Did using www.paperrater.com have an impact on the essay writing skills of tenth grade World Civilizations students? To gain distinct answers to this question students would need to be tracked for longer than one unit in tenth grade. The minimum about of time for an accurate study would be full school year. That way, students would be introduced to the concept of using Paperrater from the start, while the constant group would never be introduced to it at all. Over the entire school year the researcher could compare scores from five-paragraph essays and not just comparing one or two. By looking at a full year’s worth of data, the researcher could see if there was any impact, especially two, three, and four months after the Paperrater was first introduced to the students.
The student surveys were the biggest strength of this study. The surveys provided real data about the students before the unit began and then again after the unit was over. How confident are you in your writing skills? Can you proofread an essay? These questions were on both pre and post surveys and provided the most interesting results. While some of the results did not change much, these two questions did, students felt more confident in their writing and proofreading skills after the unit than they did before the unit b...
... middle of paper ...
...aster’s Degree Experience
Looking back at my master’s degree experience, it has been a rollercoaster. I started off with such motivation, I wanted to become a better teacher and get done with the program as quickly as possible. That feeling continued, for about four months, and then real life happened. As much as I wanted to work on this degree for twenty hours a week, I did not have that kind of time or the ability to mentally. I have also learned that I am stronger than I thought, while getting a master’s degree I was also teaching full time, teaching additional classes, coaching tennis, was very active in my church, and dealing with terminal diagnosis and eventual death of my mother. Did I finish my degree as quickly as I wanted? No, but I am a better person now than I was when I began, simply by knowing that I can do anything if I put my mind to it.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Intellectual Women Work Through the Theories of the Talented Tenth In this article I will attempt to demonstrate a coherent link between the actions of Anna Julia Cooper, bell hooks, and Patricia Hill Collins as each intellectual carries (or carried) on the work of the Talented Tenth. This research will include a discussion of Cooper's educational work as well as her speaking career; in both areas she advocated equal education opportunities for Black women. The central concern of DuBois' theory, his advocacy for education and the creation of an upper class of Blacks, was thus promoted by Cooper through these vehicles.... [tags: Essays Papers]
1452 words (4.1 pages)
- Up until this point, I believed, no matter what, identity is the backbone of writing. Likewise, in his article, Bronwyn Williams elaborates on how identity is present in writing, which made me realize that scholars and researchers argue identity is not present in writing. Williams starts off by stating there is no such thing as “a single set of academic writing skills we can teach students” (Williams 711), mainly because diversity reflects distinct methods of communication and knowledge. For example, when a college professor assigns a personal essay, ideas can vary from student to student based individual morals and values.... [tags: High school, Education]
918 words (2.6 pages)
- The skills students need to cultivate today are changing to reflect our technology rich world. The ability to learn and be able to access information is more important than just receiving information. Traditional methods of teaching such as lecturing no longer prepare students for the 21st century participatory culture. The Media 21 Initiative designed and implemented by Buffy Hamilton with co-teacher Susan Lester focuses on the teacher as a “guide on the side” rather than the “sage on the stage.” Integrating technology through cloud computing, social media tools, and personal learning networks provided students the framework to facilitate their own learning.... [tags: Tech. Skills, Informative]
1388 words (4 pages)
- I feel that I have expanded writing skills, but I need to keep improving them to be prepared for the real world. Over the course I have grown and learned more than I thought possible. I have learned here how to write and express myself, and how to think for myself. This essay demonstrates that I have developed my communication and personal thinking skills. However, I need to keep working on many aspects such as word choice and sentence structure. Writing has never been my forte. While it has been a difficult semester, I believe that my writing skills have improved.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Mexican Drug War, Communication]
1386 words (4 pages)
- Every person has their own unique way of writing which makes their writing stand out among the other people’s writing. Weather a person’s writing is full of high leveled vocabulary to a person use of complex sentences. Throughout the semester I had many times where I felt that my writing was weak at certain points or at times where my writing skills to started to improve. The major assignments and the short answer responses helped improve my skills as a writer. Even though all three major assignments helped improved my writing skills, the one that had the most effect in my writing was the report essay as it helped discover new methods while also the short answer response number 4 helped me t... [tags: Writing, Essay, Essays, Linguistics]
703 words (2 pages)
- During this semester in LLD class, I have learned some writing skills and reading skills from the textbook “College Writing Skills,” and written three essays which helped me improve my reading and writing skills. Grammar is the rule of word and sentence, which means that put the right word into the appropriate position to make it become a complete sentence. In addition, this book tells us that the most important problem is to avoid having grammatical errors in the essay, that will make reader misunderstand the sentence 's meaning.... [tags: Writing, Grammar, Essay, Linguistics]
740 words (2.1 pages)
- Within the weeks 7 through till 12 I have had many seminars on study skills and the skills for success, some of which including skills to help me with reading skills and also to help me with my essay writing. These seminars help me to gain a stronger understanding of the skills that I need to improve on and the skills that I feel relatively okay with. It also allows me to think about some skills that I wouldn 't usually think about. Firstly there was the essay writing session with 10 of my peers and I was learning about different techniques on how to write an essay and also what a “good essay” includes.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Need to know, Word]
1582 words (4.5 pages)
- Ever since I started talking this class, English 1301, with Dr. Piercy, I have been able to expand my writing and thinking skills. Not only was I able to make more better essays but I also learned important topics such as how education creates an impact in the world. In this essay I will be talking about three writings and how they are related to this course semester. The three writings are “On Bullshit” by Harry Frankfurt, “Why I Write Bad” by Milo Beckman,and “Statement of Teaching Philosophy” by Stephen Booth.... [tags: Essay, Writing, On Bullshit, On Truth]
964 words (2.8 pages)
- Moral themes are prevalent in the novel The Tenth Man by Graham Greene. One moral theme in this book was the willingness to give up your life for another and the motives for doing so. People sometimes sacrifice their life for another. Perhaps the author put this in the book because in today's society very few people are willing to give up their life to save another, and if they are willing they usually would do it for the wrong reasons. For example in the book Janvier gave up his life for another but his motive was unclear.... [tags: The Tenth Man Essays]
1395 words (4 pages)
- The Importance of Writing Skills in the Workplace What are the words you write revealing about you. Are they saying I am a well educated and smart business person or are they screaming that I am an ignoramus. The way you write reveals so much about you and your business skills. Your writing tells the reader about your educational background, whether you have pride in your work and your level of business expertise. Any company with employees who write clearly and concisely has a competitive edge over other companies whose employees are still struggling to communicate.... [tags: Business Writing]
1903 words (5.4 pages)