Essay PreviewMore ↓
Susan Brownmiller is a feminist, the founder of Women Against Pornography, and an author of several books (57). The essay “Let’s Put Pornography Back in the Closet” comes from the book Take Back the Night, published in 1980 (57). She clearly wants to inform and persuade the audience of this essay to believe that pornography is degrading to women. In her introduction, Brownmiller tries to gain the reader’s sympathy by stating, “Free speech is one of the great foundations on which our democracy rests” (57). However, she does not think that pornography should be protected under the First Amendment. Her reasoning is biased and based on her own moral beliefs.
In addition, she contradicts her own stance on the position when she mentions that previous literature containing sexually explicit content should not be censored (Brownmiller 59). Brownmiller paints a very strong, emotional, and offensive picture when she claims that women are, “being stripped, bound, raped, tortured, mutilated, and murdered in the name of commercial entertainment” (59). However, this statement is fallacious and does not provide any factual evidence. Furthermore, she makes the hasty generalization that pornography can make people think that certain things, such as rape, are acceptable (Brownmiller 59). Once again, her claim lacks support and relies solely on a faulty pathos appeal.
After reading “Let’s Put Pornography Back in the Closet” by Susan Brownmiller, my opinion regarding the censorship of pornography has not changed. Although her essay was very forthright and descriptive, it seemed very biased.
How to Cite this Page
"Let’s Put Pornography Back in the Closet." 123HelpMe.com. 18 Nov 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In the United States someone has to be eighteen years old before they can buy pornography, but just because they have to be eighteen to buy it doesn't mean they have to be eighteen to look at it. Everywhere around the Internet one may stumble upon pornography where anyone, including children, may look at it. Pornography is not something to be proud of and is not something that our children should be able to see randomly on the Internet or in a store at a young age. In Susan Brownmiller"s essay, "Let"s Put Porn Back in the Closet," she argues that "pornography represents hatred of women, that pornography"s intent is to humiliate, degrade, and dehumanize the female body for the pu... [tags: Argumentative Essay, Censorship 2014]
722 words (2.1 pages)
- Jeannie woke to the sound of the alarm. Morning like autumn had come too early. Looking out the window at the gray sky she let out a small sigh and scooted a little further down in the covers. The thought of the day's tasks where depressing enough without adding in the cold and gray of the day. Putting off her first task of getting the kids up and dressed, for just a few more minutes. She started to stretch out her aching body but reflexively jerked her hand back. She had touched Jim’s spot or at least the spot that had been his up until two months ago.... [tags: money, closet, missing, magic, hunting]
1816 words (5.2 pages)
- The Pornography Debate Pornography has been the topic of discussion in the court systems for years. Many would like to see legislation against it and software to filter it. The problem is it's not that easy and making laws against it would pose a problem against the first amendment. There have many issues brought up on the grounds that it is demoralizing to women and is filth for the eyes of children. But, is pornography really that harmful. There are many reasons why the government is having trouble putting restrictions on pornography.... [tags: Pornography]
823 words (2.4 pages)
- To redeem themselves from the shame adults would say Internet pornography would be considered freedom of speech, but listed in that 1st amendment freedom of speech is evident but it has limitations. Internet pornography also affects adult addicts. It could get out of hand or to the point where it could make an impact on others where someone could get raped or infected with a disease. America is on the brink of banning Internet pornography, in fact down did ban pornography, but most individuals still entertain themselves with these sites.... [tags: Pornography, Addiction, Pornography addiction]
1458 words (4.2 pages)
- Watching sexual activities through mass media is prevalent around the world. Due to the recent progress of science and technology, pornography has become a more commercialized activity and a source of prostitution. It is nonetheless certain that everybody does not consume pornography for the same purpose. Some practitioners and producers may consider it as a means of subsistence or a re-enforcement of sexual desire and arousal. Pornography is rejected by many religious organizations on a divine and societal moral basis.... [tags: Pornography Essays]
601 words (1.7 pages)
- Porn, its everywhere. Go to any major search engine and you are well on your way to viewing some of the finest cyber porn around. No age verification, no credit card required, all it takes is just a couple of clicks on the mouse. But wait a second, why is it so easy, was it always like this. Not really, as we have seen, the Internet and the pornography industry have come together to make quite an explosion that has brought many issues to the surface. It's a scary fact to realize that 83.5% images available on the Internet are pornographical.... [tags: Internet Pornography Essays]
2226 words (6.4 pages)
- It’s a multi billion dollar industry, it easily accessible by adults and adolescents, its addiction rate is very high. Its not video games or cigarettes it’s Pornography. Pornography is tearing the fabric of society in half and the demand for it is higher than ever. Some people think pornography is just the simple viewing of scantily clad women but it is more than that. The psychological and mental state it puts people in is the worst. Some people think that there isn’t a problem with it but it takes a toll when you don’t notice the effects it is having on your character.... [tags: Pornography Essays]
727 words (2.1 pages)
- Steven Hirsch is still a handsome man at age 39; he has a golden tan, long brown hair, and a new black Ferrari. Steven founded Vivid Videos in 1984 when he was 23. Now president of the lucrative company, he discusses brand recognition and foreign licensing rights from his office nestled in the solid middle class community of Van Nuys, California. Steven sounds much like the young Hollywood movie executives not far from his inconspicuous studios ... until he starts listing some of his company's video credits: Ho-tel Pacifico, Lonestar Virgins #9, and Life on Beaver Ave.... [tags: Pornography Essays]
1937 words (5.5 pages)
- The Closet Wolfgang knew about his father's past. It wasn't talked about much, but when it was, Wolfgang's mouth would perspire saliva and he would swallow it with fear. His past scared him, scared him so much one time while listening a small puddle began to form around his left leg. His father had never hit him or anything. His friends, they all got the belt, slap across the butt. Wolfgang tried to explain to them the stories, but they all thought he had it easy. The stories consisted of a kid, a non descriptive child.... [tags: Creative Writing Essays]
1185 words (3.4 pages)
- My Closet I sat quietly on the couch next to my father. His short muscular arm extended over my head as if to protect his little girl. His fingers got lost in my strands of hair, as I yanked my head forward as if to signal I did not want him to play with my hair. My new baby doll with big blonde ringlets and skin that smelled like a baby’s skin after it has just been powdered, rested in my lap. My meek hands stroked the tiny doll as if it were alive. My father knelt down and kissed my forehead as he said, “Don’t worry, Princess, Mommy will….Oh here she is now!” I sprang from my warm, sheltered seat and sprinted to the front window as quickly as my tiny legs could move.... [tags: essays papers]
1173 words (3.4 pages)