Essay PreviewMore ↓
Reason 1: National Rankings
UF ranked in the top tier for Best Colleges 2004. UCF is the in last tier. UF is ranked 19th among public universities in the nation and is approaching the Top 10 Public Universities list. UCF did not even make the list. UF is ranked 48st in the nation among all universities. UCF is ranked somewhere between 188 and 250. There, that settles it; UF is better. Doesn't this make any other reason pointless?
Source: US News College Ranking Index
Reason 2:Individual Program Rankings
(Note: US News discontinued the free access to College Rankings based on colleges so I am forced to use old data or else I would be infringing on their rights)
Medicine 43rd in Nation
29th in Nation
29th in Nation
45th in Nation
44th in Nation All Unranked
A Closer Look at Business and Engineering
UCF Office of
UF Academics 2002
UF Business Programs and Departments
Business program rank: 23
Finance rank: 16
General management rank: 19
Marketing rank: 8
UCF Academics 2002
UCF Business Programs and Departments
Business program rank: 128 (in 2001 only).
UF Engineering Programs and Departments (with Ph.D. Programs)
Engineering program rank: 32
Aerospace Engineering rank (2002: 11)
Environmental Engineering rank: 13
Industrial Engineering rank: 16
Materials Engineering rank: 9
Nuclear Engineering rank: (2001: 6) Currently 9
UCF Engineering Programs and Departments (with Ph.D. Programs)
Engineering program rank: Unranked.
(Odd, wasn't UCF supposed to be a technical school?)
At a recent career fair, I was able to talk to a Lockheed Martin representative. Lockheed Martin chooses the University of Florida as it's primary recruiting target for engineering. The next university is Georgia Tech. I cannot imagine why someone would chose UCF over UF or Georgia Tech in engineering. Note: On my friend's site, he implies UCF is better then Georgia Tech in engineering. lol.
Reason 3: Athletics
Multiple Images of Current
UF Stadium Construction
Inside Ben Hill Griffin Stadium's Skybox Lobby.
There is no better place than 'The Swamp'! That opening on the big screen with the alligator, it's the best ever. When the Gators run out of the tunnel, it is absolutely the moment of moments in college football."
- Lee Corso, ESPN College Football Analyst, FSU Graduate
I think it is a well known fact that to compare any of UF's athletics to UCF's is pointless, considering UF is an athletic powerhouse, but I'll do it anyway.
How to Cite this Page
"Why University of Florida is better than University of Central Florida." 123HelpMe.com. 04 Apr 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Life contains an unlimited amount of life lessons; my main life lesson has inspired me to never give up on myself or my goals. Through my life experiences I have learned that there is no such thing as failure. I am certain with myself that I can find success through hard work and dedication. My career aspiration is to help others as a healthcare professional. More specifically, I have a dream of pursuing a career in physical therapy. Nothing gives me more self-satisfaction than to see that I am able to help people self-improve.... [tags: Medicine, Therapy, Spanish language, Psychology]
1144 words (3.3 pages)
- Analyzing the University of West Florida’s Catalyst Program Like most Fridays on campus I start my day off by attending my economics class, when suddenly entering the class I noticed that my regular teacher was not present, I began to analyze the classroom to find a woman who had some webpage projected, she began by asking if anyone in the room liked to travel and she went on and explained to us about the catalyst program that the university of Florida hosts for studying abroad, being as curious as I am I decided to check out the website, the webpage is mainly configured of white, blue , and green and it has a picture of the map of the cities in Europe that the attendees will be going thro... [tags: Rhetoric, The Reader, Study abroad]
1282 words (3.7 pages)
- Florida’s students at all levels are feeling the crunch with education spending levels down and worse performance on standardized tests. When Governor Rick Scott took office, he proposed nearly $3.3 billion in cuts to education (Bousquet & McGrory, 2014). Spending money on education is significant for teacher development, added resources to students, and facility improvements that are necessary to ensure students’ success. Florida’s educational system is changing at all levels; therefore, I have provided some insight and recommendations on improvements that need to take place.... [tags: school reform ]
973 words (2.8 pages)
- Company Background CF Industries was founded in 1946 and was initially called Central Farmers Fertilizer Company. The company was founded so farmers would be able purchase fertilizer at a better cost using their fellow farmers. The company would receive lower prices for fertilizer because the large quantity that would be purchased. The company went through hard times during the 1960s and the only reason the CF Industries did not fail is because of the commitment of the owners. Even though CF Industries was in financial difficulties they still found a way to purchase a new phosphate fertilizer plant in Plant City, Florida.... [tags: background, financial statement, money]
