Stepping out on this new adventure was a bit intimidating but it was something I thought I could handle. I saw the basketball team as an opportunity to experience something new. However, my friends did not see it that way. It was all about football to them. They ate, breathed, and slept it. If it was not about making the football team they did not want to hear about it. Even though I did not have the approval or reinforcement of my companions, I took the opportunity and joined the team. I never realized just how challenging things would get throughout this pro...
... middle of paper ...
...did it in hopes of being notice or eventually fitting in. However, in most cases, my hopes were in vain. I struggled to accept the fact that as a freshman, it was just extremely hard to fit in.
It was easy to see that this experience that I once saw as an opportunity quickly turned into a struggle that left me feeling like an outcast that did not belong. From the failed attempts to new make friends, to receiving minimal playing time, to the hardships of being an underclassmen, my experience left me feeling alone and not accepted. I felt as if I was the one on the team that did not truly belong. Anywhere we went, it was easy to point out that I was the different one on the team. Joining the basketball left me with a different outcome than what I was expecting. Coming in feeling prepared and to take on a challenge, ended with the feeling of being an outlier on my team.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The National Basketball Association (NBA) is a professional basketball league teams in North America. The league was founded in New York City on June 6 1946. The men basketball team which is the most successful of it has 30 franchised member club, it has 29 of it in the United States and one in Canada. And the sub branch which is for women is called the WNBA(Women National Basketball Team). CURRENT SOCIAL MEDIA The current media techniques employed by the NBA is there own very site which is (http://www.nba.com/) The NBA also uses twitter to promote and advertise its products and games and which currently have 15.9millions followers and the players also have twitter account which they used... [tags: Basketball, National Basketball Association]
1950 words (5.6 pages)
- Basketball is a sport people love all over the world and has changed throughout history. College basketball in the 1930s gave younger athletes a new focus during the Great Depression. Professional basketball was an important distraction for people at the time as well.There were some top basketball teams that faced many issues with all the issues in the 1930s. Basketball was growing during the 1930s, serving as a distraction from the Great Depression at both the professional and collegiate level.... [tags: Sport History, College Basketball ]
1120 words (3.2 pages)
- Part of the Team Basketball has been more than just a game in my life, it has always been a big part of my life, but it has been a part differently than what it is to others. I love everything about basketball. I have done everything from keeping the official book for a men's and women's collegiate team to washing a high school team's practice clothes and even making sure everyone has their uniforms and shoes before leaving for an away game. You don't have to be on the court, you don't have to be the one taking the winning shot or calling the play to be part of the team.... [tags: Personal Narrative Basketball Essays]
2544 words (7.3 pages)
- At the age of one I was presented with two challenges, which are now my special interest. Challenges that seemed bigger to me than life itself. My grandfather bought me a basketball on my first birthday. He saw in me an athletic ability that would later bless those around me and eventually become the love of my life. Even though the ball was bigger than me at that time it became one of my favorite "toys" to play around with. My mother however, also saw in me the potential to be the best through my education.... [tags: Personal Narrative, Personal Experience]
771 words (2.2 pages)
- The basketball Hall of Fame that represents that comes together. John Naismith became A hall of Fame because he became an old physical instructor that knew many things in life about basketball. He was an instructor from a local YMCA he made a game where basketball was made inside thats made from football and baseball season. he developed an original 13 rules to the game of basketball to show many people what they can do in a game. John Naismith made another team to play from different couLinn, C.... [tags: players, coaches, teams]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- The pressure was on as the timer beeped for all basketball players to come back on court after half-time. Richmond Spirit and my team, the James River Eagles, were tied 11-11. The crowd waited in anticipation; no one would have expected us to tie with the top team in the league. It was clear something was different about our team of merely eight. As I reflect upon that game, I had always thought it was our physical strength. Yet, as I write this, I have come to realize it was not our skills that lead to our previous wins and tying with Richmond Spirit.... [tags: Basketball]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- Every March college basketball fans and million alike anxiously await the start of the NCAA tournament. For a three week period from the middle of March to the beginning of April the entire country is engulfed in college basketball’s premier event. The tournament consists of 68 of the best teams in the game all competing for one title, NCAA National Champions. Colleges and Universities all across the country compete bringing students, alumni, and fans alike all carefully watching, waiting for that one bracket breaking upset or spectacular buzzer beater.... [tags: college sports industry, NCAA tournament]
1460 words (4.2 pages)
- Since I was a child, I loved watching basketball games. I remember when I was around six years old, there was a game on the t.v taking place at OAKA in Greece, and my favorite team AEK was playing against PANATHINAIKOS. The game was going to start at ten o'clock and my dad didn't want me to stay awake to watch it. I started crying as always- when I wanted something I was doing that -and my dad couldn't see me crying so he agreed and said that we were going to watch the game together.... [tags: Personal Essays]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- Brief History of Basketball Select Dates and Their Importance 1891 Basketball is invented by Dr. James Naismith, an instructor at a YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts. 1895 The backboard is introduced to prevent fans from interfering with play (baskets were often hung on balconies). 1898 The first professional league, the National Basketball League, is formed in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. 1908 The dribbler is permited to shoot the ball, and the NCAA eliminates the double dribble. 1914 NCAA, Amateur Athletic Union and YMCA rules are standardized.... [tags: Papers]
354 words (1 pages)
- Dance Team The Twin Cedars Community School District Board of Directors should decide in favor of funding a school dance team. Twin Cedars, a small country based school of approximately 500 students K-12, has never had the benefit of having a dance team. Two years ago, three Twin Cedars students got together with their dance instructor, Shannon Smith, an alumnist of Twin Cedars, and suggested that the school should have a dance team. Smith volunteered her time to coach and choreograph for a new dance team.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Dance School Essays]
880 words (2.5 pages)