One topic that we covered in class that really stuck with me was how giving money or gifts to other people not only increases their happiness but your own as well. Money can easily become a distraction and it is very easy to adopt a profit driven mindset. I am not going to lie and say that the possibility of making a lot of money wasn’t a big reason why I decided to enroll in CSOM, because in fact it was. After taking this course I learned that there are ways to make your life happier aside from focusing solely on your own wealth. There are statistics that back up the claim that you actually are more content with life if you spend money on other people rather than use it for yourself. Knowing that you positively impacted another person’s life can give you satisfaction that cannot be gained anywhere else. It doesn’t even matter how much money you actually spend or what you spend it on as long as it is for someone else.
Another lesson I took away from this course was that as college students we are going to be given a huge responsibility once we enter the workforce. The future of our country and even the world rests on the decision...
... middle of paper ...
...als were short term. Portico taught us the importance of thinking about the long term impact when making important decisions. Improving my ability and willingness to think more about my long term goals is another character trait that I want to work on. I can accomplish this by continuing to write down goals and make a concerted effort to think about what my long term ones are.
My first semester in college would not have been the same if it wasn’t for the lessons Portico taught me. It got me to start thinking about how I can improve the lives of not only myself but everyone around me. The business world today is filled with selfish and corrupt CEO’s who only care about their own profits. Portico started to give me the tools necessary to change this business culture. It is up to my peers and I to continue to develop these tools and make the world a better place for all.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- What would this country be without the car, or any type of motor vehicle for that matter. The automobile has transformed the country and the world. The first car was manufactured in 1769 it was a steam powered engine that could go eight miles per hour (Dreyer). But everything escalated when Henery Ford figured out the trick to pushing out cars at a fast rate for the common man. It has created many opportunities; it has made new sports and has made getting from point A to B easier. As a result of the automobile, culture flourished, jobs became easier to come by, and the environment was positively and negatively impacted.... [tags: inventions that changed history and the world]
874 words (2.5 pages)
- Technology has changed the world drastically through the use of cell phones and computers. They have completely revolutionized today’s society. Life is more convenient now than when technology was less advanced. The improvement in health, research, communication, transportation, education and human personalities have greatly influenced life. Almost every American has a cell phone or computer that gives them access to text, call, take photographs or videos, download music, use internet and several other features that make living easier.... [tags: Impact of Technology on World]
3201 words (9.1 pages)
- Often times, I can’t help but wonder what my life would be like if I haven’t been exposed to the world of business; a wonderful career that changed my life completely. I have taken interest in business career because I love calculating numbers and interacting with people; But most importantly, my fascination in business came from my grandfather. He taught me many valuable tips on how to be a successful person, and most certainly how to run a business. He was not only a successful businessman, but also a respected individual.... [tags: career, business, ]
1362 words (3.9 pages)
- “How Windows can change our lives?” is the question of the hour. The Windows that is being spoken of is the Windows operating program on the computer in the typical office, the typical home and even and the typical classroom now. Windows is the primary and most popular operating system for these personal computers. Computers have had a profound effect on the typical American’s life over the last fifteen years. Life in the U.S.A has changed because of the technological advances in micro computers as they were once called.... [tags: Technology]
1072 words (3.1 pages)
- “Of any one hundred boys who become Scouts, it must be confessed that thirty will drop out in their first year. Perhaps this may be regarded as a failure, but later in life, all of these will remember that they had been in Scouting and will speak well of the program… Each of the one hundred will learn something from Scouting, and all will develop hobbies that will add interest throughout the rest of their lives. Approximately one-half will serve in the military, and in varying degrees, profit from their Scout training… At least one will use it to save another person’s life, and many may credit it for saving their own.... [tags: communities, scout training]
1905 words (5.4 pages)
- The Impact of Technology on Business The word business, trade, exchange of commodities are all synonyms. In the early age of civilization business was carried out on the basis of Bata trade as currency came into existence and there were business set Ups our perception started to change towards business but more so since the last 50 yrs with the advent of the information technology the world has turned around. With the establishment of the Internet business has got globalize Businesses are now able to approach overseas market they are no more confined to their areas of their establishment.... [tags: Technological Business essays]
1185 words (3.4 pages)
- Information Technology has changed immensely throughout the time. There are different people who can be accredited for the dynamic changes that have touched everyone life and one of the legends to thank would be Steve Jobs. For instances, mobile phones were used for the sole purpose of calling but now the introduction of smart phones has put the entire world in the hand of the users. Now, phones are used for video calls, reminders, using different social media applications such as Facebook, Instagram and Tweeter and so on are some to list.... [tags: Apple Inc., Steve Jobs, IPhone, Apple II series]
950 words (2.7 pages)
- A cultural artifact is something that does not come from nature, it is something that is invented or made and helps tell us about the way the world is. Cultural artifacts can be seen as a good and bad thing; depending on your generation or how you look at how the artifact being used. Cultural artifacts have changed the way the world is and the way the world works. For this paper, the cultural artifact the cell phone has changed the way we communicate and do business. Everything we need is just a few clicks away.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Cellular network]
1223 words (3.5 pages)
- Business Etiquette The Importance of Etiquette Etiquette has always been an important part of life, be it social or business. However, it seems that business etiquette is has become more important in the last decade. This is mainly due to the fact that the business world is becoming more global and that “relationship selling” has become must for success. Etiquette is important for a variety of reasons. It helps to ease what might become and uneasy situation and can make or break business relationships that are worth millions of dollars.... [tags: GCSE Business Marketing Coursework]
3382 words (9.7 pages)
- Firstly, new technology beening a strong growing part of economics in recent years all around the world. Technology progress is the world economic development prime motors. The advance in technology not only naturally has provided the advantageous method for the transformation, also changed various countries' strength contrast. The government more value the important of new technology. Every new technology created a number of rich people. Those few people know what most of people don’t know, that’s why they can make money.... [tags: Business Management Strategy]
1619 words (4.6 pages)