2340 words (6.7 pages)
- In the United States most students can expect to pay above premium prices when enrolling for college classes. This explains why one of the first aspects prospective students contemplate is finding an institution that is affordable. When examining the strengths of the College of Central Florida it is evident that there are three crucial proponents that contribute to its superiority, in comparison to its counterparts. First, by implementing a cost leadership strategy not only is the tuition at the College of Central Florida feasible, but it is classified as one of the cheapest colleges to attend in the state of Florida.... [tags: University, Student, Florida, Education]
961 words (2.7 pages)
- Throughout my high school career, my main focus was maintaining a high grade point average in rigorous college level classes. I dedicated several hours each day to every course that I took to ensure that I was comfortable with the material I learned. As Vince Lombardi Jr. once said, every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it, and we all should autograph our work with excellence. I consider that having a positive attitude and working hard is essential to be successful. Although I spent most of my time studying, I was able to get involved in any extracurricular activities such as the Brown Book Club as well as compete in the National Book Club Competition among other high schools al... [tags: High school, University, Study abroad, Education]
709 words (2 pages)
- When applying to the University of Central Florida, applicants were given the opportunity to prove to the reader that they are a respectable, independent, and well rounded student in around 500 words or less. Which, because there is so much to talk about yet we are restricted by the limited word count, can be a strain for some students. I was determined to make the most out of my opportunity, and deliver the best essay to the University. Out of the topics listed I choose the two that were easiest for me to elaborate on, and those were to “Describe a life changing event that had an effect on your life” and “Why would you like to become a UCF knight?” I decided to talk about a life-changing in... [tags: Essay, Writing, Essays, Short story]
1167 words (3.3 pages)
- University of Central Florida The University of Central Florida was established in June of 1963 as one of the ten universities in the State University System. The construction began in January of 1967, and the first classes started in October of 1968. The original college population was 1,948 students. POPULATION The population has massively increased since the beginning. The preliminary fall enrolment for the year 2000 was 33,291 students. LOCATION UCF is located in one of the most rapidly growing metropolitan areas in the U.S.... [tags: Papers]
542 words (1.5 pages)
- Tourism is something that people who are no longer working 9-5 jobs love. Most tourist see traveling as their job. What a great job to have. If all the people in the world could travel as often as tourist do, the world may have a chance getting along with each other. But traveling is not about getting along with other people. It is the exquisite places and diverse foods that motivates them to travel the way they do. ‘Tourism in Key West’ will provide sources with opportunities to show some of the unique and special features of the region, which can aid in conservation efforts.... [tags: Tourism, World Tourism Organization, Florida]
1978 words (5.7 pages)
- Are We Dealt More Than We Can Handle. College can be stressful. You can easily get anxious trying to juggle school, work, friends, and family while trying to figure out the rest of your life, a majority of us bounce back. But intense, uncontrollable and frequent feelings of anxiety that effects your daily routines may be a sign of an anxiety disorder. Causes. The stress of schoolwork, relationships, finances. The more you think about what you have to do, the more you feel like you’re paralyzed. Anxiety has now surpassed depression as the most common mental health diagnosis among college students, though depression, too, is on the rise.... [tags: Anxiety, Psychology, University, Anxiety disorder]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
UF's football team competes every year for the national championship in one of the nation's top conferences (SEC) and UF has already won the National Championship. UCF is in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) which has not even existed a year. All the teams within the MAC has a cumulative record of 69-76. All the teams within the SEC have a cumulative record of 83-59. Under the Spurrier years, if UF is the first team to score a touchdown, UF is 94-9. Not too shabby.
UF's stadium (The Swamp) is one of the largest in the world, with most games having over 90,000 people in attendance including the new addition of 2,900 luxury club seats and 28 more suites. Unwavering UF fan loyalty and support has resulted in 22 seasons of sold out season tickets (2002). UF's average attendance for all the games in 2001 placed them 8th in the nation for a team with the highest average home game attendance. Florida Field is dedicated to UF's students who died in World War I.
