For my rhetoric in practice, I chose to write a short story called The People of Lagga. This short story is a fantasy about a traveling elf that teaches people how to use magic to create sustainable gardens and forests. I chose to add fantastical elements to my story because it deals with our theme of Fantasy and Fairytales and the idea of using a fantasy realm to address issues in our own society. The topic of my story, sustainability and respect for nature, is inspired by the recent support the media has shown for sustainable lifestyles. I know young people must be aware of these topics because some of the most popular channels like ABC and NBC have ads targeting teens that pertain to sustainability. These ads often urge people to change their ways in order to promote a “greener future”. For my story, I chose to work with a similar theme, however I wanted to place it in a text that allows teens to indirectly think about the importance of sustainability and its relation to the survival of the human race and the beauty of nature. As the author of my text, I decided to use kairos and point of view in order to persuade my readers that our current methods of interacting with the environment are not sustainable and that in order to survive people need to change and work together.
My use of kairos is present both in the text and in our own society. In the text, the main character, Advisa, meets the People of Lagga just as their garden is beginning to die. In turn, the people are more easily swayed to adopt her principles because their methods are evidently not being effective for their survival. Similarly, I am producing and releasing this text in a time when the media is influencing people to become mo...
... middle of paper ...
...ustainable lifestyles. Thus, I think younger audiences that have not been exposed to very much science, like high school and middle school students, may find my reasons for change more satisfactory than someone who has studied the science behind the depletion of the Earth’s resources would. Also, because my work is a fantasy I do not see older audiences taking very much interest in my text since it is not as advanced as the fantasies that older audiences would read. On the other hand, children under the age of 13 may not completely understand the message of my story because they have not yet taken interest in adult like topics such as sustainability. I targeted teens between the ages of 13 and 18 because I think they would be most receptive to my message given the current popularity of sustainability in the media, the medium of my text, and the style of my writing.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Throughout this course, I greatly improved my writing through the projects I did in this course and successfully fulfilled all the course learning outcomes of writing and designing, reading and analyzing, researching and documenting, and the use of technology and media. This course helped me improve my organization in my writing and helped me learn to be more specific to help get the point of what I needed to communicate across faster. The following sections demonstrate how I fulfilled the course learning outcomes and how I grew as a writer through this course.... [tags: Writing, Creative writing, Writer]
1606 words (4.6 pages)
- The purpose of this memo is to exhibit a full comprehension of the fundamentals of effective writing based on Kevin J. Harty’s book, Strategies for Business and Technical Writing. Harty demonstrates various strategies and useful techniques of business writing that implements clear, efficient and effective writing skills used in the business world. Writing Basics: Harty begins to demonstrate various strategies by stating that there are only two kinds of professional writing; clear, effective writing that meets the needs of both the reader and the writer and that bad writing which is unclear and ineffective writing does exist.... [tags: Writing, Writer, Creative writing, The Reader]
1072 words (3.1 pages)
- Plain English Communication INTRODUCTION After researching Communication, I have developed the following conclusions, which I will explain in this memo. I will attempt to answer several questions that pertain to communication and the importance. I developed my conclusions from researching provided handouts and the Internet. HOW IMPORTANT IS COMMUNICATION. In every society, humans have developed spoken and written language as a means of sharing messages and meanings. Readers need to know what is being said not how it is being said (1).... [tags: Free Essay Writer]
381 words (1.1 pages)
- As a writer throughout my public education, every year I was taught something different that by the end of the day I will come out of the class room all confused. Not being a perfect writer like many others has showed me that I can slowly improve in my writing. In writing there are many concepts known but each one is taught differently by each person. Not only are the taught different but they are also learned differently because it also depends on the learner. Since both reading and writing have never been that easy for me I can say that as a Senior in High School my english teacher taught me a variety of ways to be better at both.... [tags: Writing, Creative writing, Writer, Better]
840 words (2.4 pages)
- How to become a writer First, image you can write anything, any you want to express. No one would judge and correct your work and people just say it is a good work because it is real, not fake. It seems like an infant drew something on a paper. Even the infant does not know what he wants to drew and people cannot understand it, but people can feel the infant is happy at that time, and the infant’s work is successful. Writing for you, is homework and assignment when you are enrolled at school. You want to write a great paper and your teacher gives you her best way to improve you writing skills.... [tags: Writing, Want, Need, Writer]
1126 words (3.2 pages)
- As the semester continued and got closer to the end, I feel that I have grown as a writer. I branched out to different styles and types of essays as well as incorporating outside sources into my work. When I first started this course, I was scared and didn’t really know what to expect. I thought I was ok at writing and I wasn’t really worried about the class. When I received my first essay back with the feedback and the grade, I realized that I am a pretty good writer. I will have to admit that I did want to be a journalist, but I didn’t think I was good enough.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Paper, Writer]
706 words (2 pages)
- How to Be a Better Writer Writing is a skill. Some people have natural talent for it, while others have to work incredibly hard every single time they write to get any kind of decent work written. Many excellent writers write from life experiences as portrayed in many of the stories that will be mentioned later. Writing is a difficult skill which can take years to improve. All the writing tips in the world will not help someone improve their writing. Becoming an excellent writer requires hard work and dedication.... [tags: Writing, Writer, Essay, Creative writing]
967 words (2.8 pages)
- A GANGSTETR TURNES WRITER There was a kid named Tony Davidson who lived in Italy, Tony’s dad had a very powerful gang in Italy and everybody knew who they were. “If you’re having any problems I’ll fix them.” Said Tony’s dad. Tony however didn’t like violence he thought that all things could be handled peacefully. However everyone at school was afraid of him. They always bought him presents, gave him money because they knew if they didn’t they would the price. Tony never asked for any of it though.... [tags: Free Essay Writer]
740 words (2.1 pages)
- The new and improved Automated Essay Writer automatically writes your assignment, essays, articles, research papers for you. All you need to do is enter your assignment requirements and the Automated Essay Writer will present you with a unique and original essay within just few seconds. The only problem is that it has not yet been developed. Until the day we have finally perfected the Automated Essay Writer, one must be able to express themselves in writing if they wish to participate in the modern world.... [tags: Automated Essay Writer]
2253 words (6.4 pages)
- MEMO TO: Jim Wilson, Regional Operations Manager FROM: (name), Mid-Atlantic Regional Shopper DATE: April 15, 2003 SUBJECT: McDonalds Shop Report In response to your request, I investigated the (insert area location)McDonalds, located off of Wisconsin Avenue. After analyzing the behavior of the employees, I noticed some policy issues that should be addressed. Included in this report are a few steps that could be taken to improve the location and increase overall customer satisfaction.... [tags: Business Case Studies]
509 words (1.5 pages)
- Infection Control in Dental Care
- Compare and Contrast Two Accounts of the Role of the Census in Making up the UK Population
- Impact of Sucide Attacks on Job Satisfaction of Islamabad Police
- Immunization in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Benin,Burkina Faso and Côte d’Ivoire Immunization Services
- Improving Immunization Service in Benin, Burkina Faso and Côte d'Ivoire