In 2007, the courageously hopeful President of Ecuador, Rafael Correa, announced the pioneering Yasuni ITT Initiative to the General Assembly of the United Nations ("What is the Initiative?"). It was a groundbreaking plan to save the unexploited ITT oil reserves (“What”). The initiative asked the world to donate $3.6 billion to Ecuador, in order to subsidize half of the profits the country would have gained if they opted for oil exploration (“What”). Regrettably, this visionary proposal to fight climate change recently failed in August 2013 (Associated). Ecuador only managed to collect $13 million and $116 million in pledges, which was not enough to continue this project (Associated). The Yasuni National Park, an ecological biosphere that contains two uncontacted tribes and plenty of wildlife, will slowly be destroyed by allowing oil drilling (Hill). While the drilling will boost the economy, it will strip the park of all its natural glory and disregard past exploitations of the land.
The Yasuni National Park possesses very diverse rainforest which significantly impact how the ecosystem functions; yet the the processes of disturbance and succession greatly affect them ("Yasuni National Park, Ecuador", "Ecuador Yasuni ITT Trust Fund" ). Just one hectare of the park contains more species of trees and bushes than all of North America ("Foreseeable Impacts of Oil Industry Activity in Yasuní")! There are a staggering 1762 species of trees and shrubs that have been identified in Yasuni, and approximately 400 of them are inherent to the region (“Foreseeable”). Hundreds of the plants in the previously untouchable zones have not even been classified or studied in depth (“Foreseeable”). The park is also paradise to a multitude of animal...
... middle of paper ...
...d Food. "Ecuador Overview." Wfp.org. World Food Programme, n.d. Web. 21 Oct. 2013.
Saavedra, Luis A. "Oil Exploitation to Reduce Poverty?" Lapress.org. Latin American Press, 26 Sept. 2013. Web. 21 Oct. 2013.
"SOS Yasuní." SOS Yasuní. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Oct. 2013
"Waorani Indians March against Oil Drilling." Survival International. N.p., 15 July 2005. Web. 16 Oct. 2013.
“Saving Wild Places - Latin American and the Caribbean - Yasuni National Park, Ecuador” Wildlife Conservation Society. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Oct. 2013.
Worldbank, "Ecuador: Poverty Report." Poverty Analysis -. Worldbank, 2011. Web. 21 Oct.2013
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- On October 10th of 1911 California implemented the initiative voting process; and it was a one of the most brilliant political decision ever to grace the Golden state. The Initiative Voting process gives citizens the tools to mold and shape the government into something that directly represents the ideas of the people without have to jump through the burdensome hurdle of the Governor or Legislator. ( Secretary of State 2015) America began to stress direct democracy at the beginning of the twentieth century in effort to enhance the civic skills of citizens.... [tags: Democracy, Voting, Initiative, Elections]
1137 words (3.2 pages)
- Gay marriage has been heated debated throughout the United States when the homosexual rights active people’s attentions. In many states, most of gay marriages are not allowed, but flowing many years fighting for the rights of same-sex marriage, some states finally accept the gay marriage law. Although gay relationships are not accepted in many states, gay marriage is still becoming more accepted in our society. Gay marriage will break the balance of institution of marriage, and it will also twist the status of the authoritative religion and Bible’s contents.... [tags: Ballot Initiative Groups]
668 words (1.9 pages)
- Over the last 5-10 years the healthcare system has begun reformation to increase safety, efficiency, cost reduction, increasing continuum of care, and increases in information technology (IT). There are many influences that are creating this need for change including laws, regulations, and the consumers of the healthcare system. The consumer is beginning to take charge of their health and become an advocate of their healthcare needs and plans of action. This transformation has created a greater need for the healthcare system to increase the use of health management information system (HMIS).... [tags: Health Reform Initiatives]
3072 words (8.8 pages)
- 1. Why might Bollenbach have opened his bidding for ITT at $55 per share. What was his likely strategy. The $55 value is on the lower range of the analyst eztimates, with a best guess estimate of $67.94. Since the value of the stock had been below $45 for 4 months, the offer of 55 dollars represented a 29% premium to investors. Bollenbach knew that management would be resistant of any attempt to be acquired, regardless of price, because of failed previous attempts to negotiate a friendly merger at year end 1996.... [tags: Finance Business Analysis]
1431 words (4.1 pages)
- ITT Trip Scheduling The Information, Tours and Tickets (ITT) office could use a system to assist them in creating trip schedules. In this paper I will outline a plan for a Decision Support System (DSS) that will assist ITT in creating schedules for their tours. This system will also track customer surveys and hold data about all of ITTs trips. They already have some computer systems, a spread sheet program and a data base management system (DBMS) which can all be used to build a small DSS. Using the DBMS and the spread sheet software I have designed a system to assist them in making decisions about scheduling trips.... [tags: Business Management Strategy Analysis]
1371 words (3.9 pages)
- The progress of the initiative was tracked by the Educational Psychologist against a control class as part of her on-going research. However, I was interested to know how our participation in the project had affected class dynamic and, more importantly, if it had created a learning environment which was conducive to active learning. I used the three predetermined reflection points to track mine and the class’s progress. Sonia observed a lesson and engaged in a pre-agreed monitoring activity we also had a coaching conversation.... [tags: Educational psychology, Psychology, Knowledge]
994 words (2.8 pages)
- THE CANADIAN HIV VACCINE INITIATIVE Description- The Canadian HIV Vaccine Initiative is a Canada based body, which works for the progress of HIV vaccines and testing method, at a global level. Though this organization was established by the Ministry of Canada, it involves enough cooperation and interactivity from other international organizations too. ________________________________________________________________________ Keywords- Canadian HIV Vaccine Initiative, Canadian HIV Vaccine Initiatives, CHVI, Canadian Ministry HIV Vaccine Initiative, Initiatives by Canada towards AIDS, Canada Ministry’s initiatives for AIDS, HIV in Canada, Canada fighting HIV, Goals of the Canadian HIV Vaccine I... [tags: Health Care]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- Over the course of 3 weeks, an assessment was conducted in the Millwood’s community of Lee ridge; through the assessment opportunities for health promotion were identified for a prominent group within the community. This paper goes on to discuss the various components of a planned initiative for this community. Firstly various components of the assessment and planning phase are discussed such the target group of the initiative, the main goal for the initiative and the various criteria used to determine this as a community need.... [tags: health care, literacy, child development]
2279 words (6.5 pages)
- Initiative The aftermath of Proposition 227, formally titled the English Language for Immigrant Children Initiative, is as varied as the bilingual teaching methods it replaces. The issue of how to educate limited English proficient (or LEP) children has become so politicized that the research on the subject is difficult to interpret. However, two aspects that appear to be problematic for all of California’s school districts are the vague language of the initiative (which is now law), and the lack of methodology for the new "sheltered immersion" programs.... [tags: Education Educational Papers]
2292 words (6.5 pages)
- Affirmative Action Under Attack by Initiative 200. Affirmative action is under heavy attack by initiative 200, and it should not be. It should not be under fire because it serves as an act of restitution for the discrimination and hurt that we have caused African-Americans and other minorities throughout this century. It is our job to repair and repay blacks because our performance in the past has immediately affected their present status. Americans, especially white males until late, were not opposed to affirmative action.... [tags: essays research papers]
652 words (1.9 pages)