Michael Jordan was born on February 17, 1963, in Brooklyn, New York (Michael Jordan). He was the fourth of five children born to James and Deloris Jordan. Both of Michael’s parents worked for a living. Michael’s father, James, was a mechanic and his mother, Deloris, worked as a bank teller (Michael Jordan). Due to the fact that James and Deloris felt the streets of Brooklyn were unsafe to raise their family, they moved to Wilmington, North Carolina. As a young child, Michael was immediately interested in sports. Baseball was the sport that Michael fell in love with first, but years later Michael started playing basketball.
Michael waited until his sophomore year to try out for the basketball team. He was cut from the varsity team and put on the junior varsity team (Christopher 12). The following summer he grew four inches and practiced tirelessly everyday. The next year he made the varsity team, and his hard work had paid off as he averaged twenty five points per game and was selected to the McDonalds All American Team following his senior season (Michael Jordan).
Michael’s outstanding junior and senior seasons caught the eye of various colleges including Duke, South Carolina, Syracuse, and Virginia. However, there was one college that stood out to him. In 1981 he accepted a scholarship to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill...
... middle of paper ...
...official owner. Jordan is still the present owner of the Bobcats. Jordan also is the owner of Jordan brand company which manufactures clothes and shoes. In April of 2009 Jordan received the most prestigious award; He was inducted into the Hall of Fame (Michael Jordan).
Christopher, Matt. Michael Jordan: Legends in Sports. New York: Little, Brown and Company,
Keller, Thomas. “Michael Jordan Above the rim.” United Athletes 11 September 2002. Web. 7
Michael Jordan. A&E Television Networks, LLC, 1996-2013. Web. 7 November 2013
Michael Jordan Biography. Encyclopedia of World Biography. JRank. Web. 7 November 2013.
NBA. NBA Media Ventures, LLC, web. 7 November 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- After winning his third consecutive NBA championship, at the peak of his career, Michael Jordan, on October 6, 1993, announced his retirement shocking the entire sports world. Jordan said, "the mental aspect is not the same - the challenge is not as great. I promised myself - and I have said many times publicly - that when the mental challenge began to fade, I would leave. That time is now here." He then decided to pick up the game of baseball, for 1994 baseball season, playing for the Birmingham Barons, an affiliate of the Chicago White Sox in the Class AA Southern League.... [tags: Biography]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- Michael Jackson was born on August 29, 1958, and raised in Gary, Indiana by Katherine Jackson and Joe Jackson. Michael Jackson’s parents had a total of nine children and he was the seventh to be born. His singing career initiated at the young age of 5 and was the lead singer of the Jackson 5. The Jackson 5 consisted of the five brothers: Jackie, Jermaine, Tito, Marlon and lead singer Michael. They would play at local clubs and bars, however, fortunately, as their talent thrive, their audience expanded.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, La Toya Jackson]
1060 words (3 pages)
- Michael Jordan is known world round ad “Air Jordan”. He acquired this nickname by jumping from the free throw line and dunking. This simulated that he was “flying” through the air. By breaking countless records, winning many NBA titles and being known world round as the best basketball player there ever was, he has forever changed the game of basketball. Michael Jordan has broken many NBA records. One of the most prestigious records he holds is that he has five MVP awards. The MVP award is given to the player that has shown the most value to their team in the whole NBA league.... [tags: Sports, NBA]
648 words (1.9 pages)
- Biography on Michael Jeffery Jordan Michael Jeffery Jordan was born in Brooklyn, New York on February 17, 1963. His parent's names are James Jordan (his father) and Deloris Jordan (his mother). When Michael was at a young age he and his family moved to Wilmington, North Carolina. As a child his favorite sport was baseball. However in the city there was not very much room to practice. The one thing that kept him from being in-active as a child was a basketball hoop in the back of his yard. He would play with his friends and family.... [tags: Papers]
1734 words (5 pages)
- Biography of Michael Jordan Michael Jeffrey Jordan is known by many people as the best basketball player ever to play the game. Jordan played for the Chicago Bulls, helping them obtained six championship titles in eight years. Now remembered for being the best and the most popular athlete in the sports world. He had a great influence on the people. "Jordan was just another great legend" (Stein 2). Being a role model on and off the court Jordan showed his abilities to play the game and his kindness towards other people, especially those who admired him the most.... [tags: Papers]
904 words (2.6 pages)
- The Chicago Bulls, they have gone through many stages of success, including six championships with Michael Jordon’s Bulls. Michael Jordan in fact is the reason why most people know about the Bulls. The Bulls though do run deeper than just Michael Jordan, because before Jordan came to the Bulls the Bulls had to come to the NBA. The Chicago Bulls are one of the most memorable and historic professional basketball teams in history. The Bulls joined the National Basketball Association in 1965. Before this the Bulls had been known as the Chicago stags, the stags had been one of the best teams in the Business Basketball Association since 1946 and even played one season in the NBA before they folde... [tags: NBA Championship, Michael Jordan]
2189 words (6.3 pages)
- At every level of basketball there are players that have shined on and off the court, this is true for two exceptional players like Michael Jordan and LeBron James. The debate over these two marvelous athletes and who is the better of the two, has divided sports fans since LeBron earned his first Finals Championship. For many years Michael Jordan has been seen as one of the greatest players to ever play the game of basketball. Michael Jordan was first drafted into the NBA by the Chicago Bulls as the third pick in the first round of the NBA draft of 1984, after finishing his college career at the University of North Carolina.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1147 words (3.3 pages)
- Many people who watch or play basketball always argue who is the best of all time, or which basketball player is better than the other. And the most two basketball players that get compared with each other is Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. Both of these two players are exciting to watch when they are on the basketball court. Taking a closer look into both of their careers you can see major similarities but you can also see where both of them have their different paths. Even though they both make the basketball world a better place the real question that needs to be answered is who is better.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- In 1981, Michael Jordan stepped foot on North Carolina’s campus as a top recruited freshman and was soon to be one of only four freshmen to ever earn a starting spot under Coach Dean Smith. The University of North Carolina was where Michael Jordan’s legacy started, and as of now, it will not end anytime soon. In his playing days, Michael was a second overall draft pick, Nike client, six-time NBA champ, six-time NBA finals MVP, five-time NBA MVP, and a fourteen-time all-star. After his playing days were over, Jordan’s impact on the game and on the fans never died.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- December 21, 1891- The birth of basketball. It has been changed from simply shooting a soccer ball into a peach basket to dunking a seven pound, leather ball into an iron rim. In the early years of the game, basketball was not as popular as other sports. In the 1985 NBA draft all this would change with the emergence of a 6'6" basketball phenomenon from Wilmington, North Carolina. Although going third in the draft, he recreated the game and is known as the best player to ever touch a basketball; he is Michael Jordan.... [tags: Basketball Michael Jordan]
1010 words (2.9 pages)