When most people hear about Bill Gates the first thing that comes to mind is the obscene amount of money he has made through out his career. Owning many different foundations, the most common foundation known to most college students is the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation that provide many different scholarships. However, this foundation also does various things to give back to communities and aiding suffering countries. Within this foundation there are also various branches such as the United States Program, The Global Development Program and the Global health program that have grown over time making the Gates a commonly used household name.
Being the founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates had already made millions of dollars while also becoming more and more famous for his work with computers. So it came as no surprise when he took over his father’s previous foundation called the William gates Foundation and renaming it the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation in 1997. Quickly donations were made to many universities and colleges such as the University of Washington. They were awarded a donation of twelve million dollars. The Gates Foundation also contributed two million dollars to the Seattle Area YMCA, twenty million dollars to the Seattle Public Library, and one million dollars to the Tacoma Art Museum. The Gates also devised plans to improve public education as well as attacking global issues. Of course one knows that at one point in time technology was only available for the rich or in other words only the rich could obtain certain information or knowledge that the poor couldn’t. Bill and Malinda gates understood this so they created a second program called the Gates Library fou...
... middle of paper ...
..., you should use those gifts as well as wisely as you can ” and the family stuck to that motto by giving back to those who are less fortunate than most of us. They gave way to opportunities that still help us today such as computers in our libraries and school, giving scholarship and grant money to those of minority, and aiding third world counties health wise and educationally thus giving everyone of every kind an opportunity of a better life.
"Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation." History. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Dec. 2013.
Press, James. "Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation History." History of Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation – FundingUniverse. : International Directory of Company Histories, Vol., Fall 2001. Web. 04 Dec. 2013.
"The Art of Giving," Business Week, October 25, 1999, p. 80.
"Giving Billions Isn't Easy," Time, July 24, 2000, pp. 52--53.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... The language called BASIC Gates and Paul and believed they could make money selling it to BASIC with other machines. Then Microsoft Partnership created and started selling it. In the next four years they created other programming languages such as Cobol and Fortran. After this , they were powerful enough to open a new division in your company, and to win his first court battle against MITS Altair inventor on the ownership of rights . Career Highlights and Awards In April 1979, the IPC received Million Dollar Award for his work and spent the money to open a new subdivision to sell software Microsoft Partnership.... [tags: public school, programming language, windows]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- ... After which he graduated from lakeside he enrolled for the fall semester at Harvard University in pursuit of a career in law. Gates attended Harvard for a year when MITS released its Altair 8800. Paul Allen, still very close to Bill saw this as a huge opportunity for business. After Bill discussed it with his parents, he dropped out of Harvard and pursued programming as a career. They told MITS they had a software that could run on the Altair, Which in reality they didn’t. MITS bought into what the boys were saying and gave them a couple of months to prepare the software.... [tags: microsoft, law, technology]
1211 words (3.5 pages)
- Table of Contents Page Introduction 2 My Inspiring Global Leader 3-5 Conclusion 5 References 6 Appendixes A Microsoft 8 B Philanthropic Work10 Introduction A leader is someone that you can look up to, someone who has a conglomerate of attributes that motivate people to follow them. There are many reasons why you can find someone amusing, intriguing or interesting but the conglomerate of actions performed by them is what makes them stand over others. A global leader is someone who has transcends the geographical limits with their contributions not only to their field but to humanity as well.... [tags: Leadership, My Inspiring Global Leader]
908 words (2.6 pages)
- Bill Gates William H. Gates Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Microsoft Corporation William (Bill) H. Gates is chairman and chief executive officer of Microsoft Corporation, the leading provider, worldwide, of software for the personal computer. and employs more than 20,000 people in 48 countries. Born on October 28, 1955, Gates and his two sisters grew up in Seattle. Their father, William H. Gates II, is a Seattle attorney. Their late mother, Mary Gates, was a schoolteacher, University of Washington regent and chairwoman of United Way International.... [tags: essays research papers]
625 words (1.8 pages)
- Foundations Paper For this assignment I have chosen to write about the Bill and Melinda Gates foundations. Being able to secure funding is a vastly leading issue for mostly ever human service organization. Whether the organization is non-profit or for-profit does not seem to make a difference when it comes to that issue. Bill and Melinda Gates are a very essential part of the everyday life within this economy. The struggle to receive funding for an organization is very difficult and an organization has to have good management because that is what will help with securing funds.... [tags: economy, funding, health]
628 words (1.8 pages)
- Bill Gates People, nowadays, spend many of their time with technology, working or having fun. One of those people who has contributed to technology is Steve Jobs, who created Apple Inc. which revolutionized the computer and mainly tablet industry with its amazing features. As equal as important as Steve Jobs, Marc Andreessen lead the creation of NCSA Mosaic, the web browser that transformed how we think about the World Wide Web. Additional to that, Tim Berners-Lee created the World Wide Web, which changed the way people communicate, work, study, and play.... [tags: microsoft, bill gates, ibm]
659 words (1.9 pages)
- How the Gates Foundation Reduces Poverty “We all have the chance to create a world where extreme poverty is the exception rather than the rule, and where all children have the same chance to thrive, no matter where they’re born” (Guacci). The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation started in 1997 when the Gates family read an article about the millions of children in poor countries who were dying from disease. They have been working to reduce poverty and poor health throughout the world ever since as well as create a better world for both future and present generations.... [tags: Extreme Poverty, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation]
1602 words (4.6 pages)
- Bill Gates Leader Report My favorite leader is William Henry Gates III, or Bill Gates to most people. Bill Gates is a computer engineer and world-class entrepreneur. He founded Microsoft Corporation in 1975 with a high school friend named Paul Allen. The leadership role that he serves is chairman and chief software architect of Microsoft Corporation. Up until 1998, Gates was CEO of the company, but he relieved himself of those duties, and currently is only a software architect and serves on the Microsoft committee.... [tags: Bill Gates]
1327 words (3.8 pages)
- Management and Change, Bill Gates William (Bill) H. Gates is chairman and chief software architect of Microsoft Corporation, the worldwide leader in software, services and Internet technologies for personal and business computing. Microsoft had revenues of US$32.19 billion for the fiscal year ending June 2002, and employs more than 50,000 people in 72 countries and regions. Born on Oct. 28, 1955, Gates grew up in Seattle with his two sisters. Their father, William H. Gates II, is a Seattle attorney.... [tags: Bill Gates Microsoft]
1978 words (5.7 pages)
- Bill Gates's Leaderhsip A Visionary Leader: Traits If we are talking creativity and ideas, Bill Gates is an American unoriginal. He is Microsoft's chief and co-founder, he is the world's richest man, and his career delivers this message: It can be wiser to follow than to lead. Let the innovators hit the beaches and take the losses; if you hold back and follow, you can clean up in peace and quiet. Gates is the Bing Crosby of American technology, granted he is an unusually hard-driving and successful businessman.... [tags: Management Leadership Bill Gates]
902 words (2.6 pages)