In the documentary of “The World’s Most Dangerous Gang” it reveals how it’s group gets followers. Children can be as young as eight and be recruited into MS 13. The name MS 13 is Mara Salvatrucha 13. Mara is the Spanish word for “group” or “clique”. Salvatrucha stands for “street smart”. The number 13 was chosen out of respect and because “M” is the thirteenth letter of the alphabet. When children or adults are adopted to this group they have to first go through the initiation process. This ritual consists of being beat up by members of MS 13 for thirty seconds. There’s no fighting back. Once that is complete they are considered a follower. Its then when the adult or child learns the ins and outs of how this gang runs. They learn out to fight on the streets, to make money, to honor the code and how to follow orders. The members of MS 13 take pride in how strong their group is. They have a set of rules and values that they follow blindly. Knowledge is passed down to the new generations coming into the fold. Children are given a family when they come to MS 13. It gives them a standard to live their live by. It gives them a “skill set” that they can use for their entire lives. Working and being apart of MS 13 is a life style. They learn how to act by following the gangs rules. This gives many people who join the gang a purpose for living. This is a fact that is disheartening. There is so much more to life other than being a part of a gang.
B)Taking the Role of the Other/ page 67: Putting yourself in someone else’s shoes; understanding how someone e...
... middle of paper ...
...ions are made on a day to day basis. From one glance the mind can make judgement on any person that is looked upon. Gang members have earned this stereotype and the members doesn’t care about what other people assume or think about them. Yet, behind every gang member there’s a real person. A person who struggles with sin, and life. A person that needs to be loved in life. A person that needs a reason to life. Unfortunately, these men have looked to a gang organization to find meaning. But no matter how hard these members try they will never find the true meaning of life until they get rid of their sinful and selfish ways are look for the Truth; which is Christ. God doesn’t stereotype people. He doesn’t have to assume anything because He knows everyone. He gives life for anyone who believes. Even these MS 13 gang members who murder, cheat, and steal can be forgiven.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A)Socialization/page 67: The process by which people learn the characteristics of their group- the knowledge, skills, attitudes, values, norms, and actions thought appropriate for them. In the documentary of “The World’s Most Dangerous Gang” it reveals how it’s group gets followers. Children can be as young as eight and be recruited into MS 13. The name MS 13 is Mara Salvatrucha 13. Mara is the Spanish word for “group” or “clique”. Salvatrucha stands for “street smart”. The number 13 was chosen out of respect and because “M” is the thirteenth letter of the alphabet.... [tags: Gang, Mara Salvatrucha, Los Angeles]
1955 words (5.6 pages)
- A. Values/ Pg. 45: The standards by which people define what is desirable or undesirable, good or bad, beautiful or ugly. In the documentary, “The World’s Most Dangerous Gang”, it shows some of the MS 13 gang members. Getting the chance to hear them talk about the life they live and the things they do shined some light on their values. Their values differ from mine a lot because of where they grew up, the experiences they had, and the opportunities they were given growing up. Watching and listening to the members talk about the gang lifestyle showed me some of the values they have such as money, loyalty, and the gang.... [tags: Gang, Mara Salvatrucha, Organized crime]
1208 words (3.5 pages)
- a.) Social Environment/ pg. 62: The entire human environment, including interaction with others. In this documentary “The World’s Most Dangerous Gang”, everyone in the town is a part of MS-13 and since everyone is basically a part of this gang I consider it to be a social environment. MS-13 is basically running the town dangerously and they connect with others to get more people in the group which is frightening. They try to even involve little kids so they can grow up learning and being in MS-13.... [tags: Gang, Mara Salvatrucha, Organized crime]
1890 words (5.4 pages)
- ... One would not be welcomed in a normal workplace covered in tattoos that when seen bring about a sense of fear. There is so much negativity attached to being the member of a gang whether current or former. (322 words) 3. Crime (Pg. 190)- the violation of norms (or rules or expectations) In the video crime is emphasized as the backbone of the structure of the gang MS13. The crimes committed by this gang range from petty crimes to serious crimes resulting in death. Theft, drug smuggling, human trafficking, murder, rape, hate crimes are all examples of some of the crimes committed by MS13.... [tags: drugs, territories, laws, death]
1913 words (5.5 pages)
- Video Response Worksheet SOCI 101 CCBC /Spring 2016 SECTION 05/ McLaughlin,Kaylee The World’s Most Dangerous Gang Body language/ pg. 110: The ways in which people use their bodies to give messages to others. MS 13 gang members have tattoos and use hand signs for identification and communication. They have tattoos that tell stories about their lives. They say their tattoos are autobiographies. Tattoos can be on any part of their bodies and include MS 13, MS, Salvatrucha and the devil horns. The members will also get area codes tattooed on them from places they have been.... [tags: Gang, Crime, Mara Salvatrucha, Los Angeles]
1155 words (3.3 pages)
- Essay: Gangs Violence. A gang is a name created by a group of people, to fight for what they believe in, by using violence. Gang violence has always existed, however it has being growing noticeably in today 's society. There are the many types of gangs in the world, but the most popular gang are the Mara Salvatrucha gang and the Latin Kings gang. In each gang there are positive and negative effect of being part of a gang, plus society. The definition of a gang is a group of people who work together with a similar idea.... [tags: Gang, Mara Salvatrucha, Los Angeles]
1253 words (3.6 pages)
- Historically, it is difficult to document the extent and seriousness of gang delinquency on a national level. (Bookin-Weiner and Horowitz_1983 - The End of the Youth Gang.pdf), particular attention is required to the corner social groups (Whyte, 1943) First, to adress my proposal to study, the most important will be to identify on what we are looking for ( the goal) and to develop the methods ( the steps) toward it 's achivement. In my case of study, the principal goal is related to the Environemental theory of crime and will be designating the most dangerous gangs ' infected area on the map of the city.... [tags: Gang, Sociology, Crime, Mara Salvatrucha]
1361 words (3.9 pages)
- Gangs Should stiffer penalties be enforced against gang crimes. My answer to that question is yes. Gangs, hoods, turfs, properties, etc. in today’s world have gotten out of hand. It is killing our children, teenagers, adults, basically a huge part of our population. I can remember about three and a half years ago, my aunt was shot because of the strong gang activity in the area where we were throwing a cook out. I can remember her saying, “I’m ready to go home…I don’t feel comfortable in this area, can someone please take me home?” I can’t remember everything that happened that day, but the one thing I can remember is “We told yawl mark people about coming to our hood,” and then after tha... [tags: Gang, Crime, Criminology, Los Angeles]
1384 words (4 pages)
- The Top 10 Most Dangerous States in US 2014 The saying goes “better safe than sorry”. But when was the last time you checked how safe is the State you live in. With the national crime rate increasing over 1% annually, crime remains a big concern for many States in the US. Every year, the FBI compiles statistics of crime in the United States and the most violent of them include murder, robbery, rape and aggravated assault. With Tennessee and Nevada topping the list of most dangerous States, it’s always best to identity where you would be most vulnerable.... [tags: crime, assault, violence]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- Gangs are made up of a big “family”, which includes men, woman, and children. Children as young as seven or nine years old have been recruited in the gang. Gang member join gangs for many reasons such as protection. They live in the gang area and are in danger to violence by rival gangs so they feel they need to be protected. Another reason they join gangs is for the brotherhood. When they have lack of communication or a bad home environment they look towards the gang because it shows them love and protection like if they were family.... [tags: Youth Gangs Essays]
777 words (2.2 pages)