Linear quality is seen in both paintings. These lines can add direction, speed and mood or “can possess certain intellectual, emotional, and expressive qualities” (Notes). There are two categories for linear quality, one being analytical, classical, or expressive, anticlassical. “The Death of Socrates” by David is a classical painting due to the controlled and precise use of lines. When looking at David’s painting everything is proportional. David was able to create a controlled and precise painting because he used a grid when he was painting. That is why you see the repetitive use of ninety degree angles in the painting. In contrast to David painting “The Death of Socrates”, Delacroix painting “The Death of Sardanapalus” uses anticlassical lines.
“The Death of Sardanapalus” uses spontaneous curves and swirls and expressive lines. Unlik...
... middle of paper ...
...e Death of Sardanapalus” have in common is their use of atmospheric perspective. Atmospheric perspective is where “forms which are far in the distance lose their clarity and sharpness due to dust and moisture in the atmosphere” (Notes). In “The Death of Socrates” the women in the back ground are examples of atmospheric perspective. Even though you can tell they are women they are not clear like the men that are in the painting. In “The Death of Sardanapalus” the figure that are in the dark near the bed in also an example of atmospheric perspective. Even though they have common characteristics there are differences too. A difference between the two painting is that in “The Death of Socrates” painting there is a foreground, middle ground and background, but in “The Death of Sardanapalus” painting it is tipped up towards the viewer because of the use of dramatic lines.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Elements of Design The elements of design were created by Arthur Wesley Dow to help people see, describe, and create visual qualities in a systematic way. It consists of 7 elements: line, shape, form, colour, value, texture and space. Lines are paths or marks left by moving points and they can be outlines or edges of shapes and forms. Lines have qualities which can help communicate ideas and feelings such as straight or curved, thick or thin, dark or light, and continuous or broken. Implied lines suggest motion or organize an artwork and they are not actually seen, but they are present in the way edges of shapes are lined up.... [tags: Design]
1621 words (4.6 pages)
- Painting with Stencils Stenciling is an ancient craft, used since the Egyptians painted with stencils in the tombs of the pharaohs. Over the course of history, stenciling has fallen in and out of favor, and both peasants and kings have employed it to decorate walls, churches and furniture. Once again, it is a fashionable and stylish choice for adding personality and pizzazz to home décor, and craftsmen use it to embellish many decorative items. Artists also use stenciling, creating stylized motifs and quickly completed multiple images on a support.... [tags: Art]
990 words (2.8 pages)
- Artists have been painting for thousands of years. Over this time a number of methods have developed that are recognized as being the mainstay of the artist’s repertoire of techniques. Learning and understanding the various methods will significantly add to the student’s arsenal of skills. It will provide flexibility to adapt to whatever challenges a painting may set before him. Alla Prima Painting When painting alla prima, the student intends to complete a painting in one session. This means that the work will be done wet-in-wet, as glazing requires paint to dry between coats.... [tags: Art]
976 words (2.8 pages)
- Painting: Marmalade Sky The painting I observed was created by an artist named Elizabeth LaPenna. She named this abstract work of art Marmalade Sky. The medium of this artwork is acrylic on canvas of 48"x48"x1.5”. I observed this painting in Clarksville, Tennessee as well at the city’s museum. The artist used different colors of pastel creating an abstract work of art. The colors used were pink, yellow, white, blue, and a few other colors. I was pleased to look at this painting because it was bright and beautiful.... [tags: Color, Color wheel, Color theory, Primary color]
1026 words (2.9 pages)
- ... Figure 4 shows an example of line being used in a product label. Figure 4. Lines used for creating partitions in table Notice that there are three different lines on the label; from the thinnest to the thickest. The reason these three lines are used is to create partitions in order to separate the different parts of the fact but they remained in the same table. This makes easier for the consumer to understand when he or she reads it. There is another example of using lines in images, lines which can represent of a moving object.... [tags: points, lines, shapes]
2211 words (6.3 pages)
- Art has many definitions that can be interpreted in several ways. Many paintings throughout history have changed the outlook of how we see art. For many individual artists, art is the ultimate expression of personal emotions. A variety of artists in the world can agree that conveying a hidden emotion or idea is better communicated artistically than being presented out loud. The saying “A picture is worth a thousand words,” should also be represented when describing the way a person feels when looking at an art piece.... [tags: Vincent van Gogh, The Starry Night]
1016 words (2.9 pages)
- I received an e-mail from a student wanting to know how the Duramark vinyl I have used for years compares to Venture Tape materials. Frankly I couldn’t tell her because I have never used Venture products. So I contacted Lisa Swiman at Venture and ordered a roll of both the 4 and 8-mil Venture sandblasting vinyl. When it was delivered there was some 15 mil also in the box, so I had subject material for a long overdue comparison test. I have a client who is building a custom home in Missouri. Cheryl has extremely good taste and very high standards.... [tags: Design]
2657 words (7.6 pages)
- ... From these four rectangles artist used one rectangle for typography and other three used for design. According to designers, the triangles in each rectangle created "MMX" shape. In the top-right rectangle, there is four triangles and each has different colors and each triangles in symmetrical than others. Among all these four triangles, three of them are in yellow, blue, and green color. In the next top left rectangles, there are also four asymmetrical triangles in yellow, red, orange, and red color.... [tags: create, poster, artist, theme]
735 words (2.1 pages)
- How to Paint a Geometric Design Art has been a part of our lives since humans first roamed the earth, but each person's definition varies with personality and environment. Some prefer the realism of Da Vinci, while others enjoy the simplicity of Mondrian. The challenge is to revise these forms and integrate them together to create a beautiful work of art. With a good eye and steady hand, anyone can create a fun and interesting conversation piece for any room of the house, just by following some basic guidelines.... [tags: Expository Process Essays]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- ... The adoption of Honesty in designs: The architectural honesty extends to the size of the home. More buyers are choosing something little smaller and medium-sized houses with this bloat of large-scale homes effect. This has become less popular among prospective homeowners. There is also use of Thought: It is very important to enhance presentation of new ways of thinking. Modern architecture isn't just about how good the final result looks. This can be accomplished by applying scientific and analytical methods while making the buildings.... [tags: green environments, working drawings]
883 words (2.5 pages)
- The Applied Learning Experience Is A Great Project For Students
- The Book ' Machete Season : The Killers Rwanda Speak : A Report By Jean Herzfeld
- Why The Trans Pacific Partnership Can Be Harmful Towards The United States
- Removal, Pediatric, Care After
- Websites From Where You Can Rent Bridal
- Labor Unions And The Labor Movement