One of the three concepts of scientific evidence that shows how time is short is the ancient Mayan calendar also known as the Divine calendar (Lungold Ian, 2009)The Mayan’s would use it to predict many things in the future to come, and also figure out the past. The calendar can be very accurate when it comes to great events such as: the American Revolution and the two World Wars (Sky, 2009). As to how they predicted those events? Combing two of their calendars; The Tzolk’in, which has 260 days, and the Haab’, which has 365 days. When these were together it would form a cycle called Calendar Round, which had about 52 years in a cycle, roughly a length of a generation. What many scientists have written about the Mayan calendar is that it is more accurate than our own calendar; so accurate that the Mayan’s could predict a solar eclipse in the future (Pincheck, 2009). So if they somehow predicted the World Wars, then could they be...
... middle of paper ...
...scovery News: http://news.discovery.com/space/can-science-beat-the-doomsday-hype.html
Phillips, D. T. (2006, March 15). Solar Storm Warning. Retrieved October 23, 2009, from NASA: http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/solarsystem/10mar_stormwarning.html
Pincheck, D. (2009). Decoding The Past. (History.com, Interviewer) History Channel.
Sibeck, D. (2009). Nostradamus Effect. History Channel.
Sky, E. (2009). 20 Questions on 2012. Retrieved October 15, 2009, from The Living Prophecy Exploring the Mystery of 2012: http://www.13moon.com/prophecy%20page.htm#14
Super Volcano threat to North America. (n.d.). Retrieved November 17, 2009, from NASCA: http://www.nasca.org.uk/supervolcano/supervolcano.html
Winchester, S. (n.d.). Yellowstone Super Volcano Alert. Retrieved November 4, 2009, from Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vn6kxfD3Ek&feature=related
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- It hasn’t been even ten years and here we are all over again. For some reason the human race can not wait to be extinct, and we are already on track for another “Y2K” scare. Every time you turn on the History Channel there is another new program telling us how the world as we know it will end in a little more than two years, sending every viewer into a state of shock, and turning every Tivo into a doomsday prediction recorder from then on out. Now, I am all about putting out as much information about our everyday world out there for all to bear witness, but I also believe in unbiased coverage of events.... [tags: 2012, media, ]
972 words (2.8 pages)
- The most widespread assumption about the Apocalypse in 2012 is made in correlation with Mayan ancient culture calendar. As Anthony F. Aveni said in an article, in order to comprehend our own civilization, we have to compare and reflect it from the eyes of others (Aveni, 1). Based on this statement, Robert Sharer, an American archeologist and researcher, investigates the Mayan culture in a book entitled The Ancient Maya. From there, readers may find all the information about Mayan culture. According to Sharer, Maya is a civilization that disappeared long time ago.... [tags: World History ]
1661 words (4.7 pages)
- The word Armageddon can evoke some scary thoughts. The word means to most people the destruction or severe alteration, of life, as we know it on the planet Earth. One thing is for sure, the possibility of Armageddon actually happening is very real, and we as a species are not ready for it. Movies entertain us with their version of Armageddon while governments and scientist research and plan to avoid it. The public at large remains oblivious to dangers that are fact not fiction. God will in some form show us that in the grand scheme of things we are very small and there is nothing we can do to prevent the inevitable.... [tags: End Times]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- Workers like telling lies, because it’s what the leaders want to hear .With clients like telling lies, because it’s what the customers want to hear .Telling lies among friends, because it’s what they want to hear .Couples lie to each other, because the it’s what they wants to hear. But sometimes you do not want them to lie to you, or you do not want to know that they lied. Trust has so many purposes, the trust we want to listen, the trust we do not want to listen, the truth we cannot say, and the truth we neglect.... [tags: the onion, political, freedom of speech]
887 words (2.5 pages)
- Stereotypes and misconceptions have existed in many areas of the world for many decades prior to the modern ages. Stereotypes place labels on people coming from diverse cultures, religions, and communities. Misconceptions can arise from stereotypes, creating false identities for those groups. Although, stereotypes do have certain truths behind them not every individual from that group falls under those presumptions and titles. Technology and evolution has changed the way many individuals and groups perceive the world around them.... [tags: stereotypes, misconceptions, politics]
1685 words (4.8 pages)
- ... Poverty can cause epidemics sometimes to because if people can’t afford medicine and someone gets sick that sickness will spread to many more people. According to Anup Shah the poorest people will also have less access to health, education and other services. Problems of hunger, malnutrition and disease afflict the poorest in society. Poverty is also what causes most of the problems in society today. Poverty affects everyone in the world, whether you are living in poverty or not you are affected because when you think of poverty you think of someone who is just lost and in need of help.... [tags: hunger, fundraiser, health]
518 words (1.5 pages)
- In 1939, a great war began. World War II one of the largest conflicts the world had seen had begun and started to affect the world in such a way that it stretched to many corners of the world. With such an enormous war waging on, the people of the time had to know what was happening. A picture is worth a thousand words it has been said. With the ever-growing field of photography and the further development of photographs, photography had a chance to make in impact during this time. The rise of World War II gave a chance for photographers to go and document a war in a way never seen before.... [tags: normandy invasion, one shot, military]
1648 words (4.7 pages)
- A man gets a choice between downloading an album for free, with a click of a button or driving down to a music store and paying $15 for the same album, and running the risk of not finding that album at all. What will choose. In 1999, Sean Parker, John Fanning and Shawn Fanning developed a website called ‘Napster’ which first introduced us to the most important aspect of music piracy in the modern world, called the Internet. Free music was being shared through means of Internet and technology, and I strongly believe that this was the beginning of the still growing effects of music piracy.... [tags: downloading, music, napster]
2035 words (5.8 pages)
- Video Game Violence Sparks Real World Controversy A loud crack echoes through a school hallway and what seemed to be a peaceful day of education, turn into a lesson in terror and fear. For years, school related violence has always been on the table for debate. Of all the topics that come up, the one that strikes fear and panic into the hearts of many is a school shooting. When one occurs, people are in a frenzy to figure out all the information as quickly as they can. As a result, many fingers get pointed in all sorts of directions.... [tags: school shootings, sociology]
1464 words (4.2 pages)
- 65 million years ago a ten kilometer wide asteroid slammed into Mexico, leaving a 175 kilometer wide crater on the earth’s surface. This collision caused the extinction of 70% of all species that inhabited the earth, including the dinosaurs. The earth has existed for approximately 4.5 billion years. Scientists are led to believe that the earth has encountered five mass extinctions, just as the dinosaurs experienced. Modern day scientists and ancient societies believe that the sixth extinction is soon to happen.... [tags: End Times]
2113 words (6 pages)