Rape in the military occurs almost twice as much as in civilian life. The Pentagon passed strict laws against rape, yet only 40 percent of rapes are being reported. Since the Pentagon only recognizes rapes that are reported, the extent of the problem is often overlooked. Why do women not report rape? The laws may be harsh but they do not cover all sides of the situation. For instance, reforms in the procedures for reporting rape do not account for the backlash of the assailant and the fellow soldiers of the victim. After reporting her rape, a woman might have to spend months interacting with her assailant and fellow soldiers who resent her for being a “snitch”. It could be because military culture requires that a soldier endure their pain and distress, and reporting her rape might make the women feel as if she is not as strong as her companions. Also, the use of pornography in the military is prominent, specifically the kind that degrades women and their bodies. Despite the official ban of pornography, it is still easily accessible through mail and civilian distribution. Pornography increases the male soldier’s lust for women, who are conveniently located on the base camp.
There are rules that prohibit drill instructors from using racial slurs and curses because the military means to connect the soldiers through a bond of “brotherhood”. Where do women fit in? The drill instructors a...
... middle of paper ...
...y middle school musical and having the other kids say how I couldn’t because I was black. I got the role but I still remember wanting so bad to be white so I could achieve my dream. I attributed being white with being successful and even now I often see my face in mirror and dislike what I see. It has taken me awhile to see that no one is perfect and that everyone has something they would like to change about themselves.
Both of these problems stem from a society who projects women as dolls, to be played with and admired. Creating the illusion that women are only their body and beauty. The media celebrates only one type of beauty, which is unfortunate for the majority of women who were not born white, skinny, and tall. Beauty and respect need to be universal. Women have to learn to love themselves and men need to learn to respect a woman’s mind as well as her body.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Price of Beauty Why are certain people deemed beautiful while others are not. In high school, the popular girls were envied because of their beauty. As an adult, the pretty woman gets the guy. Women are constantly trying to change themselves to be considered beautiful. Another prevalent issue is the men, who constantly harass women due their physical attributes. Beauty has a significant affect on society and this composition delves deeper into the source of the problem. Rape in the military occurs almost twice as much as it does in civilian life.... [tags: Rape, Abuse, Military, Soldier]
1008 words (2.9 pages)
- "If you can't prevent rape, you enjoy it,” an Indian police officer. He was forced to apologies and had to resign for commenting this way about rape. It is impossible for a woman to enjoy rape. Women in today’s world have become more active and better contributor to national and international fields, but the fear of sexual assault and being raped limit their freedom. A lot of social workers, human right activists, and feminists are trying hard to ensure women right regarding sexual violence and rape.... [tags: Rape Culture, Women, Abuse, Violence]
884 words (2.5 pages)
- One out of three African-American women will become a victim of rape in their lifetime. (Starling, 1998) Rape is a subject that many people do not like to talk about and many incidents go unreported. Rape is put into three different categories; Date Rape, Marital Rape and Sexual Assault. Victims of rape are not subjected to just gender, race, or age group it happens to men, women, children, and the elderly. Many people do not realize the change in a person’s life after being raped or sexually assaulted.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Sexual assault]
715 words (2 pages)
- just want to sleep. Acoma would be nice. Or amnesia. Anything, just to get rid of these thoughts, whispers in my mind. Did he rape my mind too?” said Laurie Anderson. Laurie Anderson, like many others, expressed herself in this way after being raped. Rape occurs every couple of minutes somewhere around the world and in some cases never reported. Rape can leave victims physically, psychologically, and emotionally damaged. According to girlshealth.gov rape is sex that you do not agree with, including forcing a body part or object in a person’s vagina, rectum, and or mouth.” In other words, any illegal sexual activity forced onto an individual without consent.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Sexual assault]
1315 words (3.8 pages)
- Rape is the unlawful compelling of a woman through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse. According to the Sexual Assault Statistics “,only 16% of rapes and sexual assaults are reported to the police department per year.” Women who are a victim of rape suffer a lifetime of fear, emotional stress and depression, but their rapist is sentenced to a maximum of 20 years in prison, depending on the severity of the case. After 25 years, Crista Stephens out of Houston, Texas can now speak about the night she was attacked and raped, but still, trembles every time she speaks her rapist name.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Sexual assault, Assault]
1076 words (3.1 pages)
- “Every 107 seconds, an American victim was sexually assaulted and 68% of sexual assaults aren’t even reported to the police” (Statistic/RAINN). Rape is a crime that is overlooked throughout the world. Some are even shocked when they realize the full existence of what all is considered as rape. According to my human sexuality power points 63% of all instances of sexual victimization are perpetrated by dates, lovers, or husbands. I always viewed it as a stranger in a dark alley snatching you up and forcing themselves on top of you, but majority cases aren’t even displayed in that scenario.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Sexual assault]
1054 words (3 pages)
- Introduction “S/he asked for it!” This is a common excuse used when somebody is accused of rape. Rape culture affects many people, including both women and men. Rape culture is a problem and it makes it difficult for somebody to speak out about a non- consensual sexual incident. Non- consensual sexual intercourse is rape. Sexual assault is violence, not sex. Many have spoken about their experience with rape and rape culture. Rape culture is a culture defined as a society that normalizes rape and sexual assault.... [tags: Rape, Abuse, Sexual intercourse, Bullying]
840 words (2.4 pages)
- Sexual assault and rape are terrifying, violent crimes and represent a serious problem in society. Edwards, Turchik, Dardis, Reynolds, and Gidycz (2011) reported that up to 25% of US women will experience completed or attempted rape in their lifetimes. Aronowitz, Lambert, and Davidoff (2012) state the most vulnerable population is women between the ages of 16-24 and 25 out of 100 women will report being raped during their college years. Miller (2014) reports 67% of victims know their perpetrators while only 24% attackers are strangers.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Violence]
2389 words (6.8 pages)
- Rape has become the most violent and common crime in America and even more so on college campuses (Acquaintance 1). But, what is rape and how does consent apply to it. Rape is not the issue however, it is the concept of consent. Most people who commit rape do not know they are committing the crime because they do not know what true consent is. Although college policies have differences, most colleges around the world and the laws define rape or sexual assault in a similar fashion. Columbia college defines sexual violence as “physical sexual acts perpetrated against a person’s will or where a person is incapable of giving consent” (Columbia 3).... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Human sexual behavior]
768 words (2.2 pages)
- Date rape is not a rare incident. Surveys indicate that in 84% of rape cases, the victim knows the attacker, and 57% of rapes occur on dates (Warshaw 11). However, what is even more surprising than these high statistics is that most incidents of date rape go unreported. Several theories exist that try to explain this phenomenon. For example, many women may refuse to believe that their “friend” raped them. In fact, they could eventually convince themselves that it never happened. Additionally, there is confusion following the attack in which memory and emotions become mixed up.... [tags: The Tragedy of Date Rape]
2293 words (6.6 pages)
- Relationship Between Student And Teacher
- The Human Capital Theory Of The Western Hemisphere
- Changes Resulting From Trauma Associated Bleeding
- Obesity : An Epidemic Running Rampant Across The United States
- Toyota Motor Corp ( Adr ) : The United States, China And The European Union
- The Cold War By John F. Kennedy And Nikita Khrushchev