Essay PreviewMore ↓
Give yourself time. Trying to cram an entire 5 paragraph persuasive essay within 100 minutes is not a good idea. Allow yourself enough time to brainstorm, write, and proofread. Put as much effort into your paper as you can in the time period you are given, including the steps below.
Brainstorm. Writing a persuasive essay is very much like writing an ordinary paper. Of course, before you begin, you have to come up with a good solid view, a foundation which you can base your entire paper on. It's best if you pick a topic which you strongly believe in. That way, you can defend your ideas better and make your paper sound a lot more convincing. The case that you are making needs to have enough depth and be worthy of support. You might want to consider opposing viewpoints to make it easier for you to realize how opposing people think.
First Paragraph. This has to be your paragraph that draws attention to your essay. Start with something like: [What is a good pet? Although there are many different kinds of pets to choose from, I think that the feline cat is the best choice of a pet. A cat is an excellent choice of pet because it is easy to handle, doesn't cause trouble, and is friendly.] Start out with something that draws the reader's attention. Then, state clearly what you are going to pick (in this case, a cat). Finally, list your reasons.
Start off your essay by stating your views. Don't get too specific. Leave the details for later. Just lay out your main idea and opinion. Your first sentence should be a thesis sentence, and have the basic ideas that encompasses all that you will say in the rest of the essay. You will need a paragraph supporting your idea, and a paragraph for people who oppose your idea. E.G. Cats are good pets because they don't lubricate all over the house. A sentence for the people who oppose your idea is: Even though cats bite a lot, you can control this by training it. See how you can get an answer to an opposition. This is needed.
Make body paragraphs. At minimum, write three paragraphs for the body of the essay. Each paragraph should cover a main point to back up your argument and idea.
How to Cite this Page
"Writing Persuasive or Argumentative Essays." 123HelpMe.com. 22 Jan 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In persuasive writing, a writer takes a position FOR or AGAINST an issue and writes to convince the reader to believe or do something. Persuasive writing is often used in advertisements to get the reader to buy a product. It is also used in essays and other types of writing to get the reader to accept a point of view. In order to convince the reader you need more than opinion; you need facts or examples to back your opinion. So, be sure to do the research. Persuasive writing follows a particular format.... [tags: Writing an Essay]
1005 words (2.9 pages)
- Everyone needs to know how to write a persuasive essay. It's actually not as difficult as it seems. Give yourself time. Trying to cram an entire 5 paragraph persuasive essay within 100 minutes is not a good idea. Allow yourself enough time to brainstorm, write, and proofread. Put as much effort into your paper as you can in the time period you are given, including the steps below. Brainstorm. Writing a persuasive essay is very much like writing an ordinary paper. Of course, before you begin, you have to come up with a good solid view, a foundation which you can base your entire paper on.... [tags: Writing an Essay]
574 words (1.6 pages)
- I’ve always viewed myself as an above average writer, taking rigorous AP courses to further my knowledge and challenge myself to the best of my ability. Through my experiences of high school, I learned of ethos, pathos, and logos, writing persuasive essays, rhetorical analysis essays, as well as argumentative essays. Even though I tested out of taking WRC 1013, I still wanted to make sure I was prepared in writing thorough essays While taking the WRC 1023, I learned of kairos, in order for an argument to be persuasive it has to have the right time to be effective.... [tags: Rhetoric, Writing, Essay, Learning]
1318 words (3.8 pages)
- A Frank Writing on Frank Furedi Crimes against children, like kidnapping and murder, are serious problems in the US and the UK. However, Culture of Fear author Frank Furedi argues in his book that the concern over crime against children in the US and the UK is overblown. In a brief passage, Furedi downplays kidnappings in the US, and child murders in the UK. Furedi uses convenient statistics to make a flimsy argument on why reactions to these issues take on "panic-like proportions" (Furedi 24).... [tags: Position Argumentative Persuasive Essays]
2061 words (5.9 pages)
- The Importance of College Writing in a Digital Age In the ever changing and evolving society we live in, new tools and techniques in education are being developed everyday. Debates on how a subject such as college writing should be taught is a multi-angled argument encompassing all sorts of opinions. Should college writing be taught and how. If we teach it, what should its main goals be. These are the questions that seem to have too many answers. Statistics, facts, research, and history will help us find those few, specific answers.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Education Essays]
1448 words (4.1 pages)
- ... On the model essays current topics and ny. Grade informal To express themselves. To. That compares and 9th floor, it is something. Grade course will be used, poems, eleventh, it took me by understanding 9th grade. Human nature essay fall erina high schools. E. Essay topics nathan blaney photodisc getty images. Turnitin. With writing standard. The scoring. Laporan gaya ukm thesis statements. 9th grade. Study with my 9th grade english literature. Using sample informative prompt every time writing prompts posted to explain one of 9th grade narrative paper.... [tags: Educational years, High school, Writing, Essay]
1085 words (3.1 pages)
- Writing is like art- it helps us to express ourselves. However, writing differs from art in that it has to follow specific parameters, such as structure, syntax, grammar, and so on. At the beginning of the quarter, I had preconceived ideas as to what "good" writing was, and how I should go about it. While working on my first assignment, I discovered that to be reasonably successful at this I had to leave behind my perceptions of writing as it is accepted in my country and to start from scratch. Throughout this portfolio, I demonstrate my development and growth as a writer.... [tags: Writing Analysis]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- Anti-Theme Writing All writers of the world join together and work to banish theme writing from existence. Anyone who can read and write must join together in opposition to the teaching and proliferation of the theme writing disease. Theme writing blocks insight and creativity among the world's population who in striving for an education must be continually oppressed, and denied a very important ability, the ability to think. For hundreds of years the world has been divided into three major classes, the boredwajzee, the studentletariat, and the illiterate.... [tags: Teaching Argumentative Persuasive Essays]
954 words (2.7 pages)
- ... It wasn’t anything that a healthy 6-year-old can’t easily overcome but she stayed home anyway to stop the cold from spreading among the other kids. Once she was better though and ready to return to school, it was time to provide some form of a written explanation of her absence. This was nearly 30 years ago and Google Translate was hardly an option. After sending her to bed, I sat down with some paper and pen and, most importantly, a big English dictionary to compose a simple note. Then the challenges arrived: “Sorry for my daughter, she was cold,” I wrote.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Composition studies]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- ... One of the things that brought the improvement of my transitions to my attention was actually a bad transition from my LEN when reviewing past papers I have written. The end of a paragraph should have some relation to the start of the next so that ideas flow smoothly in a text. Ending a paragraph in my LEN I stated that “My hands became exclamation points to each of my claims as I was talking with gestures and owning the stage for myself”. That paragraph finished and I started the following one talking about what speech was about by saying “My speech was an argumentative speech about life in prison without parole for juveniles”.... [tags: Better, Improve, Writing, The Burger King]
1060 words (3 pages)
* First sentence, Main point: Cats are easy to look after.
* Second sentence, Minor point 1: They are very independent.
* Third Sentence, Minor point 2: Cats are very clean and hygienic.
* Fourth Sentence, Minor point 3: Cats are very intelligent.
* Your last sentence should be a transition to the next paragraph to help keep reading smooth.
Finish off with a conclusion (last sentence). Restate each of your points and end the whole paper with a very well written sentence that leaves the reader with an imprint of the essay. Make it something that they won't easily forget.
Proofread. Use the spell checker on your computer to check the spellings of the words (if applicable). Also check your paper twice for yourself to make sure the content makes sense. Have others check your paper. The more the essay is checked, the easier it is to find mistakes.