I have written many papers in my life for school because I had to, but I write shorter reports and longer research based papers for my career field. As a member of the military and a fire department, I have to write narratives every day for the services that I provide to my community and my country. The style of this writing is different than what we use in class. There are many different writing styles that people have. I have wrote about 100 papers in the past two years for school, and up to this point, I have not had to write a paper in the MLA format. I can recall writing MLA style papers when I was in high school, but all of my college career has been writing in APA style. These styles require different citations and references (Hacker and Sommers). I have written dozens of reports and papers for work, and they all require some statistical data and research. All of my fire service classes, sociology classes, and emergency management classes have required that their papers be written in the APA format. There are not too many differences, but I did have to do some research to be able to use this format correctly.
I have always written papers for one specific task or group of people, so I have never thought much about writing my paper t...
... middle of paper ...
... it is the least important of them all. If I don’t do my homework, I get a bad grade, but if I don’t show up to work, I can get fired. This is why I would usually have my wife read through my papers, so that I can get a different set of eyes on what I have written to get a different point of view on the paper. She would find mistakes and help clarify sentences that did not flow very well.
Overall, writing is not one of my strong points, but I do feel that this class has helped improve my writing. I have improved my writing style by identifying my audience, research, and improving the grammar within my papers. There are still several areas that need improvement, but I feel that more write will help me become a better writer and help improve my opportunities in my career field. I feel that this course has helped to better prepare me for advancement in my future.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- My writing skills have been improving over the course of this semester. The helpful handouts did actually help with my writing process. This class has also given me the chance of building on the skills have learned in the previous semester and applying these skills to the papers I have written. I have seen some growth in my writing style and the way I word things. Word usage I improved a lot on and has made me a better writer or more skilled. I believe the papers I have written this semester have improved compared to the papers I write in English 111.... [tags: Writing, Thought, Literature, Mind]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- LITERACY NARRATIVE KINE DEGEFU WESTERN GOVERNERS UNIVERSITY WGU STUDENT ID # 414551 MY IMPROVEMENT IN ESL CLASS Writing two essays in my ESL class was a significant writing experience because they helped me create cohesive paragraphs. This class has taught me how to write well-organized papers. My writing has improved gradually, but I still have some work to do.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Article, Better]
713 words (2 pages)
- Since starting this class, my writing has changed in a way that wouldn’t be noticeable by most people who have read my previous work. It is not a change that is visible, no. It was a change that occurred in my thought process, after having criticism not only from an English professor, but from my fellow students and friends who share the same mindset as me. Their criticism was much more involved than what a professor can give, as they have many different pieces of writing to review, and can only be so in-depth with one paper.... [tags: Writing, Paper, Writing style, Writing process]
1403 words (4 pages)
- Composition 1 taught me crucial writing skills and helped me grow as a writer. At the beginning of the semester, my papers utilized a considerable amount of passive voice, lacked transitional phrases, and the context was not always fully developed. But throughout the class, my writing became more clear, organized, and comprehensive. Passive voice allows the object of an action to be the subject of a sentence. In my first paper, the formal summary essay, I wrote, “The term describes situations, dating back to the 1980s, when excessive numbers of blacks were found to have been exposed to highly polluted areas.” The use of “were found” and “been exposed” distort the meaning of the sentence.... [tags: Writing, Writing process, Paper, Grammar]
798 words (2.3 pages)
- Writing is an important and useful way to communicate with people. Without an essential writing skill, people may have difficulty communicating with others. In Pace University, English Department focuses on improving students writing by adding a workshop class to improve students ' writing. Over the course of the semester, I have learned a better technique and tips from Professor Boylan, reading an essay from authors and class discussion. Writing had always been one of my weaknesses, but it was challenging to take that initial step past high school.... [tags: Writing, Better, Improve, Writer]
1126 words (3.2 pages)
- My writing styles have changed drastically over the past four years of high school. This memo will explain how my writing has changed and how my knowledge of writing has improved. Aspects of My Writing during High School During my English courses throughout high school, I learned many things from writing simple journals, research papers, and a single term paper. During high school, I was laid back and procrastinated for much of my work. During the latter part of high school when I wrote my term paper my senior year, I found out that working a little every night writing a few paragraphs helped me out greatly.... [tags: My Writing Style]
3155 words (9 pages)
- 10 Question- Option 2 1. The thesis statement should include a topic and issue or claim. The thesis must be debatable and establish critical thinking. Moreover, a thesis statement is also the last sentence in your introduction paragraph. 2. There needs to be a minimum of five sentences in a paragraph. However, if you surpass the five-sentence minimum you are more likely to have more detail and better fully develop paragraph. 3. The rhetorical strategy cause and effect will help me with my future writing skills because I will be able to explain the reason behind something happening.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Critical thinking, Rhetoric]
1272 words (3.6 pages)
- During the course of this semester; the variety of writing styles and essays assigned to me in my communication skills class encouraged the development of my writing skills, as well as provided me with more self-assurance in my abilities. My writing, research, and presentation abilities enhanced through practice, determination, and the understanding I gained during this course. With every single writing assignment, I learned new innovative approaches and skills, which enhanced my abilities to improve my thoughts logically, enabling me to write more clearly, and to organize my papers more effectively.... [tags: writing styles, skills and presentation abilities]
760 words (2.2 pages)
- I have always considered writing to be a work in progress, and it constantly can be improved. I have always been devoted to writing. I loved to write stories as a child because I could use my creativity and create any type of character I desired. But I have struggled with writing as well. English has never been my forte. I have received A’s, B’s, C’s, and D’s on essays. I truly never found my voice in writing. In my high school, English teachers would give me mixed reviews on my writing. For example, in 9th grade my English teacher said I was organized with my thoughts, and my writing process was excellent.... [tags: english, high school]
853 words (2.4 pages)
- Writing 150 has been a truly enjoyable course for me. While I have always loved language and literature, this class gave me a fresh, new perspective on what it means to be a writer. From the very first class, I was redefining what writing means to me and how I could use it in my life, even if my career path isn’t centered around writing. As the semester comes to a close, I want to share with you which paper was my favorite from this course, how my identity as a writer has changed, and how I will approach future writing tasks with a new and improved writing process.... [tags: Writing, Writing process, Paper, Writing style]
943 words (2.7 pages)