To begin with, it was tradition to go to my grandmas on Saturdays for lunch. She loved getting the family together, trying to keep us close, and hearing about everyone’s weeks. Susan lived in Trenton, Georgia, so she was usually late to the get-togethers when she was able to come. Even though she lived so far away, we still were close and talked regularly. If I could have picked a favorite aunt, it would have been her. Susan was always so fun and full of life. Others opinion of her never bothered her, and I always looked up to her for that. After everyone had made their plates at our Saturday lunch, she finally arrived. She had her daughter, Mariah, along with her. They were not going to stay long, because they had plans to go to the creek later to swim. We all ate and spent time together. Susan told us stories of when she and my father were children and how much things have changed since then. She told us about Mariah’s new boyfriend and her new job. She invited my sister and me to go back to Georgia with them, but our parents would n...
... middle of paper ...
...someone talk about Susan.
In conclusion, my aunt passing away was one of the most traumatic events of my life. I will never forget that last day we were able to spend together or how I felt when I first found out about her death. Losing her made me so much stronger. There will always be a place in my heart for her. I wish we would have had more time together. Her death taught me to always appreciate those around you, because you might wake up tomorrow and they are not here anymore. Your life can change drastically at any moment. I am sorry it took losing my aunt to realize not to take the people you loved for granted. There are still times when it is hard for me and my family to accept that she really is gone. We do our best to carry on and hope we make her proud. Susan was a wonderful person, inside and out. She impacted many people throughout her short-lived life.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Mistakes Made, Lessons Learned One of the best things in life is being able to learn so much from a person who is so close to you. I am fortunate enough to have a father who can answer just about any question I have about money. Due to his business degree, he knows exactly what to do when a stressful money situation comes up and I am so grateful that I can always count on his advice to solve any difficulties I am facing. My dad has had many big financial problems thrown at him and somehow he finds a way to get through them all and still makes sure to put money into his savings account.... [tags: Personal life, Happiness, Psychology]
1769 words (5.1 pages)
- What I Have Learned When I think about what counts as learning to me, I think about my life. Just being able to live in this world to me is a learning experience, because I feel that my life is full of lessons and I believe that it takes lessons to learn in life. I feel that I have learned to understand learning more and to also understand the value of learning. As I get older I can comprehend subject matters more than I could ever do before. I am learning to be more serious and I find myself not taking life for granted anymore.... [tags: Personal Narrative Life Lessons Essays]
1697 words (4.8 pages)
- I am a band parent. A proud band parent. I was in band many years ago. I had the privilege of being in the Spring/Westfield band program in Houston, Texas. The high school was divided into two separate schools my senior year, and I attended Westfield. The Spring and Westfield band programs both went on to win the ultimate marching band championship - Grand Nationals. I also attended college on a music scholarship. Many of my friends from college are band directors in Texas and other parts of the United States.... [tags: personal narrative]
691 words (2 pages)
- Do you realize how much you have learned in just a short few months. Maybe you don’t realize it, but once you reflect about it, you will soon find out that you took more away from school than just a nap or two. It’s not only reading from a textbook and listening to lectures that count, but also the life lessons and preparing yourself yourself for college and starting a career. You might not want to think of high school this way, but it is the stepping stone for college. Through my junior year, I taught myself that there will be things that I don’t like, and with that, you teach yourself to get through it because it is not going to be the last time you are out in a situation like this.... [tags: High school, Academic term, Personal life]
1089 words (3.1 pages)
- It is 1:30 AM, Thursday morning; I have finally completed the mid-term project for my Data Structures and Algorithms class. I close my laptop, remove the contact lenses from my eyes and place them in the lens container, turn off the bedroom light, and go to bed. “BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!” The time is now 5:00 AM. Struggling to open my eyes, I blindly search for the snooze button on my alarm clock. As soon as I hit the snooze button, I hear Caitlin yelling, “Get up Aki. Let’s go.... [tags: Personal Experience]
1153 words (3.3 pages)
- Lessons Learned Are Lessons Lived A few years ago, while helping my grandfather plant pecan trees in Tennessee, I realized something a bit disturbing. My grandfather never would live long enough to see those trees mature and produce pecans. Yet, there he was, toiling away with no possibility of personal benefit. When I asked him why he would plant trees knowing he would never enjoy the harvest, he just smiled and shook his head. Then he said, "Son, of all the pecans I've eaten in my life, someone else had planted the tree.... [tags: College Admissions Essays]
498 words (1.4 pages)
- First, this essay explores several components consisting of lessons learned in relation to individual behavior, organizational behavior, and organization structure. Personality insights provide self-awareness and predict how one’s personality traits influence individual behavior. It is also helpful in predicting how an individual manages interpersonal skills to effectively work with others. Next, organizations differ in structure, personnel, and other factors, which impact workplace behavior and interpersonal interactions.... [tags: Personality psychology]
1370 words (3.9 pages)
- What lessons have we learned in the post-9/11 world. What actions and organizing techniques should we discard, and what methods should we revisit. Again, the problem is that the antiwar movement is lacking actual organizers, particularly at the community level. I think part of the dilemma is that people see activists like Kathy Kelly and Media Benjamin and ask themselves, "How do I fit into this?" While both individuals, and those like them, should be praised and respected, not everyone can do what Kathy and Media do: travel overseas, get arrested, spend time in jail, etc.... [tags: Iraq War, 2003 invasion of Iraq, Activism]
1130 words (3.2 pages)
- Lessons Learnt From Your Little One Your little one has more wisdom to impart than you think. By Wairimu Gikenye As a parent, the days and nights are long, but with years passing by so fast, you sadly come to the realization that the years with your little one are truly short and you truly grasp the meaning of the cliché ‘they grow up too fast’. You have seen them through those spectacular ‘grab-the-camera’ baby milestones - their first smile, word and walk and even the bitter sweet times like teething and potty training.... [tags: personal reflection, wisdom in the young]
677 words (1.9 pages)
- Lessons Learned in Kate O’Brien’s Land of Spices Kate O’Brien’s Land of Spices is a good read especially if the bookworm is from a catholic school upbringing. The story’s contents complete with the antics of the girls and the lack of patience in the sisters is recognizable from memories drawn on similar events. The nuns’ softer emotions were hidden away from the students and only their hard-heartedness evident in the school’s classrooms. In sixth grade during the fall of 1963 after President Kennedy was shot and killed in Dallas, Texas, a Dominican sister was seen at school with tears in her eyes.... [tags: Land Spices]
2254 words (6.4 pages)