Arthur Davidson was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on February 11, 1881. Arthur went into business with William S. Harley, making motorcycles in his family shed. Motorcycles “take the hard work out of pedaling a bicycle” He was a story teller, salesman, and United States Patriot. Arthur Davidson died December 30, 1950 when he and his wife, Clara Davidson, were killed in a car accident with two of their friends in Waukesha, Wisconsin, near Milwaukee.
In 1903 the four men formed the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. By 1909, Harley Davidson hired 35 employees.
Up until his death, Harley proved instrumental in the company’s success and i...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In 1903, William Harley (age 21), a draftsman, and his friend, Arthur R. Davidson, began Experimenting with ideas to design and build their own motorcycles. They were joined by Arthur's brothers, William, a machinist, and Walter, a skilled mechanic. The Harley- Davidson Motor Company started in a lOxl5-foot shed in the Davidson family's backyard in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This case was prepared by Professor Patricia A. Ryan of Colorado State. This case was edited for 5MBP and Cases in 5MBP-9th and 10th Edition.... [tags: Harley Davidson Motorcycle History]
1560 words (4.5 pages)
- Harley Davidson Motorcycle SWOT “Harley Davidson motorcycle was established in 1903” in Milwaukee, Wisconsin by William S. Harley and the Davidson brothers. Within a few years both the demand and growth kept increasing in 1907 they begun to advertise. A couple of years later Harley Davidson came out with the V-twin engine that could reach speeds of up to 60 miles per hour (Peter & Donnelly Jr, 2013, p. 629). The mission of Harley Davidson motorcycles is to give people the exceptional personal experience of freedom on the road.... [tags: Harley-Davidson, Motorcycle, Harley Owners Group]
862 words (2.5 pages)
- Introduction Harley Davidson has surpassed 100 years and continues to grow and move forward. As a company that started in 1903, Harley Davidson has become an icon of American motorcycles. Harley Davidson’s ideals of freedom and self-expression have transcended cultures, gender, and age (www.harley-davidson.com). The company has the purpose of fulfilling dreams of personal freedom of individuals which has translated into a very well-known brand and culture. How does Harley Davidson deliver value and customer satisfaction to its customers.... [tags: Motorcycle, Harley-Davidson, Harley Owners Group]
734 words (2.1 pages)
- Describe the organization you have chosen. Please include the name and a short description of the organization. Harley-Davidson, Inc. (H-D) has been manufacturing motorcycles for 113 years. The company was founded in 1903 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin by William S. Harley and Arthur Davidson. They are well known for manufacturing heavyweight motorcycles and have approximately 50% of the U.S. market share. Their motorcycles are recognizable from their paint jobs, craftsmanship, and signature choppy sounding engine.... [tags: Harley-Davidson, Motorcycle, William S. Harley]
712 words (2 pages)
- Harley-Davidson has a one-hundred year plus history. William S. Harley and Arthur Davidson, created the Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Company in 1903. The company started in a shed in Davidson’s backyard. During their first year of production only three bikes were sold. The company has sustained its self through two world wars and countless recessions. Harley-Davidson also provided equipment to the U.S. military during both world wars. Over the last century the company has seen competition from around the world rise and fall.... [tags: Harley-Davidson, Motorcycle, William S. Harley]
816 words (2.3 pages)
- Harley Davidson is a company that’s been around for over a hundred years. It continues to have success today and is becoming one of the most established motorcycle brands in the world. The company was founded in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1903. Harley was one of the American motorcycle manufacturers to survive numerous ownership changes, constant economic hardships, and global competition. Through part of its history, the Harley brand has been a representation of what America is today. Their bikes were used during both World War I and II.... [tags: Harley-Davidson, Motorcycle, William S. Harley]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- I. History Harley-Davidson has survived through many decades and is an American business icon. Rivals have often successfully imitated motorcycles , but never duplicating them. It is often seen as those who are experiencing a "mid life crisis", are a part of a motorcycle gang, or an investment bankers that are attracted to these particular motorcycles. It is believed that Harley-Davidson is successfully selling the freedom within the American Dream through their motorcycles. Harley Davidson began in 1903 by William S.... [tags: Harley-Davidson, Motorcycle, Harley Owners Group]
1510 words (4.3 pages)
- The strengths of the Harley Davidson company are many. Harley-Davidson owns one of the strongest brands in the world, which helps it attract and retain a loyal customer base. The company established a strong brand image with its motorcycles achieving iconic status and being ranked among the world’s most valuable brands. Harley-Davidson has been continuously ranked among the top 100 global brands in the world. The company holds 55.7% share in the US heavyweight market; and is ranked #1 or #2 in the heavyweight motorcycle market share in nine countries across Europe.... [tags: harley davidson, motorcycle market]
1347 words (3.8 pages)
- Harley Davidson Strategic Analysis William Harley and Arthur Davidson wanted to take the work out of riding bicycles in 1901. After being joined by the Arthur brothers, Walter and William, they came up with the idea of putting a motor and a bicycle together. Many engine changes were made before the builders were satisfied. In 1903, they created the first Harley-Davidson motorcycle and produced three that year. Harley built its first building in 1907 on Juneau Avenue in Milwaukee. That same year, 150 motorcycles were produced.... [tags: Motorcycles Harley Davidson Business Essays]
992 words (2.8 pages)
- The Harley-Davidson Story In the world of motorcycling there is a manufacturer and their bikes that stand out over all the rest. Harley-Davidson motorcycles are the best motorcycles in the world because of heritage and tradition, the come back after a difficult era, and the support from the bike owners that is a carefully maintained cult. Arthur Davidson and William S.... [tags: Motorcycles Harley Davidson]
1530 words (4.4 pages)