I think the world was lacking in something magnificent, before I was born, and that is the reason why I was born premature. I was brought into existence on June 16, 1998 at a random hospital in Louisiana. Being that I was born so early, my stay in those sterile white walls were prolonged until I could get my crappy organs working properly. About 4 months later I was released, but I still had difficulties being a normal human and attended physical and speech therapy at 2. That may come as a shocker to many people who meet me, because I speak with such a finesse that some have even decided to name it-speaking white. Hearing such things as a young child allowed me to see that there are several different ways to speak in the U.S. I wasn’t particularly liked by the kids at my school,and that caused my mother to tell me that I was just different .
Being that I was so different from the other kids in elementary school, I was recruited to be tested. Not for ADHD, Polio, or the next great leader of America, but for Gifted and Talented.When one hears the words Gifted and Talented together, it causes the idea of being the next Oprah or Dora the Explorer character to pop into one’s head.The reality of what was to...
... middle of paper ...
... as if I wasn’t good enough because the people around me were doing much better.When one thinks of Gifted and Talented, thoughts of pressuring young kids to compete and be the best should come to the forefront of one’s mind.
I struggled with the idea of failing in high school and C’s constantly plagued the tops of my assignments. Finally,around my senior year I decided to stop comparing myself to other people and took the anger from previous experiences out of my life.I began to find happiness and became proud of what I could accomplish and not base my happiness based on others acceptance of me. I began to realize that it was okay not to know where tomorrow would lead me and the prospect of finally entering college actually made me excited. College would allow me to get away from my gifted mindset and enter into a freedom of my thoughts,expression,and actions.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I’ve always said that I’ve been at a disadvantage since birth.The meaning of disadvantaged, in this situation, doesn’t mean inferior, but more like tragically unlucky .As a child I would find myself getting into trouble more than usual due to my constant curiosity .Along with this, I was a brainwashed Gifted kid, and I was convinced my entire childhood that I would be famous. Due to large bouts of anxiety, constant questions about where I would fit in, and a obsession with being the best at everything I became who I am today.... [tags: High school, Middle school, Primary school]
1134 words (3.2 pages)
- Premature Birth: The Life of a Premature Baby “Babies born before thirty-seven weeks of gestation are classified of premature”, (Boenker). Premature babies usually are underweight and highly need specialty medical care. “The number of premature births is increasing and occurs in eight to ten percent of all pregnancies in the United States” (“Premature Baby Stats”). Premature births can cause lifetime affects on infants as well as life changing events for their families. Some of the causes of premature births are: Previous premature birth, miscarriage, or multiple abortions.... [tags: premature babies, underweight]
1828 words (5.2 pages)
- A premature baby is known as preemies, come into the world earlier than full-term babies. It’s one who is born too early, before 37 weeks. Preterm deliveries are more common in women younger than 19 or older than 40, and those with a previous preterm delivery. A Baby is a very young child ,one newly or recently born , Usually the youngest member of a family. A Pregnancy is the condition of a woman or female animal that is going to have a baby or babies. A Pregnancy usually last 280 days from the time of last menstruation.... [tags: Females, Pregnancies, Risk, Babies, Premature]
1244 words (3.6 pages)
- Premature Infancy Premature babies, otherwise known as preterm babies, or preemies, are babies that are born earlier than the full-term of thirty-eight to forty-two weeks of pregnancy. These babies are generally born between the twentieth and thirty-eighth week. Almost 250,000 babies, nearly seven percent of newborns, are premature(Golant 4). Prematurity, even with all the advances in technology, is still a major cause of fetal and neonatal death. Actually, around seventy- five percent of perinatal deaths are due to a number of problems associated with prematurity(Freeman 232).... [tags: Babies Birth Early Premature Essays]
1312 words (3.7 pages)
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one out of every eight babies each year in the United States is born premature. This affects approximately 500,000 babies yearly. Premature babies are defined as babies born more than three weeks before the baby’s due date. Full term babies are born at approximately forty weeks, and premature babies are born at less than thirty-seven weeks. In the final months and weeks of pregnancy, important growth and development occur in the fetus.... [tags: preterm labor, full term, NICU]
1861 words (5.3 pages)
- Premature birth can occur for various reasons and most often causes problems in the neonate ranging from underdevelopment to acquired illnesses in extra uterine life. Any birth between 20 weeks, 0 days of gestation and 36 weeks, 6 days of gestation is considered a pre-term birth, and births are categorized as very preterm, born less than 32 weeks, moderately preterm, born between 32 and 34 weeks, and late preterm, born 34 to 36 weeks (Lowdermilk, Perry, Cashion, & Alden, 2016). Premature neonates who are born significantly early and survive are more susceptible to developing problems such as respiratory distress, apnea, feeding difficulties, hyperbilirubinemia, and temperature instability (L... [tags: Childbirth, Preterm birth, Nursing, Cervix]
1012 words (2.9 pages)
- A baby’s arrival can be very joyful for a first time mother in a way that it brings particular challenges and experiences that could change a life forever. When a baby is born premature it can discomfort the family knowing that they’re child is at risk and even exposed to death. Some of the premature babies come for the first time in the world with a defect that causes agony in the family and especially in the mother. Premature babies are a very important issue in today’s society because it involves the health of a new born.... [tags: Dangers, Funding Medical Care]
1512 words (4.3 pages)
- A premature child is a child that is born before 37 weeks of pregnancy (National Prematurity Awareness Month, n.d). Birth starts from conception. As both the sperm and ova combined into a zygote and replicate into blastocysts, describes the first developmental progress seen in the first trimester (Berk, 2013, p66). Throughout life little by little the speck of life turns into a fetus. However, there are circumstances in which the development is interrupted and we see premature pregnancies, nevertheless, with such early development the child’s development can be impacted severely.... [tags: Pregnancy, Childbirth, Embryo]
1048 words (3 pages)
- ... This incubator is cost effective and could be used in parts of the world where there is limited electricity (VETA Invents Incubator for Premature Children, 2013). Although neonatal care has made great progress and survival rates have gone up, people still think that it is a waste of money, effort, and time to save premature babies. As this topic is linked with both abortion and religion, huge medical and religious debate rages have risen over the past years. Several people who support premature babies were outraged when guidelines were published advising doctors not to resuscitate premature babies who were born 22 weeks before` their actual due date.... [tags: ventilator, infant respiratory]
904 words (2.6 pages)
- In the United States one in eight births are preterm (“Funding for Premature Related Research”).Premature means that the baby is born early, which is any baby born before thirty-seven weeks but health problems are usually only a problem for babies born before thirty-four weeks (“Funding for Premature Related Research”). Premature births are the leading cause for neonatal deaths and half of all premature births have no known causes (Lynch and Dezen). Babies who survive prematurity face multiple health problems including cerebral disease, vision and hearing loss, mental retardation, and lung problems (Lees, Reynolds,andMcCartan).... [tags: Neonatal Deaths, Lack of Research]
1657 words (4.7 pages)
- How It Is The Organization Of Our Government
- The Invention Of The Automobile
- Understanding The American Counseling Association
- Single Teenage Mothers : A Story Of Struggle The Problems Faced By Teen Parents
- Public Health Issues At An Oak Ridge Institute Of Science And Education
- The Benefits Of Indoor Vs. Outdoor Weddings