Today many people have a very fixed view about others in different countries, and what the locals from those countries think about Americans. America was formed so people from other cultures could come and make a life for themselves, and so they could come and enjoy the traditions and ways of America. If people could stop and think about all the good things that other countries have to offer instead of all the bad that the media shows, they could learn to appreciate those countries better. People need to be more open minded about going to other countries because without travel there would be no way of learning about other cultures.
The amount of people in America that cannot travel outside of the country is a big problem. In 2011 only “30% of Americans have passports” (Avon 1). In perspective “30%” (Avon 1) is a very low number. Over half of the American population cannot go outside of the United States because they do not have a passport.
Out of the “30%” (Avon 1) the majority of them are most likely older people. Harriet Edleson wrote an article for the New York Times on how “older Americans” (Edleson 1) can travel more and spend less. She stated that “Americans over 50 spend more than $120 billion every year to travel to other countries” (Edleson 1). I feel like it should be more important to the younger generations to go out and experience different places instead of just seeing pictures or videos that are on television or the internet. Why is it that the majority of Americans that travel are over 50 years old? It may be because younger Americans today do not have the desire to go to foreign countries because “America has it all: ‘From the mountains, to the prairies, to the oceans, white with foam,’… ...
... middle of paper ...
...ries really are, and begin traveling more, we could learn so much from those countries. America is not a country that was created from one idea or way. America was created because different people came from different places, and introduced their traditions, foods, culture, and ways to whoever they could share them with. I believe that Americans need to travel more so they can experience how great other cultures are because there is a lot people can get out of traveling. There are so many wonderful things to experience and enjoy in new places. America can never have too many different cultures and ways of thinking. This is why traveling is such an important thing, because when we bring our experiences back with us from different cultures it adds to the melting pot we call home, and being a melting pot of different cultures is what makes America so special and unique.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Participating in recreation and leisure activities is an extremely important part of our lives. It may not always be noticeable, but most people are taking part in such activities every single day. Anything from surfing on the web to surfing in the ocean is considered a recreational/leisure activity. Without them, life would certainly be very mundane. As for myself, there are three that I participate in constantly. The first would be exploring and traveling to other countries. Human beings, a naturally migratory species, are drawn to traveling and not staying within one location.... [tags: Recreation, Leisure, Travel, Want]
1333 words (3.8 pages)
- Good Afternoon everyone; My presentation topic today is: why you should travel Nepal. Let's begins with Bob Seger's legendary song: "Kathmandu" I think I'm goin' to Katmandu, That's really really where I'm going to If I ever get out of here That's what I'm gonna do Kkkkkk, Katmandu I think it's really where I'm going to If I ever get out of here I'm goin to Katmandu...... Capital city of Nepal,Kathmandu is as beautiful as this 14 stanzas song. Wedged between the high wall of the Himalaya and the steamy jungles of the Indian plains, a small land-locked country Nepal is a land of snow peaks and Sherpas, yaks and yetis, monasteries and mantras, situated between India and China.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
634 words (1.8 pages)
- Private space travel should be encouraged. Private space exploration can lead to many positive benefits for our country. With the no longer continued support of public funding to NASA the threat of losing our space programs as a whole is in jeopardy. Putting an end to our space programs would destroy the continuation of space related research and all hopes of the United States reaching Mars. Privately funded companies would allow for continued research, hope of one day putting humans on Mars and most importantly explore many new things that were once never an option with government funded programs.... [tags: Space exploration, Human spaceflight, NASA]
1120 words (3.2 pages)
- “Why should we go into space. What is the justification for spending all the effort and money on getting a few lumps of moon rocks. Aren’t there better causes here on Earth?”- Stephen Hawking. Space is the everlasting, ever growing place where we happen to reside. From the beginning of intelligent life here on Earth, we have wanted to learn. Whether it be simply constructing a fire, or solving the riddles that still puzzle us to this day. Many of the questions we still have are pertaining to space.... [tags: NASA, Life]
1217 words (3.5 pages)
- Advantages of E-Commerce • Online travel agency: Online travel agencies sell vacations over the Internet. An example of these web agencies would be Expedia, Priceline, and Travelocity. The websites allow customers to create or customize vacation, cruises, adventures, hotels packages, etc. Customers can also book travel online without the use of walking into a traditional brick and mortal office and booking with a traditional travel agent. Traditional brick and mortar and online travel agencies perform these services, which can be described as: 1.... [tags: Travel agency, Travel website, Travel]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- If you’re a regular traveler to Canada from Nigeria, you should know that the Canada travel guide changes often and people ask many questions when they travel to Canada. Tourism in Canada is the most known holiday business in the country, and many foreigners book for Canada vacations every year. However, Nigerians are not left out in the journey, and in this article I will reveal to you the Canada travel guides you must know before booking your next Canada vacation packages. Canada travel tips are meant to inform travelers about various requirements, which they need to have before traveling to the country.... [tags: Travel, Traveler, Health care, Canada]
776 words (2.2 pages)
- There is an abundance of cultures and lessons that teens can learn about as they travel the world. Many teenagers, however do not realize or take advantage of travel opportunities provided for them and the influence travel can have on their lives. There are many programs out there that give all teens the chance to travel and experience the world firsthand regardless of a family’s income. These travels will influence the growing mind by helping them to understand other cultures without the distant feeling that these places do not concern them.... [tags: travel opportunities, teenagers]
1528 words (4.4 pages)
- 1. Motivations and Benefits (*) What motivates you not just to travel abroad, but to study abroad. Give specific examples of the academic, professional, and personal benefits that you expect to receive from studying abroad. Response should be no longer than 500 words. I’m motivated to travel abroad because I believe it is one of the best ways to learn. I wanted to experience things I haven’t been able to while growing up in a suburb in Minnesota. My goals with travel are to see as many of the world’s landscapes & cultures as possible.... [tags: Culture, Travel, Spanish language, Study abroad]
784 words (2.2 pages)
- Paradoxes and Ethical Implications of Time Travel The most intriguing problem that lies behind physics, metaphysics and logic asks only one question. Is time travel possible. Though current science and technology holds no method to physically transport a human being through the dimension of time, it is meaningful now to consider the ethical implications on a society in which an object’s time travel in any direction becomes possible. So if something like time travel is possible in the future than it would be better to consider the moral and legal implications of time travel.... [tags: Time travel, Time, Ethics, Paradox, Future]
1378 words (3.9 pages)
- NOTICE: ALL ANSWERS TO THE FOLLOWING ARE OPINIONS NOT FACTS Pop Quiz at end of video??. What is time travel: concept of movement between certain points in time How does it work: It works by using a hypothetical device known as a time machine Is it possible, if so how: Yes with general relativity but not physically What is a time travel paradox: A seemingly absurd or self contradictory statement or proposition that when investigated or explained may prove to be well founded or true Problems with Time Travel: Paradoxes What would power time travel (need energy to source it): Nuclear energy.... [tags: Time travel, Time, Back to the Future, Future]
801 words (2.3 pages)