Essay PreviewMore ↓
If I had the opportunity to build my own computer I would add the following components:
1. Mother Board - $134.99
2. Processor - $78.99
3. RAM - $209.99
4. Power Supply - $96.96
5. Case - $49.99
6. CPU Cooler - N/A
7. Video Card - $74.99
8. Music Card - $85.47
9. Speakers - $48.67
10. Hard Drive - $168.90
11. CD – RW and DVD-RW – 49.99
12. Modem - $99.99
13. Keyboard & Mouse – $64.99 (before $20.00 rebate)
14. Monitor - $169.99
15. Software - $88.00
I would follow the format presented by Rob Williams, to build my own computer because he has already done the homework and offers several tutorials for the not so gifted and not quite computer literate. Williams, R (2006/11/26), MY SUPER PC. Retrieved November 27, 2006, Web site: Http://www.mysuperpc.com/ . Mr. Williams offers this advice to anyone who is planning to build their own computer, the first rule of building your own PC is called the “six month rule of delayed acquisition”. He suggests that any hardware or software be at least six months old before you purchase it. He cites three very good reasons for following this six month rule the first being that the price will drop drastically in the first six months. Secondly, the bugs in the product will be worked out in this time period. But a third and very important reason to follow the six month rule is that in six months there will be “volumes” of information about an item and how it performs.
Item one on my list is a Mother Board. The Mother Board is the main circuit board of a microcomputer. It acts as the connector for attaching additional boards. Typically, the motherboard contains the CPU, BIOS, memory, mass storage interfaces, serial and parallel ports, expansion slots, and all the controllers required to control standard peripheral devices, such as the display screen, keyboard, and disk drive. Collectively, all these chips that reside on the motherboard are known as the motherboard's chipset. I have chosen to purchase the “GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4” Motherboard. My reason for this is the following review retrieved from Sun, A (2006/6/20). motherboard.org. Retrieved December 2, 2006, Web site: http://www.motherboards.org.reviews/motherboards.html, “AMD recently launched their AM2 platform and along with that new CPUs and motherboard chipsets to support those CPUs. The AM2 platform is based upon the Socket 940 interface, with support for DDR2 memory making the platform the choice for the hard core enthusiast at the moment. Differing chipset manufacturers have announced chipsets to support the new standard and in a few months there should be many chipsets supporting AM2.
How to Cite this Page
"My New Computer." 123HelpMe.com. 20 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Today’s organization has access to communications technology that only a few short decades ago would have seemed like science fiction. From mobile devices more powerful than the first personal computers to the ability to create a team that never physically meets and resides in different parts of the world, the possibilities are vast. The issue for the modern manager then, is not only to understand these underlying technologies and the possibilities they provide, but also to stay cognizant of the limitations of the technology.... [tags: Communication ]
2146 words (6.1 pages)
- Development of a New Computer System The development of a new computer system starts with the analysis of a particular business problem that IT can solve and ends up with the newly developed computer system being tested and put into place. First you need people to investigate and analyse the business problem - it could be setting up a booking system for a chain of hotels, or a new payroll system for a large company, for example and then design a system which can handle the task. This stage of the process is called systems analysis and design.... [tags: Computers Technology Software Essays]
1525 words (4.4 pages)
- In a previous project, I identified three top trends in my profession and delivered the information in an annotated bibliography. As a new event planner entrepreneur, I conducted research on what’s trending in the event planning industry and my top trends were creativity, event-driven marketing (EDM), and new computer technology. An extension of the project required an archive-based qualitative approach on one of the top three trends. In evaluating the trends, I focused on researching EDM based on the following factors: 1) EDM presented a distinct approach to direct marketing and traditional database marketing which typically use statistical data.... [tags: Customer relationship management, Marketing]
706 words (2 pages)
- How To Purchase a New Computer Buying a computer it is a very important decision. First decide that range of money you are willing to spend. Then research the many different companies and the product they have to offer. Then after deciding the company to purchase the computer the next step is to price watch. On the contrary there are people to hire to do all that and build the computer and a much less costly price. This paper will discuss both sides of consumer smart shopping. In deciding the range of money to spend consider a number of different things in making you consumer smart decisions.... [tags: Technology, Informative]
321 words (0.9 pages)
- New Gaming and Over Clocking Computer Build Building a new computer can be quite complicated and time consuming. You should take just as much care in researching each component as you would installing them into your system. It is crucial that the component fit your purpose, provide stability, and work well with the other components you select. For my system, I have chosen components that have been thoroughly tested and approved by respected people in the technology field. The centerpiece of this system is of course the motherboard.... [tags: essays research papers]
1994 words (5.7 pages)