The Swamp's new skybox
UCF does not even have their own stadium. They play in the Citrus Bowl! That's the bowl that the loser of the SEC East Championship plays in. It is much smaller than the Swamp, yet UCF still has trouble filling it to capacity. UCF's 2001 season was barely a winning season (6-5). UF's season was 9-2. UCF has not won a single game against a ranked team since they joined division 1-A. UF's other sports also rank higher than UCF's. This chart has hard core data on why UF is one of the best teams in the nation.
In reference to incorrect information at my friend's page, football did not exist in 1853. It was "invented" in the 1870's. Also, it did not take 138 years for UF to reach the pinnacle of football. For the record, UF football started 90 years ago. He also said UCF football has been around for 39 years, since the school opened in 1963. He is making up statistics, as do most UCF people. UCF football actually started in 1979, not 1963. He has changed his page now that I have his misinformation on my page. you hear that dave? Misinformation!
UCF quarterback Vic Penn hurries his throw to avoid a first half sack. This was the only time UCF has played UF, final score 58-27 (you know who won)
(September 11, 1999)
"UCF player runs away from man he needs to tackle" Penn State senior running back Larry Johnson (5) runs past Central Florida's DeMarcus Johnson en route to a first-quarter touchdown Saturday at State College. (UCF lost 24-27)
(August 31, 2002)
UF Overall Sports Ranking: 4th in Nation
Source: CNN & Sports Illustrated
UCF Overall Sports Ranking: 128th in Nation
Source: CNN & Sports Illustrated
And the ultimate reason UF is better than UCF in athletics:
2004 Football Schedule Results
Keep in mind UF's schedule is much harder than UCF's. UCF has even lost to teams in the 1-AA, and near the end of the 2004 season, the press said UCF was the worst team in 1-A. UCF even lost to Ackron, aka: the Zips 26-21. Before UCF, the Zips were one of the worst teams in the NCAA. Now they beat UCF! LOL.
And finally the best Athletic reason UF is better than UCF: In football UF played UCF and beat them 42-0.
Reason 4: Graduate School
Statue of former UF President Albert A. Murphree in front of Criser Hall
(Click to enlarge)
UF Graduate School
Percentage of UF graduates who pursue further study: 22% immediately, 81% within years
UCF Graduate School
Percentage of UCF graduates who pursue further study: 17% immediately, UCF withheld the amount that continued within years.
Reason 5: Intelligence of Students
UF 2000-2001 Freshman Class Profile:
National Merit Scholars: 194
UF is 9th in nation for number of National Merit Scholars attending, second to Yale. Source
SAT Score Ranking: 92 Source
Top 10 percent of HS class: 66%
Top 25 percent of HS class: 89%
Top 50 percent of HS class: 100%
Average high school GPA: 3.7
SAT Middle Range: 1100 - 1320
ACT Middle Range: 24 - 29
UCF 2000-2001 Freshman Class Profile:
National Merit Scholars: 32
UCF is 74th in nation for number of National Merit Scholars attending, second to Miami University at Oxford. Source
SAT Score Ranking: Unranked Source
Top 10 percent of HS class: 33%
Top 25 percent of HS class: 84%
Top 50 percent of HS class: 88%
Average high school GPA: 3.6
SAT Middle Range: 1050 - 1230
ACT Middle Range: 23 - 27
Here is the proof of how bad UCF SAT scores are from 1999-2002. If you go further back they get worse.
"UF is one of only a few universities that fills more than half of its classrooms on Fridays. The universities of North Florida, Central Florida, and West Florida, among others, have cut back on scheduling end-of-the-week classes, because of a lack of attendance... At a university like Florida where the students are fairly driven and the standards are higher, getting people to go to classes is never going to be a problem." - The Independent Florida Alligator and State School Data
Reason 6: Campus Sports for Students
Students participating in Intramural and/or Recreational sports: 90%
aerobics, badminton, basketball, canoeing/rafting, crew, cycling, disc golf, equestrian sports, fencing, flag football, folk dancing, golf, martial arts, racquetball, running, sailing, scuba, skateboarding, soccer, softball, surfing, swimming, table tennis, tennis, track and field, triathlon, ultimate Frisbee, volleyball, water skiing, wheelchair basketball. UCF
Students participating in Intramural and/or Recreational sports: 20%
badminton, baseball, basketball, bench press, bowling, floor hockey, flag football, golf, racquetball, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field, volleyball, Wiffle ball, wrestling. (What the heck is Wiffle ball???)
