Certainly, neither students nor teachers enjoy the idea of the school year without a summer, but, in terms of year-round schooling, this is not necessarily the case. Although there is no official “summer” break, there are multiple 15-30 day breaks throughout the year (Schulte, 2009, B1). The importance of this is the students’ retention of the...
... middle of paper ...
...filmed them, later learning how to edit and revise them on the computer. Schulte tells readers that year-round schooling was worrisome to both her and her children at first, but after realizing how beneficial it ended up being in the end, they realized how much they truly loved it. Intersessions not only offer remedial sessions for children needing extra help, but also classes teaching things such as karate, ballett, photography, cooking, swimming, calligraphy, Japanese, and art(INTEXTXITE).
According to President Obama and the Education Secretary Arne Duncan, the traditional school day and school year are “outdated” and “inadequate for the demands of 21st-century life”(INTEXTCITE). The reason why students in other counties outscore many American students is because they typically attend, on average, 50 more days of school per year than the average American student.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The benefits of year round schools For years, parents and educators have debated the advantages and disadvantages of the traditional school calendar, which has long summer vacations for all students.The longer you are away from school, the more you lose what you learned in the previous year. Studies have shown that children who know English as a second language benefit the most from year-round education because during the long summer break, they may not hear English for several months. Long summer breaks is a problem for traditional schools and the solution is to substitute traditional schools for year-round schools.... [tags: Year-round school, High school, School, Education]
992 words (2.8 pages)
- Benefits of Year-Round Schooling Introduction There is a growing need for a change with the current school year system. Significant evidence proves there are benefits related to year-round schooling. With the school year coming to an end, students anticipate, summer vacation. Those lazy days of summer are vastly approaching. So what does this mean. Significant evidence claims the average student loses about 2/3 of learned lessons over the summer break. Times have changed, what once was considered a time to relax, read a good book, catch fireflies while eating pizza in the shade, no longer exist.... [tags: Year-round school, School, High school, Education]
1104 words (3.2 pages)
- Does year-round school truly have a positive impact in the lives of students. Various studies have suggested that year round school is helpful. There are some disadvantages to this type of schooling that are preventing all schools from switching to this type of scheduling. In earlier times schools were only teaching throughout half of the year so that the school would be out of session when it was time to work in the fields. This type of scheduling is still common today, even though only a small portion of agriculture is tied into education and kids are no longer required to work.... [tags: Year-round school, School, High school, Education]
998 words (2.9 pages)
- Does year-round school truly have a positive impact in the lives of students. Various studies have suggested that this way of providing the calendar is helpful. Although, it has been proven that there are some disadvantages to this type of schooling prevents all schools from switching to this type of scheduling. In earlier times schools only taught throughout half of the year so that the school would be out of session when it was time to work in the fields. This type of scheduling is still common today, even though only a small portion of agriculture is tied into education and kids are no longer required to work.... [tags: Year-round school, School, High school, Education]
1092 words (3.1 pages)
- Historically school calendars have been subject to revision by a variety of factors including economic needs. Early last century, our country’s agrarian based economy mandated children have a long break to help plant in the spring and reap in the fall. During World War II, many children relied on a working mother and school days were made longer to accommodate their childcare needs. Year round education provides an improved use of taxpayer funds and school resources, plus students spend less time reviewing and as a result at-risk students have more advantages with a longer school calendar, opponents cite higher costs, lower than expected year over year gains in testing and the loss of summ... [tags: Longer School Year]
1863 words (5.3 pages)
- Summer break is supposed to be a time of rest and rejuvenation for students. After nine months of hard work and challenging classes, one would think such a long break could do nothing but good for students; however, this is not the best way for young minds to learn. A three month break is far too long for children to go without proper education and supervision. Instead of a long three month break at the end of each school year, why not give students the same number of days off but spread them out more frequently throughout the year.... [tags: year education, school system, summer break]
1856 words (5.3 pages)
- Summer vacation is legendary. An integral part of American culture, it is loved by students and loathed by parents. Its influence stretches as far as the economy and media of the country. Nevertheless, such a famed part of American educational customs is unnecessary and even detrimental to students. Its institution hinders learning and it can have a damaging effect on the families and students involved. Summer vacation and the resulting school schedule require parents to schedule their jobs around their children’s vacation.... [tags: High school, School, Education, Year-round school]
797 words (2.3 pages)
- American schools are running out of time. While Japan excels in math and science, America falls behind. After a summer break in America, it can take teachers up to 6 weeks to review what students have learned the year before. Implementing a year round school schedule will help close the gap between America and foreign countries and will benefit the people because it increases the number of students a school can accommodate, makes it easier for families to take advantage of breaks, and it may increase retention in students.... [tags: Efficiency, Foreign Schools]
841 words (2.4 pages)
- Definition of Year-round school Year round schools as cited by the thesaurus in the ebsco host states that year round schools are “schools that operate year-round but have not increased the number of days students must attend.” Education week on the web states that year round education is “A modified school calendar that offers short breaks throughout the year, rather than the traditional summer vacation. The calendars vary as do the reasons for switching to a year-round schedule. Some schools stagger the schedules to relieve crowding.... [tags: essays papers]
2294 words (6.6 pages)
- Year Round Schooling Speech Have you ever thought about what life would be like having to go to school year round. Well kids today feel that with all the pressure and work they have during the school year, they need the 3 month break time period in order to regroup themselves and have a change of scenery. Year round schooling in the past few years has become a trend that is sweeping the nation, and I am going to tell you why year round schooling IS NOT a way to send the children of America through school.... [tags: Education]
627 words (1.8 pages)