The crafty tool called photoshop is used by nearly every tech savvy person in the country. The biggest contenders have to be ads; every advertisement contains at least one form of photoshop. Granted, it is used for a long list of reasons; to fix lighting, crop something out, even to add a funny background. This tool can virtually fix anything but what happens when it begins to harm more than it helps? Lately it has shown that the images changed or “improved” by photoshop has caused harm amongst our society. There has to be something down about this problem before other people get hurt. The Federal Government has to do its duty and stop this harm by issuing laws limiting the use of photoshop.
Photoshop can come in quite handy and it is useful when trying to perfect an image. Architects, fashion designers, web designers all use photoshop in their careers daily but there is a line and some people cross it. When using photoshop on a person to “perfect” the image the editors get quite drastic; in a recent cover for rolling stone Katy Perry was shown sitting on a bed in just a bra and underwear, seems like the average cover right? Well yes it is like every other magazine except this one had its pre-photoshop cover leaked as well.
In the above picture we can see that the editors of this photoshop slimmed katy down, enhanced her breasts, removed moles, made her skin look glossy, and the even removed the sock on her right leg. Its this nit picking that causes harm to our society and to our communities. (Eisinger)
Its seems as though everyday we hear of another young girl committing suicide because she felt worthless. Even more of these girls develop an eating disorder in order to look like the women in the...
... middle of paper ...
...o Combat Anorexia - Slashdot." Israel Passes Photoshop Law To Combat Anorexia. Slashdot, 9 May 2012. Web. 24 Apr. 2014.
Eisinger, Dale. "The 15 Biggest Photoshop Scandals of All Time."Complex.com. Permalink, 16 June 2013. Web. 24 Apr. 2014.
"Young Girls Start Eating Disorders Early." ABC News. ABC News Network, 19 Dec. 2013. Web. 24 Apr. 2014.
"Eating Disorders." University Health Center. University of Nebraska, n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2014.
North, Anna. "British Lawmakers Take Stand Against Photoshop." Jezebel. N.p., 03 Aug. 2009. Web. 24 Apr. 2014.
Gregoire, Carolyn. "Julia Bluhm, 14, Leads Successful Petition For Seventeen Magazine To Portray Girls Truthfully." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 05 July 2012. Web. 24 Apr. 2014
"ANAD." Eating Disorders Statistics « « National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Photoshop was published and developed by Adobe Systems. It is an editing program that has led to much greater photographic ability for people. Photoshop was created in February 20, 1987 when PhD student Tom Knoll who was studying Engineering at the University of Michigan, realized that his Mac Plus failed to display gray-scale images on its 1-bit black and white display (Musngi). He immediately began coding a program that would once and for all solve his issue. John Knoll, Tom's brother, who was in charge of the special effects department for Industrial Light and Magic recommended that it be developed into a full image editing program after he saw and gained interest in what Tom was doing (... [tags: adobe systems, computer app, tom knoll]
1056 words (3 pages)
- Most of the food we eat today is made with harmful pesticides, nitrates, hormones, and antibiotics. Most people do not really know about how their food was made. Most of the time, consumers go by what the box says. If the product says that it is made with whole grain wheat or made with natural flavoring, most people will think that it is healthy or “good” for them. The consumers do not know about all the other ingredients the manufacturer put in to make it taste delicious such as high fructose corn syrup or genetically engineered proteins but there are foods made without these harmful chemicals.... [tags: Organic food, Organic farming]
1169 words (3.3 pages)
- For thousands of years, animals have been used to test procedure, vaccines, and medicine to see their reaction prior to using them on humans. This allows these medicines, vaccines, and procedures to be reviewed and accepted by government before making them available to the public. Many medicines have potentially harmful side effects and testing on animals allows scientists to identify these side effects and let the consumer know prior to receiving and taking the medication. During this testing process, many animals react poorly to some medications or vaccines and doctors realize that those will not work for humans.... [tags: Animal testing, Human, The Animals, Abuse]
1033 words (3 pages)
- Smoking Areas Are Beneficial Cigarettes are damaging to the whole body. It can lead to harmful diseases such as cardiovascular disease, which causes heart conditions. Second-hand smoke is caused by smoking, which can harm children and adults that inhale or exhale smoke that surrounds them. Many parks, school games, and restaurants have banned smoking because of the harmful effects of smoking. This allows an environment for smokers and non-smokers to enjoy fresh air, instead of opaque smoke. Many workplaces do not have a designated smoke area for its employees, which can create an unappealing workplace.... [tags: Smoking, Passive smoking, Tobacco, Cigarette]
887 words (2.5 pages)
- Tobacco is an agricultural plant that has more than 70 species. It is grown all over the world and is widely known for nicotine which is the addictive ingredient it contains. Tobacco can be processed, dried, rolled, and smoked as cigars, cigarettes, and chewing and shisha tobacco, the forms of tobacco are shown in Figure 1. Additionally, after being processed, it can also be used in making some pesticides and medications. Tobacco, in all its forms, has many harmful side effects that harm many body organs including the lungs and heart.... [tags: Smoking, Unhealthy, Risks]
1266 words (3.6 pages)
- Tobacco smoke is enormously harmful to your health. There’s no safe way to smoke. Replacing your cigarette with a cigar, pipe, or hookah won’t help you avoid the health risks associated with tobacco products. Cigarettes contain about 600 ingredients. When they burn, they generate more than 7,000 chemicals, according to the American Lung Association. Many of those chemicals are poisonous and at least 69 of them can cause cancer. Many of the same ingredients are found in cigars and in tobacco used in pipes and hookahs.... [tags: Smoking, Tobacco, Nicotine, Tobacco smoking]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- To vaccinate or not to vaccinate, that is the question. This essay will thoroughly discuss the benefits and risks of vaccinations, and whether or not they are harmful. Furthermore, this essay will also go over three different views on this issue: vaccinations are completely harmful, vaccinations are not harmful at all, and vaccinations can be harmful at times. Vaccinations are considered one of the greatest achievement of the medical field in the 20th century. However, some people do not see vaccinations as a great achievement; they see vaccinations as a danger to our children.... [tags: Vaccine, Immune system, Vaccination, Pertussis]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- Harmful Effects of Television on Children Is television harmful to children. I think television is harmful to children, but I mostly think that it isn't. There are many shows and movies on television that are harmful to children, but there are also many television shows and movies that are not. The biggest influence that television has on children is the violence. Many people think that kids do violent things because they see it on television. For example, I read that one child started to kick his brother because he saw it on television wrestling.... [tags: Papers]
396 words (1.1 pages)
- Harmful Effects of the Atkins Diet It is safe to say that the Atkins Diet is not as harmless as everyone would like to think. Originally, the disadvantages were not taken into account because desperate dieters were interested in partaking in a seemingly easy way to lose weight. However, plenty of negative side effects have been shown to support the fact that the Atkins plan is more harmful than people realized. These negative side effects range from headaches and dizziness, to the more severe reactions consisting of kidney and heart problems.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
822 words (2.3 pages)
- Harmful Effects Of Smoking Cigarettes Mentioned Photos Not Included There are numerous effects of smoking Cigarettes that affect the individual. They can affect not only your health but also your social and family life. It can also affect the non-smoker around you. Non-smokers suffer from allergies, noise and eye irritations and headaches as a result of inhaling second hand smoke. Smoking while you're pregnant can result to the growth of the foetus and may even result in the death of the baby. Below are some long term and short term effects of smoking.... [tags: Informative Essays Nicotine]
1243 words (3.6 pages)