There are different ecotypes of orcas, with that being said, the size and shapes of orcas widely range from community to community. One fact that doesn’t change is that adult male orcas are larger than adult female orcas. Not only do they weight more than the female orca, they typically have longer dorsal fins, pectoral flippers, tail flukes, and girths. The average male can range between 5.8m to 6.7 in length while the average female length is 4.9m to 5.8m. Orcas do remain to have a cylinder-shaped body that tapers on each end of the body. With the shape of their bodies, it allows the orcas to move more fluently through the ocean. The colors of orcas are typically the same except when they are calves. They are dominantly black and white with a gray patch, known as the saddle, on the back near its dorsal fin. It is said that the white and gray patches on the orcas are meant to help when they’re hunting for prey along with their pod. ...
... middle of paper ...
...ductive systems and can cause key genetic alterations which can cause normal physiological functions to be disrupted. Navy Sonar has also played a part in the community being put on the endangered species list. In 2003, the Shoup released an SQS-53C sonar for five hours causing death to the communities primary food source, salmon. Dammed rivers and over-forestation also played a huge part in the death of the salmon which caused this pod to feed on contaminated bottom fish. The community is currently at 82 members.
Orcas are extremely intelligent animals. They are tied for the top fasted marine mammal. With their speed, body size, and intelligence it makes sense as to why these mammals are apex predators. They are such playful and beautiful animals. There is still so much to learn about the orca community and so much that will remain a mystery to us for years to come.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Tilikum is the name of the most notorious killer whale in Seaworld. He is responsible for three deaths in SeaWorld. The most recent case of the death of Dawn Brancheau in 2010 brought the world’s attention to the captivity of killer whales. Dawn Brancheau was one of the most senior whale trainer that is allowed to to work with Tilikum (Kirby 305). Despite that, many rounds of checks were carried out before the training starts. The incident occurred during a ‘Dine with Shamu’ experience where guest could eat while watching the killer whale interactions.... [tags: seaworld, orcas, captivity]
1669 words (4.8 pages)
- ... After drilling of the teeth, the area must be washed thoroughly every day for the rest of the particular orca’s life. Bad dental issues can lead to many other health problems such as infections, pneumonia, and even a heart attack. Orcas are also constantly receiving antibiotics, which causes “…disruption of normal bacterial flora in the gut, malnutrition, and susceptibility of the host to opportunistic pathogens such as fungi and yeast.” The orcas also get a great deal of sunburn because there is no protection from it in such a shallow pool.... [tags: Orca trafficking, inhumane acts]
666 words (1.9 pages)
- If you were forced to live inside of a bathtub your entire life wouldn 't you get a little agitated. These words give insight to what is the tragic life of a captive orca whale in Seaworld. Beautiful and majestic creatures are turning into bloodthirsty bitter creatures due to the unnatural living environments they are forced in to. These animals are victims to the brutal tyrant that is Seaworld. The orca whale is a highly social animal. Orcas form groups that are called pods which are anywhere from two to fifteen members.... [tags: Whale, Killer whale, Beached whale, Killer whales]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- Ban Whale Captivity Imagine living in a small cage for an eternity. How would one feel. How would one react. How would one live. Orcas have been captured and forced to live a life filled with strangers and unsatisfactory administration . However, performing whales provide knowledge, jobs, money, and entertainment to people all over the world. Orcas should be free in the wild because they do not receive proper nutrition or care. Also they get stressed out from being confined to a limited space.... [tags: Killer whale, Whale, Beached whale, Killer whales]
1373 words (3.9 pages)
- Imagine seeing a majestic killer whale floating at the bottom of its pool—depressed. Tapping on the glass does not stir this gigantic friendly beast. Every once in a while she will make her whistling and calling noises. This killer whale, named Katina, and her infant killer whale was taken away from her (Kirby 43). Katina was separated from her new calf because the calf was acting out during shows. Kalina’s family pod was broken, leaving Katina alone and depressed in her pool. Katina would call out to her Kalina, but nothing would subdue her sadness (112).... [tags: Whale, Killer whale, Beached whale, SeaWorld]
1185 words (3.4 pages)
- Blackfish, a documentary film directed by producer Gabriela Cowperwaite, who is no rookie when it comes to filming, exposes the truth about killer whales and the conditions they live in while in captivity. She uses her years of film experience to create a documentary told though the story of Tilikum, a killer whale who has been involved in the deaths of three people. She digs deep and investigates the inhumane and unsuitable lives of not only the whales themselves, but also the danger in which trainers face while interacting with unpredictable whales that are held in unnatural environments.... [tags: Killer whale, Whale, Beached whale]
1849 words (5.3 pages)
- Blackfish is a documentary film about Orcas in captivity and some serious fallout that has resulted from this situation-human death, Orca deaths and some say a miserable life for the captive mammals. In addition, visitors to the marine park cannot see the spectacular performances that show whales scooping up trainers from the water and lifting them high in the air and similar acts, any longer. There is a huge movement of people who find this thought comforting and consider the film Blackfish a good thing.... [tags: Whale, Killer whale, Beached whale]
2307 words (6.6 pages)
- After the release of the movie Blackfish in 2014 on Netflix, a numerous amount of people had discovered the cruelty of seaworld, starting from their trainers to the living conditions of their marine animals. The film is a documentary that had gone into the roots of SeaWorld, discovering the undiscovered and the fishy treatment of the killer whales. The effects from releasing the film Blackfish was that it had taught people to take precautions when visiting any sea life parks. While taking the precautions of the whales, society can help get the killer whales out of SeaWorld’s custody.... [tags: Whale, Killer whale, Beached whale, Killer whales]
1529 words (4.4 pages)
- The Side You Don’t Sea You are sitting in a huge crowd only a few feet away from the pool, surrounded by hundreds of people and you cannot quite focus because there is the constant hum of cheering filling your ears. As you turn your head to take a look at the crowd the world falls silent, you look back at the pool just in time to see a whale lift someone so high into the air that it does not look like they are coming back down; suddenly you are soaking wet and both the whale and its trainer are swimming in the water.... [tags: Whale, Killer whale, Beached whale, Killer whales]
1345 words (3.8 pages)
- Is it safe to keep Orcas in captivity. Many studies show that keeping Killer Whales in captivity isn’t safe for the whales. In the documentary Black Fish they show what they believe to be the reasons that whales staying in captivity is wrong. One main reason they believe it’s not safe for them is because there simply isn’t enough room for them. In the wild they can swim up to 100 miles a day. Another reason they believe they shouldn’t be kept in the captivity is because they get separated from their families.... [tags: Killer whale, Whale, Beached whale, Killer whales]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- The Chemistry Behind Our Emotional Response Is Altered By Positive And Negative Forces
- Public Speech Is The Action Of Addressing Public Gatherings
- Immigration And The United States
- The Theory Of The Communication Environment
- Advertising Strategies That Organizations Against Animal Cruelty Use, And The Effects Of These Strategies On The Audience
- The Business Model Canvas ( Bmc )