Ever imagined a woman so old and small but was still willing to go through any obstacles for a loved one? In the short story, "A Worn Path", by Eudora Welty, the author explains the long journey of an old woman named Phoenix Jackson, who is on a mission to get to her grandson 's medicine. Through her adventurous journey, Welty shows the readers the character traits of Phoenix being courageous, ambitious and full of imagination.
Phoenix Jackson was an old, small woman who carried a thin cane made from an umbrella and wore a dark striped dress with a red rag wrapped around her head (Welty). Although she was old and not dressed the best, she was courageous enough to travel the woods by herself just to get to her grandson 's medicine. Through this travel, the author first shows her trait of being courageous. Phoenix says "Out of my way, all you foxes, owls, beetles, jack rabbits, coons and wild animas!"(Welty). This shows she is courageous because she is not scared of anything that is coming her way. Phoenix explains that...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “It’s best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes” quoted by Anne Baxter. In a Worn Path Phoenix Jackson rises from the ashes to receive her grandson medicine. Even though she is sick and the journey is dangerous, she is determined not to fail. Throughout the story, Phoenix Jackson character symbolizes that of the legendary bird as it relate to their journey, appearances, and fearlessness. Phoenix Jackson expedition is similar to the bird journey.... [tags: Eudora Welty, A Worn Path, Jackson, Mississippi]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- “A Worn Path” told the story of an old woman named Phoenix Jackson. She had to make a long, adventurous journey to town in order to receive medicine for her grandson who had fallen ill. Phoenix Jackson was determined to reach her destination, and she did not let anything stand in her way. Throughout her voyage, she displayed characteristics of being brave, unselfish, and senile. Phoenix Jackson was a very brave woman; there are two examples from the story that displays her courage. “Now and then there was a quivering in the thicket.... [tags: A Worn Path, Eudora Welty, 1994 albums]
766 words (2.2 pages)
- The mythological story "A Worn Path” is of tales and figures, the most considerable, being the legend of the phoenix. There are numerous symbols and allusions brought about in the story relating to the legend of the phoenix. The phoenix is a bird that comes from Egyptian mythology. The best analogy of the phoenix is a magnificent bird. The phoenix has astonishing powers. It has the knack to materialize and vanish in the blink of an eye. The myth states the phoenix travels to the sun. The sun gives the phoenix it powers.... [tags: Character Analysis]
950 words (2.7 pages)
- Phoenix Jackson in A Worn Path “’Out of my way, all you foxes, owls, beetles, jack rabbits, coons and wild animals!… Keep the big wild hogs out of my path. Don’t let none of those come running my direction. I got a long way’” (116). Through the character of Phoenix Jackson in “A Worn Path” Welty produces a picture of an aging African-American woman in the Jim Crow South. In “A Worn Path” we learn of the hardships Jackson faces on her weekly journey for medicine to sooth the pain of her grandson.... [tags: Papers]
501 words (1.4 pages)
- "Captains Courageous" written by Rudyard Kipling, tells of a boy spoiled by the immense wealth of his family. This boy would not do a hard days' work for the life of him. His father pampered him with servants and little discipline. His mother would not discipline him either. This book shows the effect of lax discipline on the young. Harvey, the boy, had no respect towards his elders nor superiors. He did not care to work, but to merely order those around him to work. He thought that all men could be bought and thought very linearly.... [tags: captains courageous]
1443 words (4.1 pages)
- Nature and instinct of mankind harvests a constant craving, lust, and ambitious drive for self-improvement. The struggles of life to have one’s voice heard, make a difference, be loved and remembered, strives individuals to leave an eternal mark on mankind’s earth dwelling timeline. These motives keep us moving forward day by day. In the novel Great Expectations, Charles Dickens tells the tale of a glaringly ambitious orphan child “raised by hand” (5) elbowing his way up the social class ladder during the Victorian Era.... [tags: great expectations, ambitious, charles dickens]
915 words (2.6 pages)
- "Little by little, one walks far." Peruvian Proverb As this cherished saying from Peru is implying, great things never happen in single leaps. It takes small steps, and plenty of determination, to get to the end. Phoenix Jackson, an elderly African-American, is a great example of this proverb as she walks that long distance to town, determination in her every step. Even in her old age Phoenix is a shining example of what can be accomplished with determination. Phoenix?s unwavering determination is clearly evidenced in her reaction to the dog, in her meeting with the hunter, and in her personal battle of age.... [tags: essays research papers]
494 words (1.4 pages)
- The Causes and Effects of Phoenix’s Unconditional Love In Eudora Welty’s short story, “A Worn Path,” Phoenix Jackson shows love, strength, and determination as she overcomes many dangerous obstacles when traveling to get her sick grandson necessary medicine. Throughout the story, Phoenix shows unconditional love to her sick grandson. The first thing that she says that stands out to me is when she says, “We is the only two left in the world” (7). A second way where we can see her showing unconditional love is when she gets a nickel from the attendant and then she uses another nickel of her own to buy the little windmill for her sick grandson.... [tags: Eudora Welty, A Worn Path, Short story, Jackson]
981 words (2.8 pages)
- Rudyard Kipling's Captains Courageous Captains Courageous, by Rudyard Kipling, was referred to as a children’s nautical adventure story, but it has entertained audiences for generations. The main character in the story was Harvey Cheyne. Harvey is the son of a millionaire and a snobbish little brat. He acts pretty big around the crew of the ship he was aboard. The next important character is Manuel. Manuel is a Portuguese boy about Harvey’s age, which by the way is in his pre to mid teens.... [tags: Rudyard Kipling Captains Courageous]
949 words (2.7 pages)
- The Character of Phoenix Jackson in Eudora Welty's A Worn Path 'A Worn Path' is the tale of the unstoppable love and care of a grandmother for her grandchild. Phoenix Jackson is Eudora Welty's main character and protagonist in A Worn Path.. Phoenix is an old, frail woman who attempts to proceed on a long and treacherous journey through the woods to Natchez. Phoenix strives forward despite frequent obstacles in her way that include her own failing health and her grandchild's slim chance of survival.... [tags: Worn Path essays Welty]
1360 words (3.9 pages)