Reason 7: History and Tradition
University of Florida - A vast history spanning 150 years. UF was founded shortly after Florida was admitted into the Union. The University of Florida has always been there for the state. UF survived the Civil War, the Great Depression, two World Wars, and the Cold War. Two of UF's dorms have been declared historic sites. UF's on-campus nuclear reactor has also been declared by the American Nuclear Society as a historic site. The University of Florida helped tremendously with early Florida's agriculture and getting a man on the moon. Present goals include finding a cure for cancer. UF has over three times the number of buildings at UCF, and most of them are named after someone important. However, to go though the entire history of UF in a paragraph is impossible, so please check out UF's Sesquicentennial Web site. And for those UCF people out there, "Sesquicentennial", as a noun, means an 150th anniversary or its celebration.
University of Central Florida - A short history of less than 40 years. UCF dates back to the 60's. Hey, that's just like ITT Tech! UCF hasn't done much (compared to UF) for the state, as their age indicates. UCF buildings lack character and history. The name of their library is "The Library." Their arena is called the "UCF Arena". UCF, in a very odd move, will tear down their Arena, in spite of the fact is was completed not too long ago. Thank you UCF for throwing away my tax dollars!
Reason 8: Size of Campus
Florida has a 2,000-acre campus and more than 900 permanent buildings. The northeast corner of campus is listed as a Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places. UCF has a 1,415-acre campus and only 102 permanent buildings. Very few trees on campus.
Here is what that means for all those UCF students who think they are great in math, but in reality just go to a easy school. UF's campus is 29.25 percent bigger with about 9 times as many buildings.
Reason 9: Campus Facilities
UF Marston Science Library (right) and Computer Science & Engineering Building (left)
The UF libraries form the largest information resource system in the state of Florida, containing more than 3.6 million volumes, 6.7 million microfilms and thousands of full-text electronic journals. The collections are extensive, reflecting the array of subjects researched and taught at the university during the past 100 years. The collections include formats ranging from manuscripts to electronic texts and are distributed in libraries across campus close to the colleges and departments they serve. Library collections are accessed through the LUIS online system.
UCF has one library which has 1.4 million volumes and 2.3 million microforms. Library collections are accessed through the LUIS online system.
UF has 2,514 computers available to all students. More computers are available in your individual college. UCF has 1191 computers available to all students. (Odd, wasn't UCF supposed to have a good CS department?)
UF Health Science Center, North Entrance
(Click to enlarge)
UF has Shands Hospital on its campus. Yes, we have an on campus hospital. It is one of the world's leaders in cancer and research. Medical Students can work there gaining valuable experience while working on their degree. The hospital is huge, it can dwarf UCF's 5 largest buildings. Shands Hospital Website UF also has an infirmary to help sick or injured students. UCF has no real life facility to offer their medical students, that is, if they had medical students. UCF does not have a medical program. They do have a health center to help sick or injured students. Note: They think they have one of the best nursing schools. ha ha ha.
Athletic Facilities: (This Category is a joke when comparing UF to UCF)
UF: One of the largest stadium in the nation. Five large Rec Facilities (Southwest Rec Center, Florida Gym, O-Dome, Norman Gym, Racquet Club Gym), many sports offered (See Reason 6: Campus Sports for Students). UCF: No Stadium on their campus. One large Rec Facility That's right, just ONE! UF has 4, and 5 if you include a very old gym used for karate! One of our gyms (Southwest) is bigger than UCF's one gym! It has 6 full indoor courts, while UCF's only has 4 or 5. Pathetic! There are few sports offered at UCF as well. (See Reason 6: Campus Sports for Students).
UF: UF dorms are named after important people in UF history, such as Tolbert, Riker, and Hume. UF has apartment style dorms, honors dorms, special program dorms, some with climate control, all others but one have A/C. UCF: Being a school that cannot compete on a national level, they name their dorms after the surrounding counties. Orange, Seminole, Brevard, etc. lol. They even have one called Academic Village! No UCF dorms have climate control but they all have A/C.
UF has 11 parking garages. UF's ratio of parking permits sold to parking spaces for students is 1.09 to 1. UCF has 3 parking garages. UF's ratio of parking permits sold to parking spaces is about 2.5 to 1.