The Citizens of America do not realize the freedoms they have in the birthing process. Instead of knowing all the paths women can choose from in the United States most believe the only option is in the hospital. It is not common knowledge that the midwife can be the best choice for most healthy able women bearing children. This circumstance is reinforced by more than one factor. Historically, midwives have been exiled by the medical elite during the turn of the twentieth century. Another aspect that can be taken into account is that the birthing process is generational, meaning the tradition is passed down through the mother to her own daughter. These two factors play a major role in continuing the popular birthing norms of America. These reasons cause most people to lose interest when advocates of midwives try to convey their message. Through the examination of American birth models, the focus will be on the following: the historical context of the midwife up to modern day assumptions, the comparison and contrast of American practices in relation to the other countries of the world, and the financial break down and services a mother would receive in from an OB/GYN versus a midwife. These three factors will be used to fully exemplify the importance and necessity a midwife has on a birth, advocate for the knowledge of midwifery to the common public, and call for more American women to take advantage of such a powerful opportunity by educating themselves on what options they have when they become pregnant
It is wrong to assume that the stigmas that exist around the practicing methods of midwifes today are products of the past. A lot of information in today’s society is recent and biased against the...
... middle of paper ...
...ril 1). 'I was not allowed': the words that steal our birth power. Best Daily.
Retrieved May 1, 2014, from http://www.bestdaily.co.uk/your-life/news/a567116/i-was-
MacDorman, Ph. D, M. Mathews, M.S., T. & Declercq, Ph.D., E. Home Births in the United
States, 1990-2009. NCHS Data Brief, 84, 1-8. Retrieved, from
Neporent, L. (2014, January 16). Cost of Giving Birth Varies 10-Fold, Study Finds. ABC News.
Retrieved May 1, 2014, from http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cost-giving-birth-varies-10-
Woodward, B. (2010, January 1). Kingwood mother has all four limbs amputated after home
birth. KHOU khou.com. Retrieved May 2014, from
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Birthing attendance choice and satisfaction The experience of giving birth is different for every woman. Most women need a lot of strength and concentration at the time of birth, and it is not uncommon to feel tired after the baby is born. However, the majority of mothers tend to forget the pain and the discomfort of childbirth when they have the newborn in their arms. The care that pregnant women receive should take into account their needs and personal preferences, as every birth is different and every woman’s experience is unique.... [tags: Childbirth, Obstetrics, Midwifery, Pregnancy]
1934 words (5.5 pages)
- 1 .1 .Introduction Spread options are options on the difference of two or more underlying asset prices. For a call option on the spread between two assets, the payoff at maturity can be written as C=max(0,S_1-S_2-K) for a put option P=max(S_1-S_2-K,0). we will have where S_1 and S_2 are the prices of two underlying assets, and K is the strike price. At maturity, if the spread S_1-S_2 is greater than the strike price K, the option holder will exercise the option and gain the difference between the spread and the strike price.... [tags: Futures contract, Derivatives, Options, Derivative]
755 words (2.2 pages)
- ... Furthermore, sitting positions, such as on a birthing stool, during labor, assist the natural force of gravity to encourage fetal descent through the birth canal and improve the quality and effectiveness of labor contractions (Adams & Bianchi, 2008). Supine positions, such as the lithotomy position where the woman is lying on her back with her legs up on stirrups, as compared to upright positions, causes lower blood pressure for the patient and reduced blood flow to the baby due to the weight of the uterus on the major blood vessels.... [tags: nurse midwife procedures]
2608 words (7.5 pages)
- As young people, continue growing up we would all like to know two things. Where we all come from. Also how did we get to where we are. Our country the good ole USA offers a wide range of diverse options. The beliefs of some may have the blood of kings and others the blood of peasants. This very subject could be something extraordinary. Which could be improvements of life; help the rights of oppress individuals and the freedom to explore the lives of the elite group of people who cultures are far greater than the average Joe.... [tags: Genetics, DNA, Eugenics, Human genome]
1488 words (4.3 pages)
- I f one looks around for the pregnancy and birthing trends today, one would ﬁnd a whole lot of machinery and support system working around the mother and the baby. It may be hi-tech imaging systems, cord-cell banking, ultra modern birth centres, or the human support system of Obstetricians, Paediatricians, Doulas, Lactation counsellors, and people who look after the mother and the baby in some or the other way, over and above the immediate and extended families, friends and well-wishers of the mother-to-be.... [tags: Childbirth, Obstetrics, Ayurveda, Pregnancy]
901 words (2.6 pages)
- Further topics in Derivatives – Bond Options Analysis PART A - Describe the payoffs to the product, and discuss how different parameter values result in changes in the price of the option using the DerivaGem software. A bond option gives the option holder the right, but not obligation, to buy or sell a bond to option writer/seller, for a pre-determined price on or before a given time in the future. There are two types of options: Call and Put options. A call option give the holder the right to buy a bond, and the payoff of a call option is Maximum（St – K，0）; while a put option give the holder the right to sell a bond and the payoff of a put option is Maximum(K – St，0).... [tags: Option, Call option, Strike price, Put option]
971 words (2.8 pages)
- The specified purpose of the USA PATRIOT Act was: "To deter and punish terrorist acts in the United States and around the world, to enhance law enforcement investigatory tools, and for other purposes." The term “other purposes" is raising red flags to some legal experts and average citizens. The PATRIOT Act is not a simple law; it modified over 10 different laws. Modifications have been made to Bank Secrecy Act, Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, Electronic Communications Privacy Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, Immigration and Nationality Act, Money Laundering Act, Money Laundering Control Act, Pen Register and Trap a... [tags: Federal Bureau of Investigation, USA PATRIOT Act]
2077 words (5.9 pages)
- When I was in fourth grade a Jewish man visited my school to talk about his experiences during the Holocaust. However, his account of his time spent in the consecration camps was not what made my eyes to tear up that day. He related that when he was a young boy, he and his friends thought that in America money grew on trees. He said that growing up in Czechoslovakia he always dreamed of coming to America and living the "American dream." I could see the tears well up in his eyes and could hear the tremble in his voice when he began to tell us how lucky we were to be born in the USA because it "is the best country in the world." This was the first time when I realized how enormously blessed I... [tags: Immigrants Immigration USA]
943 words (2.7 pages)
- Birthing Cermonies of Other Cultures The birthing ceremonies of the Indian culture has a lot of different aspects then the American culture does. I guess that is why they are different cultures. All cultures have different views on different things such as religion, but they also share the same as well for example every culture has some form of the family. This is what helps most cultures understand other cultures. In the Indian culture their view of bringing a child into the world is much different then the American culture's view.... [tags: essays research papers]
2280 words (6.5 pages)
- Options As early as 1000 B.C., we can see an early sign of options. According to the Fundamentals of Corporate Finance, Thales the Philosopher knew from the stars that there would be a great olive harvest. Thales did not have much money, but was able to purchase options for the use of olive presses. When the harvest arrived he was able to rent the presses at a substantial profit. Thales speculation on the harvest allowed for him to purchase rights to the presses. He could then exercise his rights if his speculations on the harvest were correct.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1598 words (4.6 pages)