Teaching is not a career a person can choose, it is a career that a person must have a passion for. Teaching is a career that requires patience and nobility because it is a job that will require a lot of work with little recognition. I chose my major in education of social sciences because I have always been passionate about helping others. Throughout my life I have had the help of teachers and mentors and I believe I am where I am because of them. One day I want to help children so they can feel like they can do whatever they choose to with their life, whatever it is that makes them passionate. I think that something the US lacks is global education and that is why I want to teach in the social science. In education writing can be informal but it does require different types of research. The main types of research according to Smith and Smith (2014) are lesson plans, curriculum guides, assessment reports, classroom observations, case studies, journal writing, reflection papers, research papers, position papers, annotated bibliographies, electronic portfolios, and conference presentations.
While being in school there is pressure to choose a career path and to do so as soon as possible. Most schools require a student to declare a major before their junior year. Although this may seem a little soon, because of the pressure to choose a major some classes require students to do deep research on what they intend to do. As part of my research on education I interviewed a friend who teaches at a local school, and sought information from other sources. I used an article by Diane Dawson (2015), an article written by Kim Sawyer (2015) from the University of Richmond, and the book Building Bridges Through...
... middle of paper ...
...nd writing throughout their lives and cannot avoid it. She references the National Writing Project, which is a teacher development program that assists teachers in knowing how to write and having the ability to teach it. She states it is important for educators to have the ability to write for their work and the ability to teach students how to do so.
Researching what it is like to work in education reinforced my decision to make it my major. Reading how the programs implemented by Dawson in her university and by local educators as in New Dorp High School made a difference in the success of students makes me realize how important educators are. Prior to this assignment I was not aware of the difficulties of communication between educators and their administrators. I am now aware of how important it is to know who the audience is for a paper and the format for each.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Summary of Instructional Problem Many students in high school lack the ability to write at a proficient level. One of the major issues with writing is that they struggle to understand the prompt and do not know how to start their essay. If they cannot “unlock” the prompt and write proper topic and thesis statements they will not get a passing score on their writing assignment, both in the classroom and at the State testing level. Differences Between Conditions Current Conditions Students struggle to understand writing prompts.... [tags: education, writing prompts]
1125 words (3.2 pages)
- THE CREATIVE PROCESS As a student of Creative Media Practice, I have come to appreciate the concept of practice as research, people set about research for a diversity of reasons, but the major goals for academics is to address a problem, find things out or establish new heights. According to Robin Nelson in his book, Practice as Research in the Arts: “The term ‘Arts Practice as Research’ would probably not have been coined had artists not gotten involved with modern higher education systems in respect to programmes of learning” (2013: 3).... [tags: Narrative, Style, Writing, Fiction]
1514 words (4.3 pages)
- This portfolio will be comprised of several of my original written pieces from both English Composition 112 and 112. During both semesters I was able to reach enlightenment through my writing using many technical writing skills that I learned throughout the course of Dual Enrollment English as a whole. My main English weaknesses during my beginning semester were focused around verb usage, diction, content (mainly from research), and organization (through beginning, middle, and end). Although, towards the end of English Composition 112, I seemed to have mastered most of these weaknesses and they were now my newfound strengths in writing overall.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Writing style, Paper]
1725 words (4.9 pages)
- Parents and Education I am writing primarily to parents who have children in elementary school and high school, but teachers, librarians, and other members of school staff ought to listen as well. My position is that both parents should be closely involved in the school life of all their children. Education is a very important part of all societies and cultures. The education system plays a key role in the early lives of all citizens of the United States of America. The nature and extent of an individual’s formal education will generally have great effects upon their entire life.... [tags: Education]
1182 words (3.4 pages)
- 2.1 Higher Education Students in Australia Higher education or tertiary education is generally provided by universities and higher institutions that award higher education qualification (Higher Education, 2016). In Australia, this can be provided by a university, self-accrediting provider, or non self-accrediting provider. The country has established a national framework that gives guidelines for the institutions and students (see Figure 1). Figure 1. Australian Qualification Framework Source: The Australian higher education system, no date In 2015, the total number of higher education students studying in Australia reaches to around 1.4M with a 2.7% increase as compared to 2014.... [tags: Higher education, Education, Academic degree]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- I was a difficult child in school. ESPECIALLY in middle school. I felt that I knew more than the teachers and no one was worth listening to because they didn’t know what they were talking about. I did. I went to summer school every year in middle school and a part of me felt I was cool for doing so. To say I was a dumb teenager is a major understatement. Now that I am mature I look back at myself with regret and honestly with a little disgust. Having the experience and the mindset I did in middle school is the reason I want to teach those grades.... [tags: Writing, Education, Want, Teacher]
1230 words (3.5 pages)
- The APA writing style is most commonly used to cite sources for psychology, education, and social sciences and is also the official writing style of the American Psychological Association. The General APA Organizational Guidelines are basic guidelines that explain how to write a research paper in the APA format. These guidelines ensure clear and consistent presentation of written material that differentiates from other writing styles because it concerns elements such as: Citations, punctuation, presentation of numbers, etc There are four major sections in an APA paper.... [tags: APA Writing Style]
1600 words (4.6 pages)
- Upon deciding a topic for a research project our attention immediately turned to the stereotypes of clubs. Each club has been identified and aligned in the minds of students with certain attributes. Our first idea focused on the specific stereotypes associated with members of clubs regarding personality types. Similar research has been done on this topic. In 2000, Gary Pike conducted a survey among first year college students at an unspecified college in the Midwest. Subjects were given a survey that identified their personality types, intended major, and expectations of their college experience.... [tags: Education]
1132 words (3.2 pages)
- I wouldn’t say that I am a good writer, and I really don’t like to read books either. Through my years in school I became literate in these two categories. I was and still am not interested in writing, or reading books in my spare time. The only writing I have ever done is for school. Writing just does not interest me, and the only reading I do out of class is reading about sports in magazines, or reading the news, or looking at web pages. I have only read a couple of books on my own, 95% of all the books I have read have been for school.... [tags: Teaching Writing Education Essays]
1025 words (2.9 pages)
- Survey of Education A formal education is a very valuable tool in today’s society. But why is it important, and what exactly makes up an education. I will attempt to explain these question through a variety of ways. As a current University student, I know what my education and college experience means to me, but I also want to know what other students think the purpose of an education is. I will investigate what exactly students learn and have learned at the Uof A. Then I will contrast the thought of traditional and non-traditional students.... [tags: College University Education Essays]
1654 words (4.7 pages)