management in IT. It is an incremental and iterative way to manage the build and design activities for constructing an IT product, services, and project development in manner which is highly interactive and flexible. In this methodology, scope is defined in granularity that is appropriate with time horizon and checked with the agreement on each feature with the customer. In this methodology work steps are divided with feature breakdown structures.... [tags: agile methodology, it projects, quality]
1549 words (4.4 pages)
- For every organization, they have their own organizational goals and standards. So based on their goals and standards they have different things to do. The PMBOK® Guide consists of five process groups or phases which are Initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and controlling, closing phases these are the standard practices for a project. Initiating process (Schwalbe, 2014): In initiating process phase, the project is defined and given approval for the project. This process is done in each and every phase.... [tags: Project management, Management, Unified Process]
717 words (2 pages)
- Project Quality management Project management ensures that the task is accomplished minimizing the risk factors in specific time frame and minimizing the cost incurred while maximizing customer satisfaction. Henceforth, project management mainly deals with the areas such as cost, time, quality, scope, management of stakeholders, human resource management and risk management. Every project has a projected level of quality. When the projects vary, there will be variation in quality too. The specifications established by the customer will decide what the expected level of quality is.... [tags: Project management, Management, Quality assurance]
705 words (2 pages)