The World Wide Web which was created in the early 90s specifically for US military forces has lately being converted into a convenient tool for communication, learning tool and entertainment. One of the most recognized platforms used on the internet are the social networking sites. There has been a great increase in the use of social networking sites, what started back as a phenomenon for only computer literates is now an integral part and a social norm for adults and teenagers all over the world.
The sudden rise in the popularity of social networking sites began in the last decade due to the extensive use of these platforms by schools and other organization, the world today is a global village where everyone is connected to each other through the vast networks generated by the internet and since 2000 till date; the internet has continued to be a major source of blessing and distraction to a lot of people with school students topping the list.
Social network is a stage for friends and even strangers to reconnect and share ideas, it allows for easy communication and students use this avenue to discuss class activities, other school assignments and even submit assignments to lecturers, while most other students just spend time on social media sites playing games and chatting with friends. There are various networking sites that are now available to students and the world at large. Facebook which is one of the mostly used social networks, reported to have about 500 million users and research has proven that more than half of its users are students and they spend at least 100 minutes per day.
Academic performance shows the extent to which a student or teacher has attained in their educational objectives; it is simply the pr...
... middle of paper ...
Social networking sites which come in different structures and forms are now part of our everyday lives and just like every other technological developments, it has both its advantages and disadvantages on a students’ academic performance. Student should know when to use social networking sites and they should regulate how long the use it and what they use it for so they don’t get distracted and lose focus. Teachers could set up strict policies against random use of social networking sites in schools and parents could help in monitoring the activities of their kids on the internet, government agencies could also be setup to monitor and organize the activities of students on the internet. Finally, students should be encouraged to use these sites to achieve their educational goals and to gather more information that could be beneficial to them.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Overview The World Wide Web which was created in the early 90s specifically for US military forces has lately being converted into a convenient tool for communication, learning tool and entertainment. One of the most recognized platforms used on the internet are the social networking sites. There has been a great increase in the use of social networking sites, what started back as a phenomenon for only computer literates is now an integral part and a social norm for adults and teenagers all over the world.... [tags: Social network aggregation, Social network service]
1326 words (3.8 pages)
- Overview Ever since the development of the World Wide Web in 1990, millions of online websites have been created for consumer use. When the Internet was first created, very few individuals had access to computers. As the cost of computers decreased to a price that more families could afford, many individuals bought computers for their households. In the late 1990s, the very first social networking sites were created; THEGLOBE.com and AOL instant messenger. After those social networking sites were developed, a plethora of online websites were created to fulfill the desires of online users.... [tags: Social network service, MySpace, Internet]
1477 words (4.2 pages)
- Modern day technologies offer numerous resources for all people, whether you are a student or a businessman. Information Technology can provide a plethora of options socially, educationally, and professionally. Social media can bring a family history to light, introducing the knowledge of bloodline and background. The internet can be used for the negative as well, as it leaves traces of the past that often come back to haunt an individual. Regardless of the positives and negatives, the World Wide Web has put data at our fingertips.... [tags: World Wide Web, Internet, Social media]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- The use of social media has been incorporated as a major role into everyday life among Americans. From individuals, young and old, to celebrities and businesses, everyone can be found logging on to the World Wide Web to engage in the social media craze that consumes so much of our time. Social media appeals to each of us, because whether we are searching for estranged friends, “following” celebrities we idolize, or looking for reviews, menus, or business hours at a local restaurant, we have the capability to do so by using social media.... [tags: Sociology, Social media, World Wide Web, Crime]
920 words (2.6 pages)
- Introduction To keep business owners and managers up to date on the use of the internet, Thibodaux Chamber of Commerce has asked a research consultant to perform an analysis on how internet use can affect small - to medium - sized businesses. Internet use has grown substantially in the last decade. More people are using the internet now than have in the past. The question is, how can businesses use this to their advantage. The purpose of this report is to find ways for small - to medium - sized businesses to benefit from this increase in internet use.... [tags: World Wide Web, Internet, Social media, Website]
1645 words (4.7 pages)
- While technology continues to grow, communities across the world use devices differently based on the abilities they want them to perform. Some communities prefer the simple information based web services inputted by humans, while some are for the advancement to the point that computers can generate new information on the web. This change from the concept of Web 1.0 to Web 3.0 can affect the way different parts society function through daily activities. As technology allows us to access the web anywhere in the world due to the different devices society possess, the idea of accessing the internet and the world-wide web continue to be interchangeable.... [tags: World Wide Web, Web 2.0, Internet]
2100 words (6 pages)
- Imagine a life without internet, everything would be different, many would not know what to do. It was just 25 years ago that the internet was created and changed the world. In 1989, the World Wide Web was created by Tim-Berners-Lee. Before the internet, information had to be acquired by books, people, or other written works. Now, anything a person would ever need to know is at the tip of their fingers. There are many ways that the World Wide Web has changed the world. It is still not accessible to everyone, but it is rapidly growing.... [tags: tim berners lee, internet, social media]
1177 words (3.4 pages)
- Marketing is the action or business of promoting and selling products or services, including research and advertising. Internet has made the world of marketing so much more simple and fast paced. Simply using the World Wide Web to market something opens up a whole new world of marketing which is easier and more effective. Online marketing is the best way to get your product out there because it provides all kinds of ways to promote and sell a product, things like creating a website for your business, being accessible from smartphones and reciprocal loyalty.... [tags: e-commerce, social media advertising]
1296 words (3.7 pages)
- The World Wide Web is censored in order to control the availability to illegal or deceitful information citizens have. Even though Internet and Web are thrown around interchangeably in many situations, there is a difference to distinguish between them. The Internet is a massive network of networks exchanging information together, which links computers together globally. The web is a way of accessing the information available on the Internet through the correct software ("CHM Revolution"). Depending on the country, censorship can be developed into different levels of security.... [tags: World Wide Web, Internet, Internet censorship]
1113 words (3.2 pages)
- Communication as today hasn’t been the same since last 30 years. If you wanted to communicate with others, before, your only options were to send a letter, a telegram, give a call or go in person. Sometime it takes time to receive a response by letter. Calling them, but they’re not home to answer. Sending a telegram may cost some money. The World Wide Web, or best known as the Internet has brought the revolution of technology it had impact how we communicate with others as today. Before the creation of the World Wide Web communication was different from now.... [tags: World Wide Web, Internet, Tim Berners-Lee]
1574 words (4.5 pages)