Cyber Attack Statistics
Cyberattacks against India continue to rise year after year. Many business do not have the resources or don’t know what to do against skilled cybercriminals. In the past, developed nations were the prime targets for cyberattacks. Indian organizations have seen the number of attacks increase and are now almost on part with the rest of the world.
The number of security incidents that have been handled by Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) over the last few years has increased exponentially. The types of incidents handled were generally related to malicious code, phishing, website intrusion, spam,
network scanning and probing and malware propagation.
Common Cyber-Attackers/Groups & Cyber Attack Methods
India is not known for internal hacking, or a hacking culture targeting external sites. The Indian hacker culture is related to “white-hat” or ethical hackers. Web searches easily reveal Indian hackers, and they are often prominent members of the IT community. They release books with tips on network security, and train future ethical hackers and information security specialists.
Cyber-security concerns in India are focused on external hackers and attacks. Most of India’s external threats have typically been politically motivated and can be classified as Advanced Persistent Threats (APT). The main threat-actor has been attacks from China, although the Chinese government denies these are government sponsored attacks. Other cyber-attacks originate in Pakistan. Most attacks originate with spear-phishing emails that contain an attachment with malware.
Country Government Cybersecurity Posture
Government Agencies focused on Cybersecurity
... middle of paper ...
...print of 2016 that India had been facing advanced persistent threats from Pakistan dating back to 2013. Like the Shadow Network attack, the Pakistani attack originates with spear phishing emails with malware attachments. The lure used in the emails were related to regional military and defense issues, often involving India-Pakistan relations and current events,
The malware SEEDOOR is often initially delivered to a target system by a downloader and then creates a backdoor to the victim’s system. SEEDOOR’s built-in functionality includes interacting with the file system, simulating mouse clicks, starting and terminating processes, transferring files, making recordings and screenshots of the desktop, recording sound from a microphone, recording and taking snapshots from webcams, and in some cases collecting Microsoft Outlook emails and attachments.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Cyber Security as an International Security Threat National and International Security is a sum of the actions taken by countries and other organizations that can guarantee the safety and well being of their population. It is vital for a nation to pre-emptively discover what issues could affect their security, and take action to prevent any detrimental or harmful events from happening. With the development of technology and the transition into a more technologically savvy society, cyber security has become one of the most prevalent and important economic and national security issues that the United States will come to face.... [tags: cyber terrorists, cyberspace]
2186 words (6.2 pages)
- In December 2013, Target was attacked by a cyber-attack due to a data breach. Target is a widely known retailer that has millions of consumers flocking every day to the retailer to partake in the stores wonders. The Target Data Breach is now known as the largest data breach/attack surpassing the TJX data breach in 2007. “The second-biggest attack struck TJX Companies, the parent company of TJMaxx and Marshall’s, which said in 2007 that about 45 million credit cards and debit cards had been compromised.” (Timberg, Yang, & Tsukayama, 2013) The data breach occurred to Target was a strong swift kick to the guts to not only the retailer/corporation, but to employees and consumers.... [tags: cyber attack, data breach, hackers]
1217 words (3.5 pages)
- Society has become ever-increasingly dependent upon technology, more specifically, computers to conduct personal and business transactions and communications. Consequently, criminals have targeted these systems to conduct information and cyber warfare, which can include politically motivated attacks and to profit through ill-gotten means. In an article written by Koblentz and Mazanec (2013), cyber warfare is the act of disabling an enemy’s ability to use or obtain information, degrade its ability to make decisions, and to command its military forces.... [tags: Cyber, warfare, E-commerce]
1833 words (5.2 pages)
- There can be many causes of a cyber attack on a vast array of different companies, these can include financial gain, scamming, political gain, and may possible reasons. Every year millions of dollars are lost through various cyber attacks using a variety of methods that we will explore in greater detail later in this paper. The question needing to be asked though is how harmful are these cyber attacks really as they happen more in more in our super-connected day and age. In January 2014 it was announced by the discount retailer Target that 70 million individuals information was stolen, including the credit card information of 40 million (Walters, 2014).... [tags: Debit card, Credit card, MasterCard, Terrorism]
1233 words (3.5 pages)
- ... Russia and China pose to be America’s most preexisting threat for a cyber attack. Russia has been accused to be behind multiple cyber attacks involving both Kyrgyzstan, Lithuania, while China has previously been accused of attacking Americas’ IT security. CHINA’S THREAT "Numerous computer systems around the world, including those owned by the U.S. government, continue to be targeted for intrusions, some of which appear to be attributable directly to the Chinese government and military. These intrusions were focused on exfiltrating information," a 100-page DoD report declared.... [tags: CNA's ammunition, spoofing, man in the middle]
1697 words (4.8 pages)
- Andrew Massung Mr. Wyse ENC 1101 15 October 2015 Cyber Warfare: the New Frontier Since the beginning of time, mankind has waged war against each other. Over the years warfare has evolved, from fighting with sticks and stones to using gunpowder and launching missiles. The newest, and possibly most destructive, type of warfare is cyber warfare. Cyber warfare has the possibility to be more devastating than nuclear warfare. The world is in another cold war, except this time countries are battling for cyber supremacy.... [tags: Nuclear weapon, World War II, Cyberspace]
1366 words (3.9 pages)
- ... It can be important weaken the country's economy, thus denying access to important resources and making it more vulnerable to military attack. Cyber violence can also affect Internet-based business. As bricks and mortar retailers and service providers, many Web sites income product (whether through advertising, financial exchange of goods or services paid) can stand to lose money if the downtime created by cybercriminals. An Internet business has increased its economic interest to the nation, what is usually the cyber crime – cyber attacks to be more in the United States in other countries.... [tags: hacking, warfare, network, exchange]
536 words (1.5 pages)
- Recent cyber-attacks witnessed in the Republic of Korea on March 20th and subsequently on 25 June 2013, which affected financial institutions and newspapers, have highlighted the need for a well organized response to cyber-attacks. Cyber-at- tacks (and their response) cross the boundaries of public and private sector. Depending on the likely motivation attacks may require a response from: the police; regulatory authorities or, in the most serious cases, military and intelligence. The sharing of information between such entities is increasingly seen as important.... [tags: security, government, information]
851 words (2.4 pages)
- "It is now clear that cyber threat is one of the most serious economic and national security challenges we face as a nation," President Obama has said in one of his addresses to the nation. He would go on the say that "We know that cyber intruders have probed our electrical grid, and that in other countries cyber attacks have plunged entire cities into darkness." (Net Security.org, 2009) When the president of the United States puts this much emphasis into a subject it shows how important it is and how big of an impact it could have on the nation.... [tags: cyber attacks, 2015]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- The Age of Information has made an approaching infinite amount of data accessible to all but the most disenfranchised. Today, technologists pursue the means and ways to transform these oceans of information into actionable information, knowledge, and situational understanding. US Military commanders, too, are addicted to and reliant on the powerful real-time situational awareness that has been made available to all Soldiers on the battlefield. Capability Set 13 provides the Rifleman Radio and the Nett Warrior System, which provide mission command across all echelons via smart phone like devices, and thus exposes all Soldiers to the cyber domain of warfare.... [tags: the age of information, technologists]
1621 words (4.6 pages)