I decided to pursue an MBA degree in order to further my managerial career in the company I work for. The question would be: Why do I think it will enhance my management career? The answer to that question requires short background information.
I started my career as an entry level programmer in 2000, after receiving my bachelor’s degree in computer science. My career took a turn to management in 2003 when I was offered a team lead’s position with the company I was working for. Since, I worked myself up through the ranks to my current position of a Manager, responsible for a sub-unit handling a specific application product. After working as a manager for 2 years, managing both the resources and the budget and the tasks for my sub-unit, I realized that my on-the-job training was not sufficient to handle the multitudes of challenges that I faced daily without a degree in business. After much research, I found that no other action can alter my career path or earning potential like an acquiring of an MBA degree.
The MBA degree is one of the most highly demanded advanced degrees in business today. Corporate demand for MBA’s has been on the rise in recent years and remains strong. According to the 2007 Corporate Recruiters Survey, conducted by the GMAC (Graduate Management Admission Council), hiring companies plan to increase their numbers of new graduate business student hires by 18% (GMAC, 2007). Projecting the overall increase in college hiring, Bizjournals.com states that at the master’s degree level, MBA graduates will be in the most demand. (Scott, 2007) Results from the Job Outlook 2007 survey referenced by Bizjournals.com showed that more than half of employers who plan to hire candidates wit...
... middle of paper ...
...l Text database. (Publication No. AAT 3311401).
Myers, I. B., & McCaulley, M. H. (1985). Manual: A guide to the development and use of
the Myers-Briggs type indicator. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press.
PayScale Salary Calculator, Retrieved September 26, 2008 from http://www.payscale.com/salary-calculator
Quacquarelli, Nunzio (2008, April 22). The MBA Salary Gap Increases. QS Quacquarelli Symonds. Retrieved September 26, 2008, from http://www.topmba.com/news/article/the_mba_salary_gap_increases-1/
Scott, Thomas, G. (April 10, 2007). College grad job outlook stronger this year: For the best money and the best work it’s wise to head west. Bizjournals.com. Retrieved September 26, 2008 from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18027094/from/ET/print/1/displaymode/1098/
Yukl, Gary (2006). Leadership in Organizations (6h ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Why am I Pursuing an MBA degree. I decided to pursue an MBA degree in order to further my managerial career in the company I work for. The question would be: Why do I think it will enhance my management career. The answer to that question requires short background information. I started my career as an entry level programmer in 2000, after receiving my bachelor’s degree in computer science. My career took a turn to management in 2003 when I was offered a team lead’s position with the company I was working for.... [tags: Purpose Statements]
1035 words (3 pages)
- Method The required methods to analyze the significance of completing a finance degree included researching the average earnings after the completion of the MBA degree in relation to not taking one. Analyzing the rankings and results of graduates proved the significance of the impact on average salaries and also how many MBA degree owners obtained better sought out employment opportunities. The main website I used to undertake my research study was Forbes. Forbes contains some of the wealthiest CEO’s and presidents and analyses their educational background.... [tags: experience, knowledge, degree]
1409 words (4 pages)
- ... Apart from the tuition and admission cost, student has to consider cost of laptops, books supplies and also the boarding expenses. Generally, these costs tend to increase with time, that is cost in year 2 will be higher than Year 1 cost and can leave behind higher amount of debt than expectation. Next is to considering the living expenses: Rent $ 700 per month Groceries $ 200 per month Utilities $ 500 per month Phone $ 100 per month Sundry $100 per month Total cost $1,600 per month Total cost for 2 years $38,400 ($1,600*12*2) Living costs expenses has to be included along with the overall costs determined in the previous section ($206,000).... [tags: cost, education, return]
834 words (2.4 pages)
- According to Fiala, Arlt, and Arltova (2014), project portfolios are used by organizations to identify, define, and examine possible project opportunities to be completed within a company. As a company grows and develops, it is critical to the success of an organization to carefully choose only projects that will promote and expand their organizational goals. Once a company decides to start a project, the company must be ready to commit employee time and company resources to the selected project in order to successfully complete the project.... [tags: Project management, Management, Project manager]
1051 words (3 pages)
- I am interested in pursuing an MBA at this point in my career to better prepare myself as I transition out of the military in the near future. A MBA from GWU will further define the leadership and managerial skills I have already learned inside the United States Air Force. In addition to an MBA, my past experience with managing people inside very harsh climates and physically and mentally challenging scenarios will set me apart from others in the career path I choose. Earning an MBA has always been a dream of mine, but one I never thought would be attainable because of the constant deployments and the financial requirements it takes to obtain an MBA.... [tags: Military, Armed forces, Management, Logistics]
724 words (2.1 pages)
- It is increasingly becoming fashionable nowadays to acquire an MBA degree by the young folks.MBA is a management degree that most young people aspire for to secure their future job prospects.The idea that is being percolated among the students is that if one has an MBA degree he/she will get a plum job.But this may not be the case always.As the world is going through an economic upheaval whose ramifications can be felt in places such as US,UK,China,Europe and even in India just studying an MBA often at times doesn’t the serve the purpose of the young aspirants.It is estimated that there are more than 3600 business schools in the country offering the MBA programme as per the All India Council... [tags: future job prospects]
606 words (1.7 pages)
- My current employer, Hughes Network Systems, will partially sponsor my MBA. In the short term returning to them as part of the Strategic and Solutions Management team is an attractive option. In the longer term, I would like to work as the CEO of my own high-tech telecom company, using my vision and experience together with my Smith MBA, to develop cutting-edge strategies and products to empower companies to better utilize technology for establishing beneficial customer relationships. The MS in Telecommunications Program at the University of Maryland offered me a unique opportunity to engage in cross-disciplinary coursework from both the A.... [tags: Personal Statement]
980 words (2.8 pages)
- My way to becoming an MBA Motivation Statement The world is changing from day to day. In order to cope with this constant change, every single person needs to be flexible, open minded and innovative in every matter. I am currently working for Archer Daniels Midland, one of the leaders on the market of agricultural products. ADM has its offices in nearly every country of the world, giving jobs to people of more than a hundred different nationalities. Therefore, it was imperative to ensure a high level of flexibility at my current position, being ready to relocate and start up a new life, in a new surrounding, with new tasks, with new colleagues.... [tags: Personal Statements]
1170 words (3.3 pages)
- “Ask yourself if what you’re doing today getting you closer to where you want to be tomorrow”. This quote has empowered me to take a deeper look at my current situation to decide the next step to reaching success. Ever since I could remember, I was always fond of working in corporate development as a business analyst consultant for a top management team of a financial company. After having two years of related work experience as business analyst in the healthcare industry, I want to push myself to gain the necessary knowledge to pursue a better career.... [tags: Management, Decision making, Business terms]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- I am currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree (BFA) in Interactive Media Design (IMD) at Franklin University. There are a multitude of reasons why I have chosen this degree; some personal, some professional, and some employment related. Personally, with the responsibilities of life, the convenience of an online program was a top priority. Additionally, because of where I work, I get an extra 15% discount on tuition at Franklin. Once I landed on an institution, I took a look at the programs within.... [tags: Academic degree, Higher education, Master's degree]
751 words (2.1 pages)