The nameless narrator in “Confetti Girl” clearly doesn’t understand why her rather harmless and considerate father wants her to complete her homework assignment, and that leads to drama in their relationship. Towards the climax of the passage, the young girl shares her perspective on her dad’s desire to help her achieve her academic goals. “Nothing’s more important than his books and vocabulary words. He might say I matter, but when he goes on a scavenger hunt for a book, I realize that I really don’t” (Lopez 26). This cite illustrates just how sightless the teenage narrator is because she fails to see that her father only left the dinner table to assist her and to do something...
... middle of paper ...
...ries “Confetti Girl” and “Tortilla Sun” arises due to the youth ignoring the parent’s good will and the parent ignoring the child’s feelings. From these wonderful pieces of fiction, I can apply thematic lessons to my own real life. First and foremost, I have learned that being thankful and accepting when someone is trying to help me is probably a useful technique; otherwise, I might miss out on a golden opportunity. In addition, I have learned that neglecting the feelings of someone near and dear to me is a recipe for disaster; however, if I am receptive to people’s emotions, then it will give me a chance to be there for them when they need me most. The only question that is still dancing around my mind after my analysis of these (rather sullen) texts is the following: why are we as humans so unwilling to accept a different point of view when it clashes with our own?
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Jennifer Lopez Jennifer Lynn Lopez was born July 24, 1970 in Castle Hill, Bronx. She is the daughter of Guadalupe and David Lopez. Lopez has been able overcome the Spanish stereotypes becoming the highest paid Latin woman in the world. Every time she appears on magazine covers, presents on the Oscars, makes movies and music she is breaking down barriers and showing that every woman, no matter what race, can do this. The place where Jennifer grow up was a Spanish area, with people, food, and music Her grandparents taught her all about her roots.... [tags: Art]
1384 words (4 pages)
- are generally presented in music videos to be looked at" (Shaw 462). Take for instance music videos by artists like Jason Derulo 's "Wiggle", and Jennifer Lopez 's "Booty" , which put emphasize on women 's behinds. Often these kinds of videos feature scantily clad women and sexual themes, demonstrating that music often characterizes women as objects. Music that emphasizes big booties and half dressed women often encourage young women to seek attention in the same such ways. Also there are reports that show "those who have watched these videos in a controlled setting are more likely to “endorse the ‘sexual double standard’ which sees men who have many sexual partners as admirable and women wh... [tags: Domestic violence, Violence]
1884 words (5.4 pages)
- The writings of Cervantes may have been influenced by the writings of Shakespeare, Petrarch, etc. regarding concepts such as the story-within-a-story and the tyrannical female image, giving them a spot in the classical genre. However, Don Quixote has received multiple criticism for its style of writing and ambiguity, but of course, like many other authors, Cervantes had a clear reason why there were mini-narratives surrounding the main one. Despite critics’ opinions that the stories in Don Quixote are irrelevant, Cervantes included the stories on purpose to develop Don Quixote’s character through themes such as deception/manipulation and delusion/imagination that are seen in the main narrati... [tags: cervantes, don quixote, dorotea]
761 words (2.2 pages)
- Love posses multitudes of definitions ranging from “a person or thing that one loves” [ ] to “sexual intercourse” [ ]. A relatable modern definition of the word love can be seen as “an intense feeling of deep affection” [ ]. The word love has been around for centuries, and love’s definition fluctuated with time and the ushering in of new ideas. Until the 18th century, arranged marriages were the most common form of relationship and were very much associated with the word love [ ]. In those archaic times, love could be defined as a social or political necessity instead of an emotional fulfillment or desire.... [tags: Love, Marriage, Novel, Miguel de Cervantes]
952 words (2.7 pages)
- What is an adaptation. According to the Oxford dictionary, adapt is “making (something) suitable for a new use or purpose, in other words to modify. So why do artists such as, writers, filmmakers, musician and painters tend to make revamp old things to suit a new purpose, but there is a time when these adaptions tend to go off to a new piece with little hints of the old masterpiece, this is shown in a novel by Miguel de Cervantes “Don Quixote”. The Don Quixote piece was adapted into films, novel, song pieces and art pieces.... [tags: Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes, Sancho Panza]
1525 words (4.4 pages)
- The commercial industry is a multibillion dollar company that is constantly thinking of new ways to draw our attention to their products. To them, we are not just a consumer, but their sheep that they string along with their propaganda filled commercials. “Propaganda is a systematic effort to influence people’s opinions, to win them over to a certain view or side.” In this paper, we’ll talk about another multibillion dollar business, the makeup industry, that has been influencing women’s opinion for years with their falsehoods and images of perfection.... [tags: Advertising, Cosmetics, Thing, Jennifer Lopez]
734 words (2.1 pages)
- The Silent Nature of Barry Lopez In southern California, below Interstate 8 and west along the Mexican border, in the middle of the desert just beyond an arroyo, rests an ancient intaglio, a horse carved out of stone ("Horse" 401). If by chance you were to come across such a natural relic, perhaps you would first take a picture. Perhaps you would initially approach to get a closer look. Perhaps you would immediately run your fingers over the coarse, intricate indentations of the nose, the ears, the hooves.... [tags: Barry Lopez Essays]
2462 words (7 pages)
- "Life itself seems lunatic. Who knows where madness lies. To be too practical is madness, to seek treasure where there is only trash, to surrender dreams may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness, but maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." -Miguel Cervantes In his novel, Don Quixote, Miguel Cervantes proves that a strong imagination is necessary to lead a fulfilling life. The main character, Alonso Quejana, is a man close to the age of fifty who has spent most of his life reading books about the medieval knights.... [tags: European Literature, Miguel Cervantes]
942 words (2.7 pages)
- Aunt Jennifer's Tigers by Adrienne Rich Who is Aunt Jennifer. Does she even exist. I had to ask myself these questions before even going further into the poem. The answers opened the door to a deeper meaning behind Aunt Jennifer's Tigers. Based on Adrienne Rich's background I believe Aunt Jennifer did exist. However, Aunt Jennifer was not Rich's aunt. Aunt Jennifer represented women all over the world, particularly women in American, who were caught under the oppressive hand of a patriarchal society.... [tags: Aunt Jennifer's Tigers]
1074 words (3.1 pages)
- Jennifer Lopez was born in the Bronx, New York on July 24, 1970. She was born in the United States to Puerto Rican Parents, Jennifer considers herself to be a Puerto Rican and she is very proud of her Hispanic heritage and culture. Her father is David Lopez, a computer specialist, and her mother Guadalupe Lopez, a Kindergarten teacher. Her parents recognized Jennifer’s talent and enthusiasm for performing and at the age of five the enrolled her in dance classes. Her mother said “Jennifer always loved to sing, but she was also a great actress and knew that she would have a bright future ahead of her.” With the support of her parents Jennifer grew up to be a very sensible girl, who is still... [tags: essays research papers]
828 words (2.4 pages)
- Absent Fathers And Child Behavior By Martha Holden
- Benefits Of Compensation For Employee Compensation
- I ' V Been Given Patient On 9 Called Lambrecht Ray Diagnosed With Bacteremia
- President Obama Signed The Patient Protection And Affordable Care Act
- Fairytales And Disney Productions Threaten Gender Politics And Women 's Role By Portraying Women
- The Reason For Rising Tuition Prices