Bali is renowned for its diverse and sophisticated art forms, such as painting, sculpture, wood carving, stone carving, and performing arts (Tropical Sky. Introduction to Bali. www.tropicalsky.co.uk. Web. 15 March 2011).
The Balinese artists are renowned for their skills in wood and stone carving and painting representations of the local mythical beings. They have traditionally been featured largely in temples and palace architectures for hundreds years. Most of the artists – wood and stone carver, art painter, Balinese dancer, traditional musical player, etc. - work without any prior education as it runs in their blood either from their parents or ancestor. When Balinese people do not work in the field, they are doing and creating some arts. They are really capable of giving shape to their thoughts and creativity through arts. The view of people carving the wood or stone, painting, dancing, and playing music is easily to find in Ubud, my favorite place and the heaven place of art lover. The carved door, window, mirror, and coffee table are usually used to furnish hotels, villas, or other residential places. The wood will bring a sophisticated smell in the room. The performance of Balinese dancing, playing gamelan - a traditional Indonesian ensemble typically incl...
... middle of paper ...
...e of Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and to appreciate of God’s creature and nature.
Over the years, the tourism brings a rapid change to Bali especially in its economy and has become an integral part of Balinese society and economy. In effect, it changes some part of their society and culture. As far as I concern, I hope that the Balinese culture and tradition never be vanished in this Island of Gods, and young people can maintain their ancestor beliefs and traditions.
Tropical Sky. Introduction to Bali. Tropicalsky.co.uk. Web. 15 March 2011.
Schultz.Tommy. Exploring Bali’s green rice terrace: Ubud and nearby village. Tommyschultz.com. Web. 15 March 2011.
Northstar Travel Group LLC. Bali Island. MasterFILE Premier. EBSCO. Web. 15 Mar. 2011.
Leve, Ariel. Eternal Sunsets of the Breathtaking kind. MasterFILE Premier. EBSCO. Web. 15 Mar. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... I will be able to move around and explore whenever I feel the need. I will not feel like I have to cover my skin to protect myself from Mother Nature’s harsh weather conditions. Also in this climate my skin will thrive. Feeling the warmth of the sun on my shoulders and the nourishing moisture of the humidity on my cheeks would just jump-start my mood every morning. It doesn’t really matter to me what time of year it is as long as the climate is on point. To me when on holiday, your vacation doesn’t really start until you forget what day it is, so the date of my trip is insignificant.... [tags: ocean, climate, travel]
1225 words (3.5 pages)
- Paper #2 Music can be defined as a collection of sounds and silence, however, as we learned in class, music style and verity can differ greatly between regions of the world. In this paper, we will summarize each studied region by listing a few important characteristics and themes of each. We will first look into the regional themes and styles of China, followed by those from Japan and Bali, then move on to the Pacific Islands, and finally end with Pacific Latin America. We will also compare and contrast each area along the way, and will list some common similarities and differences between them.... [tags: characteristics and themes]
945 words (2.7 pages)
- Traditions and Cultures of Russia: Contrasting American and Traditions Cultures and Russia’s exciting traditions and cultures is dated back from ages. Russia has been known for its rick culture as well as its extra ordinary traditions, such as the arts, music, philosophy, dance, architect, exotic paintings. The paintings also contain billions of colors along with several other cultural heritages. Hospitality, family such as men, women and children can all give in sight on how Russian culture and traditions are played out from day to day.... [tags: culture, russian traditions ]
2114 words (6 pages)
- Globally, people celebrate or mourn the passing of loved ones in different ways. Because these traditions are engrained in cultural practices, some may not understand the reasons for death rites of passage. However, monetary challenges in reproducing these traditions can cause a change in tradition. This report addresses the different funeral traditions and offers a solution in the event of financial challenges. History Throughout history our primordial ancestors have believed in the after life.... [tags: Culture]
1158 words (3.3 pages)
- Paper # 4 In part four of Clifford Geertz “Interpretation of cultures,” he begins by explaining Ideology within culture. He states the ideology is not as realistic as it should be. Ideology is a system of ideals that have produced fields in the political and social realm. Geertz says that ideologies have become so far removed from reality because the sciences only look at specific aspects of problems. Ideology is then broken into “strain” theory and “interest” theory. The interest theory is the belief that “ideas are weapons” highlighting people who use ideas to get to the top, at least this was my interpretation of it.... [tags: Anthropology, Sociology, Western culture]
866 words (2.5 pages)
- The Negativity of Ethnocentrism in Traditions As a child I remember being raised as having my own beliefs on cultures. My family was raised to follow directions from my elders and that’s what we did. On a Sunday morning, it was an obligation for my family and myself to attend church. If we would resist or make a scene our punishment would be no video games, nor television. It never took importance to me of how our traditions affected our everyday life. However, now as a grown up I can see why people may perceive some traditions better or worse than others.... [tags: traditions, judgements, culture]
584 words (1.7 pages)
- The dictionary defines “culture” as “the behavior and beliefs characteristics of a particular social, ethnic, or age group”. I am Chinese-American also known as ABC, American Born Chinese. I speak Cantonese and English. My parents are both from China. I was born in Manhattan, New York, and raised in New York. There are many different things from my culture that are different from other culture’s. Many people with different culture’s have different foods, holidays, and religions, which makes us all special and different in our own ways.... [tags: Chinese Culture]
567 words (1.6 pages)
- In the afghansitan culture marriage is different from the American cultures. There are some rules that you have to follow when wedded. Afghan marriage traditions allow girls of ten years of age or younger to get engaged, but not married. The marriage can take place only when they are sixteen. Afghan women are not allowed to marry non Muslim men. However, Muslim men can marry non Muslim women of Christian and Jew belief. The groom can be a first cousin. However if the parents are not interest in the first cousin and think they are not sutiable enough, then the parents of the bride look for a another sutiable groom.... [tags: Afghani, marriage, culture, Wedding Traditions, ]
899 words (2.6 pages)
- Marriage is a ceremony or union recognized by law that is shared by many cultures. The first example of a marriage ceremony was between Adam and Eve, back in the biblical era. The proof of this union can be found in the first testament where it is stated "At last, this is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh."(Genesis Chapter 1) It paved the path for the idea of two becoming one. It also was the setting that gave birth to the importance of marriage before sexual intercourse. After that most believed it to be a sin to engage in intercourse if you weren’t married.... [tags: Culture ]
1485 words (4.2 pages)
- A quinceañera is an event that is celebrated worldwide. The term “quinceañera” means fifteenth years in English. It’s an extravagant birthday bash for a young lady turning the age of fifteen.”Celebrating my quince años meant beginning a life of a new adult. It has also given me much more responsibility for my own actions” (Xochitl Comparan, Victoria, Texas). This event is celebrated differently by many diverse cultures, and as time goes by some of the traditions change. Even though the traditions may alter, the whole point for this eventful activity stays the same.... [tags: Culture ]
1650 words (4.7 pages)
- Organ Cloning
- Compare and Contrast Change Approaches
- From Out of the Shadows: Americanization of Mexican American Women
- The Silver Hero: Epic or Just Super?
- Comparing and Contrasting "The Passionate Shepherd to His Love" and "The Nymph's Reply": Love is Eternal and Humble, Not Temporary and Materialistic
- The Power and Limitations of Buffy the Vampire Slayer