Instructor: Mr. Thompson
Jamal Matthews Jeremy Alpert Sophia Tannenbaum
Alka-Seltzer® is a tablet that can be taken to relieve stomach pain from indigestion. Our experiment was designed to test the hypothesis that if the amount of Alka-Seltzer® increased, then the time it would take for the cap to pop off the film canister would decrease. In our experiment, we changed the amount of Alka-Seltzer® from zero tablets, to one quarter tablet, to one half tablet, and then to one full tablet. We placed the Alka-Seltzer® tablet into a film canister, poured ten milliliters of water into the canister and then capped the film canister. We found that as more Alka-Seltzer® was placed in the film canister, the cap did pop off after less time, so our hypothesis was therefore supported.
An Alka-Seltzer® tablet consists of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid), sodium hydrogen carbonate, citric acid anhydrous, povidone, dimeticone, calcium silicate, docusate sodium, sodium benzoate, and sodium saccharin. Of these ingredients, only aspirin, sodium bicarbonate, and anhydrous citric acid are active.
As the Alka-Seltzer® tablets dissolve in water, the sodium bicarbonate splits to form bicarbonate. The bicarbonate then reacts with the hydrogen from the citric acid, and this reaction makes water and carbon dioxide. By mixing water with the Alka-Seltzer® tablet, the whole reaction process is started, and that process ultimately results in bubbles of carbon dioxide gas being given off. When the film canister is capped, this gas that is being given off is suddenly contained inside an enclosed space. The pressure inside...
... middle of paper ...
...sing ¼, ½, and 1 tablet, in order to attempt to find more accurate results. We could also do the same experiment using different amounts of Alka-Seltzer®, to see if the correlation we found remains the same. Another possibility would be to measure how high the canister goes in the air with different amounts of Alka-Seltzer®.
"About Alka-Seltzer." Alka Seltzer Directions of Use. Bayer Corporation, 2013. Web. 26 Mar.
"Alka-Seltzer Rocket." Alka-Seltzer. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Mar. 2016.
"Frequently Asked Questions." Alka-Seltzer FAQs. Bayer, 2016. Web. 26 Mar. 2016.
"Rocket Thrust." Rocket Thrust. Ed. Tom Benson. N.p., 22 Oct. 2015. Web. 26 Mar. 2016.
Rowland, Teisha. "Plop, Plop, Fizz Fast: The Effect of Temperature on Reaction Time."
Classroom Activity:. Science Buddies, 2016. Web. 26 Mar. 2016.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Alka Seltzer Dissolving at Different Temperatures The variable that I will change will be the temperature of the water that the Alka Seltzer is put in. For my results I will measure the time taken for the Alka seltzer tablet to completely dissolve in water at different temperatures. Input variables: * Varying surface area of Alka-Seltzer tablet, i.e. if cut into smaller pieces or crushed it will increase the surface area. (If the surface area is increased (more powdered) the rate of reaction also increases.... [tags: Alka Seltzer Science Experiments Essays]
3427 words (9.8 pages)
- The rate at which Alka-Seltzer tablets reacts with water Statement of problem The aim of the experiment is to find out the rate at which Alka-Seltzer tablets react with water. The input variable that I will change is temperature. The output variable will be measured by the time it takes for the Alka-Seltzer tablets to dissolve. Input variables In this experiment there are two main factors that can affect the rate of the reaction. These key factors can change the rate of the reaction by either increasing it or decreasing it.... [tags: GCSE Chemistry Coursework Investigation]
3766 words (10.8 pages)
- In today’s advanced world that we live in, we could hardly see ourselves not getting in touch with mobile devices. It first started with a cup of coffee and we will spontaneously slip our phones or tablets out for online free newspaper in the morning, checking the traffic before our journey, sending e-mails to clients, having conference calls and many other features. Tablet, the all in one device that we hold everywhere we go. The purpose of this paper is to observe the popularity of tablet brand between Apple Ipad and Samsung Note.... [tags: Apple Tablet, Samsung Tablet]
1850 words (5.3 pages)
Random And Systematic Errors Are Both Factors That Affect The Reliability And Accuracy Of The Results
