She began to collect these images in the 1960’s, that were influenced by the race riots, the assassination of Dr. King, and the social tension that was arising at the time. Saar was a part of the black arts movement in the 1970s, challenging the myths and stereotypes. At 46, Saar created the piece that launched a series of art aimed at reclaiming the derogatory images of Blacks. One of the pieces to be discussed is “The Liberation of Aunt Jemima” exhibited in 1972. Other pieces she has created included "Wot 's Dat" (1998) and ...
... middle of paper ...
...t caricature positive rather than negative power. She has liberated herself from both a history of white oppression and traditional gender roles. Saar said “My intent was to transform a negative, demeaning figure into a positive, empowered woman… a warrior ready to combat servitude and racism”.
In the background to prominent lines are straight framing the Aunt Jemima ads that are put in a grid. This is a three-dimensional piece so all of the objects form a shape. The broom and the riffle create diagonal lines that point to the figures face. She is the focal point of the entire piece. The colors are very bright in this piece. There are many bright reds, oranges, yellows, and greens. In contrasts to the bright colors the fist in black symbolizing black power. All of the items overlap each other. This draws the viewers eye in and takes them all throughout the piece.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Did you know that in 1960, Betye Saar collected pictures of Aunt Jemima, Uncle Tom, and Little Black Sambo including other African American figures in areas that are also invalid with folk culture and advertising. Since, Saar collected pictures from the folk cultures and advertising she also makes many collages including assemblages, changing these into social protest statements. When her great-aunt passed away, Saar started assembling and collecting memorabilia from her family and created her personal assemblages which she gathered from nostalgic mementos of her great aunt’s life.... [tags: assemblage, print maker]
745 words (2.1 pages)
- Internship Report Format 1. Title Page One original title page, prepared in the same format as the Sample Internship title is given at the end. Page submitted with the original signatures of Program coordinator. The date on the title page will depend on the semester you will receive your degree. 2. Acknowledgements If you wish, you may include a page with a brief note of dedication or acknowledgment of help received from particular persons. 3. Table of Contents The contents page should clearly and accurately index the page numbers of the various sections of the dissertation.... [tags: Internship Report]
1200 words (3.4 pages)
- Employee Privacy Report 1 In this report, I will be addressing e-mail, Internet use, and privacy policies in my workplace; the current laws regulating employee e-mail and Internet privacy; the reasons to companies carry out e-mail and Internet use policies; the assumptions employees make about their privacy at work; and how these policies affect employee privacy at work. E-Mail and Internet Use , Privacy Policies The E-mail/Internet usage and privacy policies at my job are part of a system of written decisions established by the organization to support and to build a desire culture through managing risk, regulation, and administration.... [tags: Privacy Report]
986 words (2.8 pages)
- Problem Gambling Service Coordination Demonstration Project Report 25 June 2010 Contents Project Background 3 Project Methodology and Outcomes 4 Project Deliverables 5 Project Report: Integrating Service Coordination & Problem Gambling Treatment 7 Recommended Actions 8 Appendices 9 Project Background The project is an initiative of the Victorian Government’s Taking Action on Problem Gambling Strategy (2006 – 2011) developed to enhance problem gambling treatment and the responsiveness of the problem gambling service system.... [tags: Project Report]
1526 words (4.4 pages)
- Rates of Reaction CaCO3 + 2HCl → CaCl2 + H2O + CO2 In this report I will be suggesting my predictions on what the rates of reaction will be and what the actual rates of reaction are. I will do this by collecting data from experiments and I will show this by putting data into a table. The main aim of my experiment is to find the rate of reaction over time taken and the rate of reaction when the concentration of hydrochloric acid increases or decreases. I will try to make my experiment as accurate as I can.... [tags: chemistry experiment, lab report]
3714 words (10.6 pages)
- FINDINGS: Severe right-sided chest pain. The __ reported a friction rub. A PM lateral showed questionable mediastinal adenopathy. The patient had no cough or sputum production of ___. CT scan in ___ showed a possibility of a 1x2 cm right paratrachial lymphnode. Several smaller anteromediastinal lymphnodes which were all less than 1 cm were also evaluated. The patient was treated with Indocen with relief of her chest pain. ___ level was 64.5 with a ___ 50. PPD was negative, controls were positive.... [tags: Medical Report]
616 words (1.8 pages)
- How To Write A Great Report 1. Plan the report. Select an idea or topic for your report. Gather information for your report. Identify the information you want to include in your report. Remember you should have at least three ways to support the main idea of your report. Include details and specific information that will help you make your point. Write a draft. Review what you have written. Try reading the report out loud. It can help you catch mistakes. Check spelling and punctuation.... [tags: Report Writing]
176 words (0.5 pages)
- The Chronicles of Narnia: Book Report Digory and Polly were good friends. They both lived in England for all of their lives. One day they were playing when Polly wanted to show Digory her secret place. It was up in her attic. She hid many things there. She hid fruits and snacks to eat and a lot of other stuff to. Digory noticed a door across the attic. Back then the houses were connected together and they thought that if they would cross the rafters and open the door they could sneak into a house and the next and so on.... [tags: Book Report Chronicles Narnia Essays Papers]
1735 words (5 pages)
- Confidential The names in this Observation Report have been changed to protect the privacy of the parents and the child. Student’s Name : Calvin Sex : Male Place of Observation : Inside the classroom of County Preschool. Time of Observation : In the morning, 10.30 a.m. and it was a sunny day. General View : • The classroom was pretty well organized ( clean, tidy and many facilities inside such as books, games, a computer and so on ) • It was a pretty large group in the class, 13 children were there and the teacher was present as well.... [tags: Direct Observation Report 2014]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- I observed an upper level biology class, in which the teacher is applying a combination of collaborative (team-based) learning, problem-solving approaches, discussions on "what-if" scenarios and student-teaching. Below you will find a general overview of the class, a crude analysis of reasons for various successes and problems, and finally a more detailed analysis of things to address in this particular class. Overview The class atmosphere was congenial and the students were actively engaged in discussion.... [tags: Teacher Observation Report 2014]
1500 words (4.3 pages)