When it came to the introductions of my speeches I used many different techniques. In my informative speech on how to vote in an election I used statistic like, “According to an article in the Huffington Post titled, “Youth Vote 2012 Turnout,” by Tyler Kingkade, only 19% of the voter turnout in the 2012 election was by people from the age of 18-25,” to provide my audience with a statement that was baffling and startling to catch their attention. In my persuasive value speech I did not have a topic as popular as voting for elections, so I had to familiarize my audience with players of Duke basketball and some history of their team. My persuasive value speech introductory sentence was necessary due to my audience’s lack of knowledge about Duke basketball and their program. In my conclusions, I used a very firm and act...
... middle of paper ...
...g better outlines and putting more time towards my outline. With a better outline I believe your speech skills will improve because you can implement places in your outlines to remind yourself to pause, emphasis certain points, use hand gestures at certain points. To achieve this I will spend more time on my outline and go into greater detail in my outline to make small points that can help me during my speech.
Over the course of the semester I realized I’m very far from a perfect public speaker but I can aspire to become one. With the feedback I have received over the semester and from evaluating my strengths and weaknesses while looking at my delivery, content, and overall assessment, I can become a better public speaker and a better speaker overall. You words are valuable in the world of academia and even more valuable when you know what you’re doing with them.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I remember vividly, getting off the airplane in the middle of January, and feeling the cold wind, which felt like needles, hitting against my face. We had finally reached New York. I had only heard of this city through phone conversations from my mother and father while my sisters and I awaited their return back home to our island. It was snowing that day and I remember being in awe of the white flakes that melted on my tongue as I stuck it out. It was so cold, yet still I played with the snow until my hands went numb, and even then I didn’t stop.... [tags: English language, Writing, Word, Creative writing]
1064 words (3 pages)
- On a typical hot day, the twenty-eight of August was the first day of the fall 2016 semester. I was excited to attend my English Composition I and meet my instructor. I was able to write an essay without any struggle as I learned before in the English language Institute of Akron university. However, writing an academic essay needs a lot of practice, knowledge and that what I needed in order to improve my writing skills. As an ELI student I was able to write a formal essay with fundamental requirements but without sense of creativity.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Academia, Composition studies]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- When I first learned to write, it was 2000. I went to a private school for four year olds and while we were anticipating naptime, our teacher had something else in mind. She instructed us to write cursive and we responded with confused looks on our faces. Even at this young age, I could already clearly tell I was different than everyone else; my parents had established that I was going to be getting a higher education. And to get this higher education I would have to excel in reading and writing.... [tags: High school, Writing, Middle school]
1650 words (4.7 pages)
- One day while sitting in room 242 Peltier Hall, all my classmates began talking about the grades they received on their Unit one essay. I started to tell my classmates that I never received a grade for the assignment and one of them suggested that I go talk to Mrs. Pejic. I was so nervous because I barely talked in the class, and I had to have a meeting with the professor. When I walked into Mrs. Pejic’s office for my revision appointment, I realized it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Her office was cozy and welcoming.... [tags: High school, Writing, Essay, Teacher]
1153 words (3.3 pages)
- Picture this, you have been sitting in front of your computer screen for multiple hours and still have yet to write a complete sentence. This is the struggle I encountered every time I attempted to write an Essay in WRC 1013. Before entering this course, I was unaware of the challenges that awaited me. I was somewhat familiar with the use of research and source integration, but I soon learned my knowledge of these two was not up to par for college-level writing. Throughout high school, I would just put off my essays until the day that they were due and then try to come up with something last minute.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Grammar, Linguistics]
1107 words (3.2 pages)
- Walking into this class at the beginning of the semester, my writing skills were tough, and had limited knowledge on grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation skills. This worried me that I would not get a decent, or passing grade in the class. The English professor taught me more in this class throughout the semester than any over professor had taught me since the beginning of college. A lot of time has passed since the beginning of the semester and now I’m ready to move onto English 1105 and face it for myself.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Knowledge, Essays]
854 words (2.4 pages)
- On September 14, 2016, my friend and I went to great clips to get a haircut. We went around 2:00 p.m. in the afternoon. When we first walked in, we saw four people working. All of them were around the age of 30. Two of the employees were cutting hair, and the other two were cleaning their areas. As soon as we walked in, one of the ladies dropped what she was doing and came over to the register to help us. She asked us for our information to see if she could find us in the system. Once she found me, she gave me a weird look, shook her head and said she found me.... [tags: Hairstyle, Hairdressing, Buzz cut]
1455 words (4.2 pages)
- It was just an ordinary Friday morning of my eighth-grade year with roughly two weeks of school left; my grandma picked me up and brought me to school. When I got to school, I finished up my homework in the cafeteria and talked to my friends. However, when I got into my classroom to begin the day, things quickly escalated. I saw my teacher, Mrs. Williams, writing numbers on the whiteboard- my classmates and I looked at each other confused What are those numbers for. What is she doing. My thoughts after seeing the numbers on the board were that my teacher was writing numbers that we were going to use later that day.... [tags: Thought, Mind, School, Coming out]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- The Interaction Between Body and Writing My first text for this assignment was this haiku: thank god for spring in Ypsi; makes it easier to get out of bed. It seemed appropriate to the task of attempting to write in English without using any technology, as the haiku form is traditionally concerned with the natural world. I envisioned the grass and earth on my property, newly bared to the sun again after the snows, and the letter-making materials available on the site. I could hear my paper unfolding in my head; since the point of the project was to come to terms with the bonded nature of language to technology in writing, I could see whole paragraphs about my use of found sticks and mu... [tags: Teaching Writing]
1254 words (3.6 pages)
- Welcome, class of 2012. Today I'm earning my Associate of Science degree [and let me tell you it feels great]. This fall I'll be studying physics at State University. I'm so proud to be graduating with you here at Northern Community College. Tonight, we're here to celebrate our accomplishments [and you know we deserve it!] May we not forget how far we have come, and let us look to the future and continue to push ourselves to reach for our dreams and goals. Some time ago we took that all so important first step.... [tags: Graduation Speech, Commencement Address]
1112 words (3.2 pages)