There are many different types of work dogs. Some types of work dogs also have different jobs for which they are trained for. Law enforcement dogs, for instance, are normally detector dogs. Detector dogs have a large interest in fetching and retrieving. There are two major types of detector dogs. These types are narcotic detectors and explosive detectors. Narcotic detectors are used to search for drugs and narcotics. Explosive detector dogs are used to detect TNT and other like explosives. There are three main dog breeds used as law enforcement dogs. The German shepherd is the best breed for law enforcement. They are easily taught to attack with full control and know how to restrain someone without hurting them. They are very agile and strong. They have heart and are very brave dogs. Another breed used is the Labrador retriever. They are used as detector dogs, both narcotic and explosive. They naturally have the urge to retrieve things. Golden Retrievers are also great dogs for detecting, again, both narcotics and explosives.
There are certain requirements to become a law enforcement dog. They are normally males that are one or two years old. Males are used more because they are stronger and larger. Law enforcement dogs must have a keen sense of smell. They must be healthy and smart. They should be easily trained and r...
... middle of paper ...
...eder. Guide Dogs. Mankato, MN: Crestwood House, 1985. Print.
Emert, Phyllis Raybin., and Howard Schroeder. Hearing Ear Dogs. Mankato, MN: Crestwood House, 1985. Print.
Emert, Phyllis Raybin., and Howard Schroeder. Law Enforcement Dogs. Mankato, MN: Crestwood House, 1985. Print.
Emert, Phyllis Raybin., and Howard Schroeder. Search & Rescue Dogs. Mankato, MN: Crestwood House, 1985. Print.
Fogle, Bruce. ASPCA Complete Dog Care Manual. London: Dorling Kindersley, 1993. Print.
"How to Train a Dog at Home Like Professional Dog Trainers." How To Train A Dog, Dog Training Tips and Techniques for Home Based Dog Trainers. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Nov. 2013.
Larkin, Dr Peter. The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Dogs: Dogs Breeds and Dog Care. N.p.: Hermes House., n.d. Print.
Newman, Matthew, and Howard Schroeder. Watch/guard Dogs. Mankato, MN: Crestwood House, 1985. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Thousands of homeless animals are looking for forever homes in America. Volunteering is a great way to give to your community and socialize the animals at the shelters. Working with dogs and cats that have not had good starts in their lives helps them trust again. It helps animals get over the trauma they have had before they went to the shelter. Socializing makes the animal more adoptable and they are given a chance to get forever homes. Volunteer at your local humane society 's and help out the animals like I have worked with in shelters.... [tags: Dog, Neutering, Pet, The Animals]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- Working Dogs and Handlers Police officers work with special units that make use of their dogs’ skills. Thornton says, “They work fire scenes; public transportation venues, such as subway stations, train stations, or airports; and large public events that may be the subject of bomb threats. They may also check vehicles or buildings for drugs or other contraband,” (Chapter 28). The Central Intelligence Agency; the U.S Postal Service; the Secret Service; the Drug Enforcement Administration and many more use dogs in their teams.... [tags: legal issues, law enforcement]
1279 words (3.7 pages)
- Thesis Statement Since the commencement of warfare, humans have been using dogs to wage battle. Dogs have been employed in direct combat, for security purposes, for carrying equipment and for unit esprit de corps as the mascot. Today many feel that modern Military Working Dogs are more than equipment; they are Soldiers. Past History of the Military Working Dog Program The dog has been accompanying people into battle since the first cave dwellers domesticated them. They have been used as pack animals, mascots, security as well as in combat roles.... [tags: United States Army, Vietnam War, Working dogs]
1597 words (4.6 pages)
- Graham Vest stated, “the one absolutely unselfish friend a man may have in this selfish world….is the dog” at a Missouri trial in 1870, over 500 years after the first instalment of dogs in civil services (Orbaan, 15). Unlike man, canines possess a courageous attribute that does not fail even in the moment of an emergency and will not back down to daily challenges that may arise on the job each day. Law enforcement agencies around the world, both big and small, employ canines to assist officers in the field.... [tags: Dogs, Civil Protection, Patrolling]
1674 words (4.8 pages)
- At the beginning of the year 2011, the first guide dog was introduced in Hong Kong which indicated a huge leap in the progress of promoting dog servicing in the region. Meantime, it is expected to provoke a controversial debate on the appropriateness in letting dogs assist in various occupations. The establishment of the issue revealed the requirement for the city to adapt a novel approach in providing social services by using working dogs. In definition, a service dog is a dog that has been trained since puberty by qualified instructors in order to develop a strong sense of obedience and abstinence so that it is capable of providing guidance and service for humans.... [tags: International Law, guide dogs]
1457 words (4.2 pages)
- Cattle Dogs The cattle industry in the past as well as today would be nothing without the help of man's best friend. Herding dogs are the best known working dogs. These unique dogs have an instinct to herd and with the right training will help a farmer or rancher move his herd without any trouble, as long as the dog is responsive to the ranchers hand signals and whistles. The best way to train a dog is to have it work along side an already experienced dog. They are keen, alert, responsive, and extremely intelligent.... [tags: Farming Dogs Agriculture Essays Papers]
984 words (2.8 pages)
- The prices of pure bred dogs vary depending on breed, but the average price comes around to about $900 per puppy. For that price, the pure bred puppy should ideally come with the following; three generations of pedigree, titled champions in the pedigree for any specific task, genetically sound hips and joints, healthy eyes, a guarantee refund for a dog with any inheritable diseases or conditions, a promise or a requirement for the return of the dog in the occasion that it cannot be cared for any longer, knowledgeable help on caring for that specific breed of dog, care and grooming information, and a sample of the current food being eaten.... [tags: Dog, Dog breed, Purebred, Selective breeding]
1173 words (3.4 pages)
- Reservoir Dogs... The first time I saw Reservoir Dogs I knew it was something different (I didn?t see any Tarantino?s films before). It was the first time I payed more attention to the characters dialogue than to the visual appearance of the film itself The dialogues in Tarantino?s films are its more powerful resource. They both tells the story and sets the mood for it. I remember I was reading Stephen King?s ?The Dead Zone. when I got hold of Tarantino?s screenplay for Reservoir Dogs. I left Stephen King for a while and read the screenplay in one sitting (I didn?t get much sleep that night).... [tags: Movie Film Reservoir Dogs Essays]
2342 words (6.7 pages)
- There are hundreds of dog breeds in the world. Gun dogs, sight hounds, terriers, toys, utility dogs, and working dogs are the six basic categories of dogs. But, you can also combine two or more breeds of dogs to make a whole new dog breed. Nowadays, you have all sorts of new types of dogs, such as golden doodles, cockapoos, and even daisy dogs, which have resulted from crossbreeding. Hybrid dogs became popular mostly in the last century, when breeders began experimenting with cross breeding different breeds.... [tags: Animals]
760 words (2.2 pages)
- Guide Dogs What Exactly is a Guide Dog. As I look around, it seems as though it is raining puppies and dogs. Can you guess where I am. No, it is not the humane society. Give up. I am at a training facility for guide dogs, where everywhere, including the office, there are dogs being played with, spoiled with love, and working hard with their trainers. Now that I have given you a mental picture of what a guide dog training facility looks like, you might like to know what they actually do there. At least that is what I wanted to know.... [tags: Blindness Dog Training Papers]
2154 words (6.2 pages)