Number of children under 16 in household Frequency Percent
0 33819 73.5
1 5828 12.7
2 4601 10.0
3 1348 2.9
4 344 0.7
5 66 0.1
6 22 0
7 3 0
Total 46031 100
The mode and the median of this data are 0. Showing that the most common number of children aged under 16, in a household is 0 with 73.5% of the responses. The remaining 26.5% was largely made up of households with one or children, with the combined percent of those with 3-7 children being only 3.7% of the households. The Mean of 0.45 and a standard deviation of 0.871 show also that there is only a small amount of houses in the data set that have actually got children living in them.
b) We can see that the majority of respondents did not live in inner city areas with 42,154 (91.6%) of the sample living in non-inner city areas. In contrast, only 3877 (8.4%) of the sample were living in inner cities.
i) There are 111 cases of missing data which may have been caused by people feeling uncomfortable in disclosing their religion, especially if they are the victim of hate crime. The category people people most commonly affiliate themselves was Christianity, with 75% of people identifying as Christian. People of no religion made up the majority of the remaining 25% with 19.1% of the respondents identifying as non-religious.
Religious Affiliation Frequency Percent
Christian 34516 75.0
Buddhist 228 0.5
Hindu 518 1.1
Muslim 1211 2.6
Other religion 642 1.4
No religion 8805 19.1
Missing 111 0.2
Total 45920 100
2) Those living in an urban, inner city area are more likely to have experienced crime in the last 12 months with 24.2% being a victim compared to 18.7% of non-inner city respondents, showing a 5.5% difference. As is visible from the expected counts, inner city re...
... middle of paper ...
...e confidence people have in the police in their neighbourhoods, whether they are victims of crime or not.
A weak positive correlation of 0.10 can be said to exist for the relationship between age and worry about being the victim of crime. Moreover with R square equalling 0.01 only a small proportion of the ‘worry about being a victim of crime’ variable can be explained by the respondent’s age. An increase of worry of 0.302 can be expected from every increase of 1 year in someone’s age. However it is important to be aware of the 37,140 cases of missing data in the ‘worry’ variable as this limits how many cases can be analysed alongside the respondent’s age. This could be because people find it difficult to talk about issues related to their personal feelings about crime, or simply because there is no established way of measuring fear of crime like there is for age
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Different to other American wars there was a high participation in the Civil war of children under the age of 18. The exact number is unknown but they probably made five percent out of all soldiers and they were involved in all aspects. Some had to fight in the battlefield while others - especially girls - served as scouts, or nurses for the injured people. And even those who didn’t participate directly in the war saw their lives changing because they had to take on the responsibilities of their family members who were actually in the war.... [tags: children under the age of 18 soldiers]
655 words (1.9 pages)
- Driving Under the Influence Many people don’t realize that when they get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol they are not only putting their lives in danger, but they are also endangering every single other person on the roads. Whether it’s a sixteen year old girl, a single mother with her newborn in the back seat, or an eighty year old man. There are more than tens of thousands of deaths due to drunk driving accidents every year. This is one issue that is not going away and it is our duty as citizens of this nation to do something about it.... [tags: Drunk driving, Driving under the influence]
1535 words (4.4 pages)
- Disabilities, such as down syndrome , autism and ADHD is a major medical concern throughout the world. This issue has been one of the major health problems in Malaysia, over the past few years. According to the statistical data from the Ministry Of Health, the number children registered under special needs from 2004 to 2008 showed a major decline, only for it to unfortunately start rising again in the year 2009 till year 2012. The highest amount of children registered was in the year 2004 with a total of 5710 students and the least being in the year 2008 with only a total of 1446 students.... [tags: Disability, Childhood, Special education]
1098 words (3.1 pages)
- ... In addition, about 40% of the land is wet. As it has been earlier pointed out, majority of people lives in slums. This situation poses a challenge of attaining Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) of halving by 2015 the proportion of people without sustainable access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation. Epidemiologically, diarrhea diseases are associated with poor hygiene in terms of hand washing (Lweendo, 2010). For example, the Cross-sectional study that was conducted among the Lagos community revealed that only 46% washed their hands before eating.... [tags: world health, mortality in children]
956 words (2.7 pages)
- Every minute, 21 children under the age of five will die, mainly as a result of disease (“Goal: Reduce Child Mortality” 2). That is 29,000 children every single day. What is even more distressing is that most of these deaths could have been prevented if these children were born in a developed country. In fact, an Ethiopian child is 30 times more likely to die by his or her fifth birthday than a child born in the United States ("Goal: Reduce Child Mortality” 2). Disease is currently an enormous issue facing countries in the developing world as disease is responsible for 42% of deaths compared to just 1.2% in industrialized countries, (Gaziano, Thomas et al, 27).... [tags: Developing country, Developed country, Health care]
1633 words (4.7 pages)
- Do you think that the marketing to children is a social problem. INTRODUCTION The marketing of products to children has continued since the emergence of the free market policy in the 20th century. However, in the recent decades, there has been a drastic increase in the expansion of marketing efforts targeted at children. The average child views thousands of television and print advertisements every year including television shows, magazines and web based advertisements which are targeted specifically at children.... [tags: children, marketers, t.v., internet]
2102 words (6 pages)
- Divorce is becoming a worldwide phenomenon, significantly affecting children’s well-being. It radically changes their future causing detrimental effects. According to (Julio Cáceres-Delpiano and Eugenio Giolito, 2008) nearly 50% of marriages end with divorce. 90% of children who lived in the USA in the 1960s stayed with their own biological parents, whereas today it makes up only 40% (Hetherington, E. Mavis, and Margaret Stanley-Hagan, 1999). Such an unfavorable problem has been increasing, because in 1969, the legislation of California State changed the divorce laws, where spouses could leave without providing causes (Child Study Center, 2001).... [tags: Impact of Divorce on Children and Adolescents]
2257 words (6.4 pages)
- Children of Conflict: Afghanistan In the crowded city of Kabul there is a growing population of about six million children who dropped out of school to work and support their families. These children over work themselves every day to earn 10 cents per plastic bag, running between cars after pedestrians. Girls disguise themselves as boys so they would be able to go and sell plastic bags and earn a few Afghanis to get some bread to feed the family. The United Nations estimated that there are about fifty-thousand street children in Kabul alone.... [tags: unfortunate children, money, military]
1303 words (3.7 pages)
- “Have you seen what Emily posted?” said a middle-school girl to her friend. “I know, she is such a loser”, replied the other friend. In the world of social media, privacy is limited and gossip spreads as fast as you can press “POST”. This can cause cyber bullying on a large scale, since it is not face to face. For many children this makes them depressed and less optimistic about school. It also distracts many students from school and can be a great place for online predators to find their next victim.... [tags: effects on children under 18]
1117 words (3.2 pages)
- Suicide and Children Suicide has become much more common in children than it used to be. For children under age 15, about 1-2 out of every 100,000 children will commit suicide. For those 15-19, about 11 out of 100,000 will commit suicide. These are statistics for children in the USA. Suicide is the fourth leading cause of death for children ages 10-14 and the third leading cause of death for teenagers 15-19. Recent evidence suggests it is the lack of substance abuse, guns, and relationship problems in younger children which accounts for the lower suicide rates in this group.... [tags: Children Kids Suicide Killing Essays]
2138 words (6.1 pages)