By placing the emphasis on the audience instead of the rules of writing, my goal was that students would use the strategies because they wanted to provide their audience with descriptive writing, making incorporating the strategies easier to remember while writing. The final observations showed just that.
The data that was collected during observations of students writing in home journals during weeks five and six are displayed in figure 5.
Figure 5. Data collected during observation of students writing during week five and six.
The final observations revealed that students were excited and ready to begin writing. They were interested to read the letters written in response to their letters. They were also excited to share what they were going to learn about or had learned. Students exhibited on task behaviors during writing such as not talking and writing for the whole time given. While it was observed that there was still some confusion about how to format a letter, the confusion was minimal. Final observations also revealed that the use of strategies had greatly increased. Students were using correct capitization, spaces between words and punctuation. Descriptive writing had greatly increased in these entries. I was not the only one who noticed the change in students writing. The adults reading the letters began making comments about how much student’s writing had changed over the course of writing in home journals.
The data collected from observations of the implementation of home journals showed a substantial growth in students’ attitudes towards writing, use of strategies, and knowledge of letter writing. Home journals all...
... middle of paper ...
... material requiring them to have a deeper understanding and to recall information. There was a rise in both social studies and science grades during this study. Students’ often chose to write about information learned during social studies and science. Before the implementation of home journals, the average science grade was an eighty percent and the average grade in social studies was a seventy five percent. After the implementation of home journals, the average science and social studies grade was an eighty five percent.
A positive impact that I wasn’t expecting was the confidence that I gained about teaching writing to my students. Before starting this study, I would have said that writing instruction was my weakest area of instruction. After the study I feel that I have a greater understanding of what students need to be successful writers and how to deliver the
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Journal 8 Reflecting on Written Communication Written Communication is an interesting course. It teaches you all you need to know to write an effective, interesting, communicative college level paper. You will learn things like brainstorming, drafting, Editing, peer review activities and feedback. You will learn how to layout a paper, research for that paper, and put it all together. Written Communication will teach you to think about what you are writing, who you are writing to, and what point you want to get across to your specific audience.... [tags: Writing, Paper, Communication, Creative writing]
1053 words (3 pages)
- The Interesting Bus Ride Home When most people think about an eventful or memorable place, they almost certainly would not picture a bus. As we all know, buses are not exactly attractive. The design scheme is the same in almost every bus: rows and rows of brown seats, a thin black aisle down the middle of the bus, hundreds of hazy windows, and the big, lemon-yellow exterior. Not many people, I am sure, would consider buses to be an important part of their lives. However, if a person were to think about it, they would realize that they probably have had at least one memorable experience in their life that took place on a bus.... [tags: Descriptive Essay, Descriptive Writing]
1583 words (4.5 pages)
- We all read and write in our everyday life, whether to stay tuned to current events, communicating with our friends through social media, or for the academic purposes. It is very difficult to get used to reading and writing, especially for the people like with English as the second language. The assignments I have completed, the improvements I have made, and by countless help from the instructor throughout the semester in the English 1010 course, I was able to gain some significant skills that will help me not only in the future English course, but also in any purpose of the writing or reading.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Better, Linguistics]
849 words (2.4 pages)
- For my essay I chose to interview my neighbor Kyle to learn more about his personal writing system he has been creating. I learned a lot more than I had been anticipating and could say that I received an eye opening from the way he discussed his passion. He opened my eyes in two ways. One, to how I viewed his passion and two, how I view my own passions. Now let me get a little more in depth on the real effects of these two things. Originally, I figured learning about the writing system would be interesting.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Linguistics, Subject]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- Personal writing Statement This semester in English 102 has been a great learning experience for me as a student. With each writing project I have grown as a writer learning new was of conducting and structuring an essay with MLA, or APA. Also this class has taught me how to create new works research writing from one original writing assignment, which I thought to be very helpful and interesting to learn rather than writing a whole new paper. English 102 was also a great experience with sentence structure and grammar which was another area of writing that I believe I have excelled in.... [tags: Learning, Writing, Psychology]
831 words (2.4 pages)
- Writing is like art- it helps us to express ourselves. However, writing differs from art in that it has to follow specific parameters, such as structure, syntax, grammar, and so on. At the beginning of the quarter, I had preconceived ideas as to what "good" writing was, and how I should go about it. While working on my first assignment, I discovered that to be reasonably successful at this I had to leave behind my perceptions of writing as it is accepted in my country and to start from scratch. Throughout this portfolio, I demonstrate my development and growth as a writer.... [tags: Writing Analysis]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- It was interesting to read everyone’s theories about writing and hear both similar and diverse insights about people’s writing processes and their past experiences with writing. It helped me reflect on things more too. A few people talked about not really knowing where to begin when asked, “What is your theory of writing?” For example, Renee said, “What is my theory of writing?” To be honest I’m not sure if I have one, or really fully understand what it means exactly. I get extremely frustrated trying to write a paper when I don’t exactly know what I’m supposed to write” I also wasn’t sure what a “theory of writing” was exactly when I sat down to work on this assignment.... [tags: Writing, Writing process, A Great Way to Care]
1041 words (3 pages)
- Through Writing to Confidence To a bilingual, there are a few things more terrifying than writing in the secondary language. The elasticity of expression—so natural in the native tongue—disappears between the lines composed of foreign words and strange phrases. While speaking, you can “fudge” your way through, laugh off the mispronounced word or a missed preposition. When you’re writing, however, the composition alone carries the meaning, and there is no hand gesture or a smile to compensate for a mistake or worse, a misunderstanding.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Composition studies]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- The Style of Writing According to the Webster’s New World Dictionary, the definition of style is “a characteristic manner of expression”(612). Usually words such as personal, individual, and unique also come to mind when we think of writing style. I have always associated writing style with belonging uniquely to one individual, meaning that everyone had his or her own style. After reading, “Style Toward Clarity and Grace” by Joseph Williams and “The Elements of Style” by William Strunk and E.B.... [tags: Writing Styles Style Essays]
1202 words (3.4 pages)
- Style of Writing In both of the books various elements of style are mentioned, William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White’s The Elements of Style and Joseph M. Williams’ Style Toward Clarity and Grace, clarity and concision are to be the most important. I think that in order for your reader to be able to enjoy and understand what they are reading, it has to be written clearly and concisely. I believed that everyone has his or her own style: whether the style be that of one’s hair, clothes, or writing.... [tags: Education Writing Essays]
950 words (2.7 pages)