Marsha Norman was born into a very religious family in 1947 and was taught from an early age to read and write which sparked her interest in literature. Her strict upbringing, the death of her father when she was eight, and her work with disturbed adolescents in a mental hospital are all accredited as inspiration for her works, including ‘night, Mother. ‘night, Mother was published in 1982 and is most likely set in America during the late 1970’s or early 1980’s. During this time period, suicide was a sort of taboo subject, even though death by suicide made up 11% of the total death percentage (CDC of Nevada). The fact that Marsha Norman directly confronted the issue of suicide in her play and that one of the characters actually committed suicide during the play caused an outrage as the reasons as to why people committed suicide had not been fully explored yet. The reasons behind as to why people commit suicide varies enormously and with every situation there is something to learn about the victim and the circumstances that caused them to resort...
... middle of paper ...
.... "Loneliness, Depression, and Suicide." Loneliness, Depression, and Suicide. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Dec. 2013.
McGrath, Ellen. Women and Depression: Risk Factors and Treatment Issues: Final Report of the American Psychological Association's National Task Force on Women and Depression. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 1990. Print.
Norman, Marsha. 'Night, Mother. New York, N.Y. (440 Park Ave. S., New York 10016): Dramatists Play Service, 1983. Print.
Parcel, Toby L., and Elizabeth G. Menaghan. "Family Social Capital and Children's Behavior Problems." Social Psychology Quarterly 56.2 (1993): 120. JSTOR. Web. 22 Nov. 2013.
Rick, Frank. "New Page 1." THEATER: 'NIGHT, MOTHER' AT HARVARD. New York Times, 12 Jan. 1983. Web. 4 Dec. 2013.
"What Is Depression? What Causes Depression?" Medical News Today. MediLexicon International, 7 Apr. 2009. Web. 09 Dec. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Bridge, by Jessie Kesson is a short story which describes the thoughts and feelings of a character that faces up to a challenge of crossing a bridge with a gang that he tags along with. In this essay I will describe these thoughts and feelings that make you sympathise with character and show how the writer has used different writing techniques to show this. The three main characters in the book come with very different personalities. Mike who is the leader of the crowd is very selfish and seems to get a kick out of bullying and terrorising others.... [tags: Bridge, Jessie Kesson, writing techniques,]
598 words (1.7 pages)
- There are many reasons that people consider suicide. They may be looking to block unbearable emotional pain, which causes a wide variety of problems. A person attempting suicide is often depressed that they are incapable of understanding their options. Suicidal thoughts develop frequently when a person believes they cannot cope with overwhelming life situations. A variety of factors contribute to the rising of deathly suicide in American, including mental illness and interactions with significant others.... [tags: Suicide, Mental disorder, Schizophrenia]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- Child Adolescent and suicide Suicide attempt is a potentially self-injurious behavior with a non-fatal outcome, for which there is an evidence that the person intended at some level to kill himself/ herself (Kola 1). In simple words a person tries to kill himself/herself by poison, injury and many other ways. Then intent to commit suicide is called suicidal ideation. Now a days, many people committing suicide in which most of them is the youth generation. Why it happens?. When a person feels frustrated, agitated, presence of hopelessness and there are no other ways to solve a problem, when they give up and screwed the last option they can think of is suicide Now the question ar... [tags: Suicide, Bipolar disorder, Death]
1016 words (2.9 pages)
- It may seem like there 's no way to solve your problems and that suicide is the only way to end the pain. But you can take steps to stay safe and start enjoying your life again. Suicide means taking your own life. This can be a cause of a tragic reaction to stressful life situations. If you are considering committing suicide or knowing of someone it’s important to learn suicide warning signs, this way you may save your own or someone’s else life. Suicide is known to be extremely common in United States (Han, Mckeon, & Gfroerer, 2014).... [tags: Suicide, Bipolar disorder, Parasuicide]
716 words (2 pages)
- Imagine your friend standing on top of a tall building, he takes one last breath and says his last goodbye to his family and friends, and he jumps off to his death. By him doing this, he is making a solution that cannot be fixed. He might have solved his own problems by killing himself, but imagine the pain, and suffering that his friends, family and people across the world go through. Many wonder why he did it and what was going through his mind as he did it. Maybe he even told you he was going to commit suicide and you didn’t believe him and thought he was joking.... [tags: Suicide, Major depressive disorder]
1015 words (2.9 pages)
- Suicide Among Adolescents Suicide is a common occurrence among adolescents in the United States. Suicide is defined as, “death caused by self-directed injurious behavior with an intent to die as a result of the behavior” (CDC, 2015). According to John Santrock (2014), “Suicide is the third leading cause of death in adolescence and emerging adulthood” (p. 67). This alarming fact brings parents and communities to examine what causes suicide, how often it occurs, what solutions can be presented to prevent this occurrence, and how suicide can be considered from a biblical perspective.... [tags: Suicide, Adolescence, Death, Suicide methods]
1043 words (3 pages)
- The Suicide Plan is about assisted suicides, and how most people want to determine how they are going to die. A man mentioned in the video, John Wells was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer a few months before his suicide, and had always told his loved ones that he would take his own life. His best friend of many years, Hunt Williams, took his friends wishes into consideration, and helped him plan his suicide. Hunt stood there as John put the gun into his mouth and took his own life. Hunt pronounced him dead just seconds after the shot was fired.... [tags: Suicide, Suicide methods, Émile Durkheim]
1764 words (5 pages)
- Assisted Suicide in Canada In this essay I will be discussing how assisted suicide became legal in Canada, by examining the development, history, current status, my prediction and my opinion of assisted suicide. In “Carter v. Canada (Attorney General)”, discusses the development of how assisted suicide became legal in Canada, for patients who were adults and suffering from a disease. Before this case, under “section 241(b) of the criminal code says that everyone who aids or abets a person in committing suicide commits an indictable offence, and s.14 says that no person may consent to death being inflicted on them” (“Carter”).... [tags: Suicide, Death, Suicide methods, Suffering]
1459 words (4.2 pages)
- Causes of Suicide This essay examines the reasons why a person of good physical health decides to terminate their own life. It does not consider euthanasia, assisted or forced suicide. Compared to most aspects of psychological health it is limited in scope for research – no “follow-up” can be performed, if the act is completed, and no ethical panel would approve experiments to demonstrate a causal link. Suicide has “no one single cause or stressor” according to the Lancet 2011. Before elaborating on what causes suicide it should be understood what we mean by cause.... [tags: Suicide]
2145 words (6.1 pages)
- Jessie James: Murdering Outlaw or American Hero 	There are two sides to everything. Coins have both heads and tales, the moon has a dark side and a face that we are so familiar with, and yes, the Lochness Monster has both a head and a tail. To every opinion, or story, there will always be one that contradicts it. This is the case with conceptions regarding Jesse James. Jesse Woodson James was born on the cold and early morning of September 6, 1847 in Kearney, Missouri. At the age of fourteen, Jesse joined the Confederate effort during the Civil War and fought until a Union bullet injured him in 1865.... [tags: essays research papers]
603 words (1.7 pages)
- Gun Violence: Regulations That Uphold the Right to Bear Arms
- Should cellphones be allowed to children of ages 6 to 12?
- Analyzing Particulate Matter Trends in Kejimkujik National Park, Nova Scotia 1979 - 2010
- Latino Students in American Colleges
- The Problem With Eyewitness Testimony
- Concussions and Head Injuries in the National Football League