- Errors Random and systematic errors are both factors that can affect the reliability and accuracy of the results respectively. As all the graphs contained outliers, and hence, scatter, this indicates that random errors were present. Such errors may result from the inconsistent masses of the Alka Seltzer tablets. As these tablets were cut manually with a knife, it is unlikely that the mass of each half of an Alka Seltzer tablet would be the same. Thus, when using the tablets to react with HCl, the true number of tablets reacting would have not been the same as the number denoted for the trial, and with each repeated trial for the same number of tablets reacting, the reacting mass and ratio wo... [tags: Chemical reaction, Reaction rate, Measurement]
1709 words (4.9 pages)
- Tablets Are More Convenient than a Textbook I. Introduction A. Tablets are more useful than textbooks it is more convenient to use at school, work, and at home setting. II. Body A. Tablets are more convenient to use at school more than a textbook. 1. Most students this days are likely to use the internet to search for information, by using tablet at school, they would gain knowledge. • “With thousands of apps, students and teachers have instant access to a wealth of information from experts in their fields.... [tags: Communication, Time, Tablet, Textbook]
791 words (2.3 pages)
- The article “A study of the tablet computer’s application in K-12 school in China.” They explained the tablet computers access to K-12 education in China and other developing areas. Taotao Long is a doctoral student in the Department of Educational Psychology and Counseling at The University of Tennessee. She has a master degree in Instructional Technology in College of Educational Technology. Wenxin Liang is a Distance Education specialist in the Center for Distance Education. She is working on the Distance Education and Training for K-12 teachers.... [tags: Education, Educational psychology, Teacher, School]
982 words (2.8 pages)
- How to Purchase a Tablet Tablet computers have become all the rage. They are small mobile computers that can be taken anywhere. Tablets are equipped with cameras and touchscreen keyboards eliminating the need to bring your camera, video recorder, or mouse. Tablets are larger than smart phones and PDA’s (personal digital assistants), measuring about 7 inches diagonally (Wikipedia). This makes it easier to read novels or newspapers, play games, check weather, and view movies or video. A new study from the Online Publishers Association (OPA) concluded that tablet sales are “exploding.” The results show that 31 percent of Internet users now own a tablet compared to 12 percent in 2011.... [tags: wi-fi, ios, touchscreen keyboards]
1203 words (3.4 pages)
- ... During the same year, the organization sold 562,961 of X6 tablets at $430 per tablet that resulted in $242,073,230 of revenue minus total cost of manufacturing $204,493,360 that resulted in a $37,579,840 in profit. The profitability percentage was 16% and contributed margin ratio was at 36%. The profit margin per tablet is $66.75. The X7 tablet had a price of $190 established and produced no sells in 2011. Market Information for 2011 Customer Base Model X5 Model X6 Model X7 Installed Base 1,035,000 550,000 340,000 Remaining Customers 6,000,000 6,000,000 17,500,000 Market Saturation 15% 8% 2% Sales Volume First Time Customers 882,729 516,018 0 Repeat Sales 86,250 46,943 0 Total Sales 9... [tags: business, maximum profit, change]
903 words (2.6 pages)
- TABLET PCs Combines Simplicity of Paper with Full Power of Windows-Based Computing For the past few years, the Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) has grown tremendously popular. However, due to size restrictions, it has always served as a secondary device to the desktop computer. So a number of hardware manufacturers unveiled a new form of communication, the Tablet PC. What exactly is a Tablet PC. It is a notebook PC with a touch-sensitive screen and is a bit larger than the size of a sheet of paper.... [tags: Technology Computers]
1318 words (3.8 pages)
- Tablet PCs Weighing in at 2.5 pounds the Table PC is the newest creation in the world of portable computers. Instead of having to use a mouse and keyboard this new computer uses only an electronic pen and a few keys. Without even having to hook up to a phone-line you can wirelessly connect to the Internet. While the computer may be small itself its capabilities are far from it. One model of this PC is called the Convertible. This version looks very much like the normal laptop computer we’re used to today.... [tags: Personal Computers]
782 words (2.2 pages)