- There is an increasing debate on the subject of using prescription drugs to treat the condition of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder or ADHD. The use of methylphenidate stimulants for treatment of ADHD is a huge concern of many physicians and parents. There are several alternatives to using drug therapy when children are diagnosed with ADHD, and these are alternatives which should be exhausted before placing children on stimulant drug-therapies. For over twenty-five years, hyperactivity has been a problem with children, usually found when the children are school age.... [tags: Papers]
2152 words (6.1 pages)
- Designing a New Computer-Based Ordering System 'East Down Sports Company' specialises in sports and leisure clothing as well as sports and casual footwear. These products are available at knock down prices and can be viewed in the company's catalogue which is distributed to all its customers. Once the customer has decided on the product(s) that they desire, they send the order slip back to the company. The company then processes the order form and determines whether or not the item(s) are in stock.... [tags: Papers]
2467 words (7 pages)
- New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio’s video announcement that city schools were starting a new program that will bring computer science education to all students is late. America is dragging where it should be exceling. Less than 10 percent of the city’s schools offer computer science education and only one percent receive that education. New Yorkers should still applaud their mayor for taking on this monumental task that states should have addressed years before this announcement because New York City isn’t alone in this failure, only one in four U.S.... [tags: Computer science, Computer, New York City]
1864 words (5.3 pages)
- As a result of the evolution in the field of biometric computer security tools, a new class of techniques and methods for user identification has erupted. Fingerprint and hand patterns, voice recognition, iris and facial scans, as well as skin patterns and smart cards, have all been used in justifying individuals on who they claim to be based on their unique characteristics. Although still relatively new, these innovative technologies are already being demanded by not only consumers but as well as the government to help find new methods of passport usage, border control, and mere security matters (Kooser, 2006, p.74).... [tags: essays research papers]
1565 words (4.5 pages)
- “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” Said by Linus Torvalds, the chief architect of the Linux kernel, these words fill a computer programmer’s mind with both the intention and reason for why they chose the job. With the increase in the creation of computers and hardware products on the market, the need for computer programmers has grown greatly over the past couple of years. A computer systems programmer’s main job is to upgrade old systems or design a new system to meet the needs of a business company (“Computer Systems Programmer/ Analysts).... [tags: hardware, skilled career]
2538 words (7.3 pages)
NVIDIA is the number one supplier of motherboard chipsets for the AMD platform with over 40% of the market share in their corner. They first entered the motherboard chipset market in 2001 with the release of the nForce line. Subsequent chipsets have included the nForce2, the nForce 3, the nForce4 etc. Last week they announced three new chips, the nForce 590 SLI, the nForce 570 SLI, the nForce 570 Ultra and the nForce 550. GIGABYTE manufactures motherboards based virtually on every chipset announced from practically every company making motherboard chipsets in the world. GIGABYTE is considered a Tier-1 motherboard manufacturer around the world.” Following the six month rule, this motherboard was launched approximately six months ago and still has a rating of 92. It offers everything I feel necessary to create the computer that I want. The price for this item is competitive as well on different sites. You may purchase this component at Tigerdirect.com for $154.99. However if you go to The Nerds.net you may purchase the same component for only $142.08. Further research will show that this same component may be purchased at Newegg.com for a mere $134.99. Needless to say, I would purchase at Newegg.com.
The second item on my list is a Processor. While I referred to Mr. Williams (My Super PC) list of items he recommended, I chose not to follow his advice explicitly with this unit. He chose the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 +AM2 with Fan. I chose to go with the AMD Athlon64 X2 5000 +FX 62 simply because their design was found to be even more efficient and performance oriented than anything the competition currently has to offer. This CPU cornered the gamers market as well. (Unfortunately, upon further research I found that this CPU was no longer available and therefore chose to go with the CPU preferred by Mr. Williams.) This component may be purchased at TigerDirect.com for a retail price of $78.99. The processor I had chosen, when available was available at Compuplus .com for $107.90.
The third item on my list was RAM. There is a lot to learn about memory. (Glossary of terms for RAM & Memory Upgrades)
• RAM Type
• Bus Speed
• Access Time
• Form Factor
Refers to the type of RAM compatible with the motherboard.
DRAM: (dynamic RAM) Most common type of RAM with an access time of 30ns or more.
SDRAM: (Synchronous DRAM) Considerably faster than DRAM, access time or 10ns.
DDR: Is high speed SDRAM
The speed measure in mHz that data travels from one place to another. Bus speed of RAM should typically equal that of the motherboards.
Measured in nanoseconds, how long it takes memory to transfer to the CPU.
SIMM: (Single Inline Memory Module) RAM mainly use in older computers using EDO Memory.
DIMM: (Dual Inline Memory Module) SDRAM and DDR-SDRAM use this form factor.
SO-DIMM: (Small-Outline Dual Inline Memory Module) Used mainly in laptops and handheld devices.
RIMM: (Rambus Inline Memory Module) Same as DIMM but has a different pin configuration for direct RDRAM chips.
As I am learning, the more I learn about computers, the more information there is to learn. After reading the above information, also retrieved from Motherboards.com, I chose to go with The G.Skill DDR SDRAM 2 GB RAM. This high-end performer will offer the speed and storage I require. (See attached comparison sheet) The price for this is $209.99 at Newegg.com.
