Scenes of Stone Age people hunting animals are some of the earliest examples of watercolor paintings (Mules). Although unclear whether gums or oils were used in cave paintings, gum arabic was first used in pre-historic times where man was quick to recognize natural material’s potential (Robinson). When paper was invented in China in A.D. 105, 1,000 years before it was produced in Europe, Chinese artists were far more advanced in watercolors than European artists. The far Eastern traditions differ greatly from those of Western painting – instead of expressing their feelings and capturing their inner spirit such as the Chinese and Japanese artists, Western painters described their surroundings and outward appearance. (Mules)
In the 18th century, the founder of Reeves Art Company, William Reeves, produced the first ready-made watercolors in cake form, changing the practice of watercolor painting (Steel). This inivation sparked the watercolor movement; William Winsor and Henry Newton, both chemists and...
... middle of paper ...
...b. 2 Nov. 2013.
Lovett, John. "Watercolor - Technique." Web log post. Watercolor Technique. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Nov. 2013.
McArdle, Thaneeya. "Watercolor Painting Supplies." Art is Fun. Thaneeya LLC, n.d. Web. 05 Nov. 2013.
Mules, Helen. "Watercolor." The New Book of Knowledge. N.p.: n.p., n.d. N. pag. Scholastic, Helping Children Around the World to Read and Learn. Scholastic Press. Web. 01 Nov. 2013.
Robinson, Paul. "History of Water Colours." Winsor Newton. Winsor & Newton, n.d. Web. 01 Nov. 2013.
Steel, Erik. "What Is Watercolor Paint?" SoYouWanna. Demand Media, 2010. Web. 04 Nov. 2013.
Tour, Ben. Animal Collage. N.d. Watercolor on paper. Lifetime Collective, Color Magazine 10.3. Cargo Collective. Web. 4 Nov. 2013.
Waterlow, Ernest E., Sir. In From the Hills. 1890. Watercolor on paper. Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Painting with Spray Paints Painting with spray paint can be an exciting and challenging technique to add to any artist’s repertoire. Spray paint comes in a number of formats, allowing the artist to select tight control or a spontaneous, loose flow of paint. Today’s spray systems are modern advancements on an old technique. Mouth atomizers have been used for many years, and the tools are still available. Technology has taken this to include airbrush systems and canned spray paints. All these tools expand the artist’s ability to create a diverse array of styles and techniques that brushwork could never imitate.... [tags: Art]
1047 words (3 pages)
- “If a Picture Paints...” Before the written word, art played the singular role of portraying history. Whether in the form of cave drawings or sculptures, this art was a tangible representation of the culture, history, and perspectives of the artist and his resulting personal interpretations. As language and writing developed, art never weakened, and illustrations continued to serve as unique perspectives throughout history. In many cases, these illustrations serve as valid representations of history.... [tags: U.S. History ]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- Art therapy activities can be accomplished using different materials. The activities can be done with pencils, paints, and multiple construction materials. Drawing supplies may include colored pencils, drawing pencils, thick and thin markers and oil pastels. Painting supplies may include watercolors, liquid or caked tempera paint, and brushes that are a variety of sizes and thickness. Construction materials may include but are not limited to clay, homemade dough, white glue, glue sticks, and tapes.... [tags: paints, construction materials, drawing]
924 words (2.6 pages)
- Acrylic paint is so versatile and there are hundreds of techniques to learn. Some tips are those that a watercolorist may use. Others derive from the oil painter’s bag of tricks. That diversity is what draws so many artists to add acrylic paint to their tabouret. Glazing In this technique, you allow the layer of paint to dry before painting over it. This is suited for transparent colors, or colors that have been watered down sufficiently for an opaque color to become transparent. This allows for subtle gradations of color or color changes.... [tags: Top Ten, Tips]
715 words (2 pages)
- There are about as many palettes as there are artists. Pretty much, any flat surface can be used as a palette, although some are far superior to others. A palette can be as simple as a Styrofoam tray or as elaborate as a hardwood oval, imported from Europe with a thumb hole cut into it and engraved with the artist’s name on a brass plaque. The traditional hand-held palette comes in various sizes and shapes with a hole to accommodate the artist’s thumb for ease in holding it horizontal for long periods.... [tags: art education, drawing, painting]
767 words (2.2 pages)
- The Blue Door was painted by American artist Andrew Wyeth on a 29” by 21” piece of watercolor paper. In this painting, he used aquarelle as it currently lies in the Delaware Art Museum along with his other works; Tennant Farmer, Hussey’s House and Arthur Cleveland. The Blue Door was finished in the spring of 1952 and purchased from Wyeth on the 23rd of September the same year. The floor and walls are mainly composed of wooden/ ceramic panels parallel to each other. The surface of each (floor and walls) are implied to have gone though many decades untouched and unfixed as they are rough and dirty.... [tags: Art]
880 words (2.5 pages)
- "My art has always been in response to visions. Rather than confine my subject to representations of the outer worlds, I include portrayals of the multi-dimensional imaginal realms that pull us toward consciousness evolution." It has been said that artist Alex Grey is in the business of painting souls. His paintings are a mix of transcendentalist philosophy, precise anatomy, and a heady balance of major world religions. Grey's works have become increasingly popular during the early 2000s due to the universal nature of his art, the permanent residence of his project "Chapel of the Sacred Mirrors", and the utilization of his art by multiple bands, such as the American rock band Tool.... [tags: rock band tool, sacred mirrors]
952 words (2.7 pages)
- The text’s authors explains the “…aim was to replace Renaissance ideals with Modernist principles.” (cite) Renaissance ideals embraced humanism. In the Renaissance era, the point of view for humanism was individuals are enhanced through study and practice of literature, philosophy, music and arts. However, Modernist principles replaced renaissance ideals by being more expressive through various art forms. Vincent Van Gogh, a Dutch painter, expressed modernism through his unpredictable behaviors.... [tags: Art ]
1048 words (3 pages)
- Art versus Pornography Her head rests on her left knee, with her hands clasped on her ankle. Locks of hair are thrown about in an auburn blaze. Her tight rosy lips are as red as her cheeks. Her dark-blue eyes reveal a half-seductive, half-submissive look. Her legs are in a subdued spread-eagle formation, leaving her crotch area quite visible. Her white panties leave little to the imagination. The sexual overtones are more than just a coincidence. Suspend your imagination for a minute and ask yourself if the description formed in your mind a work of art or, instead, a photograph of softcore pornography, found in such magazines as Hustler or Playboy? Where this description... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Topics]
874 words (2.5 pages)
- ... A simple but unbeatable concept of "going where the customer is" drives all their retail strategies.2 It has taken initiatives to improve customer centricity, increase the number of dealer tinting systems, introduction of new products, expansion of dealer network, increase in exports, focus on protective and industrial coating segments and improve service level to minimise loss of sale due to stock outs. It provides dealership contracts (franchise) and also operates by directly providing services to customers to paint their homes by sending AP trained contractors for wood finishing, water proofing and adding special effects to home walls.... [tags: Paints, Company, India]
802 words (2.3 pages)