General Purpose: To inform
Specific Purpose: To inform my listeners about the benefits of laughter & how to incorporate it in their daily life
Central Idea: Humor incorporated in your daily life promotes emotional, mental, and physiological healing
I. Attention Device & Rapport Building (Self-Disclosure)
A. Humor [Infomercial].
1. Different types of humor- this product is authentic. Not like all those copycats……….
2. Positive Effects of humor
B. Humor [PowerPoint slide will be shown].
1. Research studies
a) A recent research showed that pre-school-aged children laugh up to 400 times a day, but by the time we reach adulthood, we laugh a mere 17 times per day on average!
b) According to some recent research published in the Archives of General Psychiatry, elderly optimistic people, those who expected good things to happen (rather than bad things), were less likely to die than pessimists.
c) Among the 65-85 year-old study participants, those who were most optimistic were 55 percent less likely to die from all causes than the most pessimistic people. What’s more, after researchers adjusted the results for age, smoking status, alcohol consumption, physical activity and other measures of health, the optimists were 71 percent less likely to die than the pessimists!
d) It has been calculated that 100 laughs equal ten minutes on a rowing machine. It is called "inner jogging."
a) Charts from Humor The psychology of living buoyantly
II. Orienting Material & Preview
A. Laughter can be implemented easily without it being time consuming and expensive like therapy, so what’s stopping you from taking some time to humor yourself
B. Humor i...
... middle of paper ...
I. Graphic designs displaying humor
Lefcourt, H. M. (2000). Experiencing Humor in Everyday Life, Sense of Humor and Physiological Stress Responses. Humor: the psychology of living buoyantly (pp. 28,141). New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers.
Moody, R. A. (1980). Natural History of Laughter. Laugh after laugh the healing power of humor (p. 28). Washington, D.C.: NLS.
Mora-Ripoll, R. (2010). The Therapeutic Value of Laughter in Medicine. Alternative Therapies in Health & Medicine, 16(6), 59.
Peter, D. L. (1982). Health, Wealth and Happiness The Best Medicine. The Laughter Prescription: the Tools of Humor and How to Use Them (pp. 8,9). New York: New York: Ballantine.
Provine, R. R. (2000). Contagious Laughter and the Brain. Laughter: a scientific investigation (pp. 129-151). New York: Viking.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... For example, a classroom that uses humorous posters on the wall or cartoons that make students laugh makes for a more relaxed atmosphere, similar to using humor in playing music in a gym to motivate exercise. Anise indicated, “Humor is a motivator; use it to your advantage while working out…researchers at Vanderbilt University have even found that hearty laughter can burn calories equivalent to several minutes on the rowing machine or the exercise bike!” (Anise). Humor can certainly liven up any subject being discussed or presented, either in the work or school setting, or even in the home setting, while doing homework.... [tags: learning, healing, feel, good, aids]
2504 words (7.2 pages)
- Humor: A Sixth Sense Since I was a baby I was always known as the child with the golden smile. My parents always would say my smile would take me far. People often ask me why I am always so happy and I usually reply with a sarcastic remark like “because I didn 't swallow a doorknob today” or something along those lines; but the real reason is that I have a quality that not everybody has, a sense of humor. Humor has many definitions, but to me it is the ability to perceive and express something that is absurd or incongruous.... [tags: Laughter, Comedy, Humour, Humor]
1062 words (3 pages)
- 1.3.2 HONEY DRESSINGS AND WOUND HEALING: A number of factors such as wound type, phase of healing process, presence/absence of bacteria, pressure, body type as well as immunosuppression may delay or promote wound healing (Hess 2011). The acidity of honey is said to help in the provision of oxygen from haemoglobin that helps tissue regeneration and growth as well as synthesis of collagen (Al Wali et al 2011, Molan 2011). Mohamed et al (2015), studies the efficacy and safety of natural honey on the healing if foot ulcers, and highlights that healing of wounds with no contraction or scars using honey was achieved with an average duration of 23.8 days on all patients compared to 120.2 days prior... [tags: Wound healing, Wound, Chronic wound, Healing]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- The art and science of medicine is a continuously growing field of knowledge. In spite of the vast developments that have transpired through the ages in the history of healing, scientists have barely uncovered everything there is to know about how the healthy body functions and how it reacts to disease. We cannot assume that what we know now is sufficient to solve our common problems in health or that in some cases, there is no remedy for yet, unsolved puzzles of incurable disease. The natural process of healing is something that occurs in all creatures, and it involves various mechanisms that repair, restore, and preserve the organism as well as ensure that the species survives and in many... [tags: clinical practice, placebo effect, healing]
1453 words (4.2 pages)
- I am not funny. If you were to ask my friends, they would inform you that I am only funny when I am not trying to be, as in the times when I trip and fall (which happens more often than I would like) or perform some other unintentional folly. If you were to ask someone else who doesn’t know me well, I am certain that “awkward” or “quiet” would be the words chosen to describe me far more often than “hilarious”. When I do try to be funny, I am generally aware that my jokes are bad; I rely on corniness and silly mannerisms rather than wit to elicit laughter.... [tags: Humor ]
1959 words (5.6 pages)
- Healing by Prayer: What is it and What are it ramifications. Healing, that is the process of restoring health to an organism, literally to make whole again. This is a process that has been performed for many years, by many different means. Since before time was recorded people have been finding new ways to heal each other. A person gets sick or broken, and they want to be healed. That is the way of human nature. Healing can happen in almost every tissue of the body, and is a vital part of life.... [tags: prayer, healing, faith, science]
918 words (2.6 pages)
- Humor Humor is when an object or phrase is considered funny or hilarious. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, one of the definitions of humor is, “something that is or is designed to be comical or amusing.” What people find funny differs because there are so many types of humors that can be expressed in different ways. Humor will often lead to laughter, but some people may find a subject amusing while others may find it offensive. It can be making a racial slur or even a Yo Mama joke.... [tags: Humour, Humor, Comedy, Amusement, Harry Potter]
801 words (2.3 pages)
- Have people ever wondered why they laugh when there is something funny said. Why people laugh has always been a big mystery up until a few years ago. According to a PhD titled Robert Provine, laughter has always and will always be known to mankind. Humor has made a great effect on many people, and inside of it consists of love, and kindness.Everyone knows how to laugh, people do not have to learn how to laugh. Humor and laughter comes naturally to most humans. “Why we laugh is simple, the answer is humor” (nbcnews.com).... [tags: Comedy, Humour, Amusement, Humor, Jerry Seinfeld]
1073 words (3.1 pages)
- Humor In Advertising Introduction The Budweiser frogs, Orbit gum, and VW commercials are prime examples of how humor is used to sell an idea or product. In these companies humor is the main reason why their commercials have such success. The reason these work so well is that audiences are looking for entertainment and something fresh. Audiences are tired of being bombarded by hundreds of advertisements each day. To catch the attention of a viewer waiting for his or her show to come back on a commercial needs to be entertaining and give the viewer a reason to pay attention.... [tags: Advertisement Commercial Essays]
1941 words (5.5 pages)
- An Exploration of Spiritual Healing Throughout time, mankind has constantly been seeking ways to maintain their health and to cure those that had not been so fortunate in that task. Just about everything has been experimented with as a cure for some type of illness; whether physical or mental. There is also a third type of illness that can and is addressed, which is healing on the spiritual plan. According to research, most of the spiritual healers are concentrated in primitive societies and undeveloped areas of the world.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1713 words (4.9 pages)