The next item to be purchased is my power supply unit. Mr. Williams recommends the Antec Sonata II which has a 450 watt power supply or the Antec NSK 6500 which offers a 430 watt power supply. I chose neither of these components but rather chose the Spire Rocketeer 500W PSU. (Motherboards.com) A review on Motherboards.com offered this information “Power supplies are one of the most important components of the computer. No, really. With today's video cards requiring more and more power, and the other computer components drawing power, the PSU is as important as anything else. After all, having the fastest computer is nice, but without sufficient power, the computer can be unstable, run slower than expected, or have all kinds of other problems. A good solid power supply is often over-clocked when a new system is built. Mom and Pop stores often sell computers with generic PSU’s that provide 300-350W of power at best.” This component offering 500 watts of power is the right one for the computer I am constructing. This component may be purchased for $96.96 at MonkeyCircuit.com
The next item, the case I will purchase from Dealsonic.com ®. I have chosen the Cooler Master Centurion RC-534-SKN1 No Power Supply Mid-Tower Case (Silver/Black). This sleek and modernistic case will hold all of my components. It does not come with a power supply unit as does the others offered at this site and as I am purchasing a separate PSU, this suits my needs. This component could be found at quite reasonable prices at five stores, however, I would choose to purchase it from Tigerdirect.com because of the price of $49.99 (the same as Zipzoomfly.com and Amazon.com), but also because they offer same day shipping and over 250,000 (mostly good) reviews of their web store.
The next item on my list is a CPU Cooler. Please note that the CPU that I chose has a cooler attachment already provided so this component is not necessary. (please correct this assumption if I am wrong please.)
For my next item, the Video Card, I chose ATI Radeon 9250 256 MB Graphics Card. (Please see comparison on separate sheet) While the price at Tigerdirect.com was slightly higher, $74.99, than the price at Mwave.com, $73.64, I chose to go with Tigerdirect.com. The price difference is minimal and Tigerdirect.com is a more well known supplier and offers same day delivery.
The music card that I chose is the Creative Lab Sound Blaster Sound Card. While offering comparable features, i.e., Interface Type, Playback type, Sound Output Mode. Enclosure type, etc., the price is significantly lower for the Sound Blaster card (compare at $259 versus $85)
For speakers I chose the Logitech X530 Speakers. It features a six-piece speaker system and can be purchased at Mwave.com for $48.67.
For my hard drive, I chose the Western Digital Caviar Se16 500GB 7200rpm S(erial)ATA. As my comparison sheet shows, it is of comparable capacity, interface type, etc. with other hard drive and sells at a lower price ($168 at Zipzoomfly.com).
For my DVD Rw/CDRW drive I would follow the advice of Mr. Williams (My Super PC) and purchase the Sony DRU-820A Dual Format Double layer DVD RW/CDRW drive from Tigerdirect.com for $49.99. While this is slightly higher than the purchase at Compuplus.com, again I chose Tigerdirect.com because of known reliability and same day delivery.
For my modem I chose the Motorola Surfboard SBG900 cable modem from Compuplus.com. that offers support for faster data transfer and lists for $99.99.
The keyboard and mouse combination that I chose is the Microsoft Wireless Optical 3.0 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. This keyboard is cordless and that allows for less clutter as well as featuring a laser mouse that is also cordless. Newegg.com offers this combination for the low price of $62.99. However, for the intrepid of spirit, the same product, , may be purchased at Mwave for $29.99. There is no guarantee on shipping time however. Though refurbished and not new, this product can also be purchased at Techforless.org for $33.60.
As with other components of my new computer, I chose to purchase my monitor from Tigerdirect.com. They offer the HP L1706 in LCD monitor for $169.99. They offer same day delivery on this item as well. The price for this item at Pagecomputer.com is less ($163.43), however, I would prefer to spend a few more dollars to be sure of the supplier of the component.
The final item on my list is the software package. I have chosen the Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Full for PC (N0901528). This operating system allows you to create a powerhouse PC with the new Windows XP Home Edition. It has been built exclusively for home computing, and incorporating SP2 technology, this operating software package allows users to build the perfect home office environment. It is further equipped with a powerful Windows engine, allowing this home software upgrade to stabilize any computing system. Featuring integrated security tools, this operating system has the power and flexibility to keep any computer running smoothly. The total cost for my new computer is $1,421.91.
If I chose not to build my own PC but to purchase one from Dell.com, I
Would purchase the XPS High-Performance Desktop PC. XPS offers some of the latest and greatest technologies, helping to prepare you for your current & future needs.
Do more fast - Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo processors & 1GB memory1 come standard
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 included on select systems
15 month virus protection2 & 1 year At-Home Service3 included Windows VistaTM Capable Premium Ready4 Up to a 20" flat panel & speakers Included!
And that is how I would build my perfect computer. To make this system work for my office I would change only the operating system to a system that would have to be specifically designed for the post office.