When most people hear about Bill Gates the first thing that comes to mind is the obscene amount of money he has made through out his career. Owning many different foundations, the most common foundation known to most college students is the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation that provide many different scholarships. However, this foundation also does various things to give back to communities and aiding suffering countries. Within this foundation there are also various branches such as the United States Program, The Global Development Program and the Global health program that have grown over time making the Gates a commonly used household name.
Being the founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates had already made millions of dollars while also becoming more and more famous for his work with computers. So it came as no surprise when he took over his father’s previous foundation called the William gates Foundation and renaming it the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation in 1997. Quickly donations were made to many universities and colleges such as the University of Washington. They were awarded a donation of twelve million dollars. The Gates Foundation also contributed two million dollars to the Seattle Area YMCA, twenty million dollars to the Seattle Public Library, and one million dollars to the Tacoma Art Museum. The Gates also devised plans to improve public education as well as attacking global issues. Of course one knows that at one point in time technology was only available for the rich or in other words only the rich could obtain certain information or knowledge that the poor couldn’t. Bill and Malinda gates understood this so they created a second program called the Gates Library fou...
... middle of paper ...
..., you should use those gifts as well as wisely as you can ” and the family stuck to that motto by giving back to those who are less fortunate than most of us. They gave way to opportunities that still help us today such as computers in our libraries and school, giving scholarship and grant money to those of minority, and aiding third world counties health wise and educationally thus giving everyone of every kind an opportunity of a better life.
"Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation." History. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Dec. 2013.
Press, James. "Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation History." History of Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation – FundingUniverse. : International Directory of Company Histories, Vol., Fall 2001. Web. 04 Dec. 2013.
"The Art of Giving," Business Week, October 25, 1999, p. 80.
"Giving Billions Isn't Easy," Time, July 24, 2000, pp. 52--53.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Early Life Bill Gates was born on October 28, 1955 . He and his two sisters grew up in Seattle. His father, William H. Gates II , is a Seattle attorney . Mary Gates, his mother was a school teacher , regent of the University of Washington and chairwoman of United Way International. Gates attended public school before going to Lakeside School , a private school north of Seattle. Bill was there that he began his career as a programmer at age 13 . He had a troubled childhood , but in an interview published in Playboy magazine , recognized a year and a half have gone to a psychiatrist.... [tags: public school, programming language, windows]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- ... After which he graduated from lakeside he enrolled for the fall semester at Harvard University in pursuit of a career in law. Gates attended Harvard for a year when MITS released its Altair 8800. Paul Allen, still very close to Bill saw this as a huge opportunity for business. After Bill discussed it with his parents, he dropped out of Harvard and pursued programming as a career. They told MITS they had a software that could run on the Altair, Which in reality they didn’t. MITS bought into what the boys were saying and gave them a couple of months to prepare the software.... [tags: microsoft, law, technology]
1211 words (3.5 pages)
- Table of Contents Page Introduction 2 My Inspiring Global Leader 3-5 Conclusion 5 References 6 Appendixes A Microsoft 8 B Philanthropic Work10 Introduction A leader is someone that you can look up to, someone who has a conglomerate of attributes that motivate people to follow them. There are many reasons why you can find someone amusing, intriguing or interesting but the conglomerate of actions performed by them is what makes them stand over others. A global leader is someone who has transcends the geographical limits with their contributions not only to their field but to humanity as well.... [tags: Leadership, My Inspiring Global Leader]
908 words (2.6 pages)
- Bill Gates William H. Gates Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Microsoft Corporation William (Bill) H. Gates is chairman and chief executive officer of Microsoft Corporation, the leading provider, worldwide, of software for the personal computer. and employs more than 20,000 people in 48 countries. Born on October 28, 1955, Gates and his two sisters grew up in Seattle. Their father, William H. Gates II, is a Seattle attorney. Their late mother, Mary Gates, was a schoolteacher, University of Washington regent and chairwoman of United Way International.... [tags: essays research papers]
625 words (1.8 pages)
- The Face of Microsoft How you ever thought about the people who are the face of the company. Why are they the face of the company. What did they do to get this kind of image. Most of the time, a person who founded the company is the face of the company. What if there is more than one cofounder of the company. Then who is the face of the company. There cannot be multiple faces of the company. For example, Microsoft is one these companies that has more than one cofounder of the company. Nevertheless, Bill Gates is the face of the company, not Paul Allen.... [tags: Bill Gates, Microsoft]
1543 words (4.4 pages)
- The American dream to many is the social climb of classes and accumulation of wealth. For some it is just maybe getting their dream job or getting into their number one college. Everyone has dreams of what they want to be or do when they are older. Many have no clue if they are making the right decision, but some are so determined that nothing could get into their way. Some people just have dreams of doing something they enjoy but never really imagine it going that far. All major companies started off as ideas that someone had and decided to make it into a reality.... [tags: Bill Gates, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
1683 words (4.8 pages)
- Foundations Paper For this assignment I have chosen to write about the Bill and Melinda Gates foundations. Being able to secure funding is a vastly leading issue for mostly ever human service organization. Whether the organization is non-profit or for-profit does not seem to make a difference when it comes to that issue. Bill and Melinda Gates are a very essential part of the everyday life within this economy. The struggle to receive funding for an organization is very difficult and an organization has to have good management because that is what will help with securing funds.... [tags: economy, funding, health]
628 words (1.8 pages)
- Bill Gates not only in America, but also the world has caused a mammoth effect. Bill Gates is the man people credited for creating the success of Microsoft, and the Xbox gaming console. However, Forbes magazine says, “The world will remember Bill Gates”(Thorpe). Yes, the world will remember Bill Gates not because he was the richest man in the world for 14 years straight (Thorpe), but because of all his efforts overseas and how he encourages other wealthy people to share their money with the less fortunate.... [tags: Bill Gates, Warren Buffett]
1249 words (3.6 pages)
- Bill Gates People, nowadays, spend many of their time with technology, working or having fun. One of those people who has contributed to technology is Steve Jobs, who created Apple Inc. which revolutionized the computer and mainly tablet industry with its amazing features. As equal as important as Steve Jobs, Marc Andreessen lead the creation of NCSA Mosaic, the web browser that transformed how we think about the World Wide Web. Additional to that, Tim Berners-Lee created the World Wide Web, which changed the way people communicate, work, study, and play.... [tags: microsoft, bill gates, ibm]
659 words (1.9 pages)
- Bill Gates Leader Report My favorite leader is William Henry Gates III, or Bill Gates to most people. Bill Gates is a computer engineer and world-class entrepreneur. He founded Microsoft Corporation in 1975 with a high school friend named Paul Allen. The leadership role that he serves is chairman and chief software architect of Microsoft Corporation. Up until 1998, Gates was CEO of the company, but he relieved himself of those duties, and currently is only a software architect and serves on the Microsoft committee.... [tags: Bill Gates]
1327 words (3.8 pages)