Music started way before prehistoric times and there are many periods of music that came after. Periods of music included Prehistoric music (before writing), Ancient music (before 350), Medieval music (about 350-1400), Renaissance music (1400-1600), Baroque music (1600-1750), Classical Music Period (1740-1820), Romantic Music (1820-1900), and Modern Period (1900-present.) Many debates confront the issue upon whether or not there was music in the prehistoric music period since it has no record of there being any except for the little things found by archaeologists, like flutes made from bones (Wilford). Things also found were cave paintings that may have symbolized that music was a part of life back then. In China prehistoric musical instruments were found dating back to 7000 in 6600 BC and the oldest surviving actual musical work written, on clay tablets, was found in Hurrian song dated back to 1400 BC.
Music was taught in schools during the biblical period after the “triumphal passage of the Red Sea, Moses and the children of Israel sang their song of deliverance” (Main). Although music didn't hit its “boom” until the Renaissance when the printing press was invented and everything art wise suddenly blosso...
... middle of paper ...
"White-Smith Music Publishing Company v. Apollo Company." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 09 Feb. 2013. Web. 03 Feb. 2014.
"Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, 510 U.S. 569 (1994)." Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, 510 U.S. 569 (1994). N.p., 09 Nov. 1993. Web. 31 Jan. 2014.
Salman, Wafaa' "History of Music and Musical Instruments." History of Music and Musical Instruments. N.p., 19 Apr. 2009. Web. 05 Feb. 2014.
"Main Article: History of Music in the Biblical Period BIBLICAL PERIOD."Pauljerveymonzaga. N.p., 14 Mar. 2012. Web. 05 Feb. 2014.
Lotha, Gloria. "Berne Convention (copyright Law)." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica, 06 Mar. 2013. Web. 05 Feb. 2014.
"Limitation." Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com, n.d. Web. 06 Feb. 2014.
"U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use." U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use. N.p., June 2012. Web. 05 Feb. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Music is a way of expression. A way to convey thoughts and feelings while getting a message or messages across. I grew up in the Baptist church singing gospel and Christian music in the choir, but I also became interested in hip-hop and R&B music over the past decade. Typically, some people say those genres cannot mix with our lifestyles of today and that might be true. However, the way hip-hop has been used in recent years makes me and others wonder about how it is affecting the people of the world.... [tags: Hip hop music, African American, Funk]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- Music is a category of art all of its own. It has a strong power (per se) because it complements the being. It is pleasing to us without our even noticing most times that this is what it accomplishes. Music is more satisfying than the feeling of working on a mathematical equation; it touches our souls and reflects us inwardly and completely. It is a precise construct and can’t be held in equal comparison with the visual arts. While music is neither an internalized contentment that cannot definitively be explained nor is needed to be learned to fully enjoy it.... [tags: Art, Music, Visual arts, Fine art]
727 words (2.1 pages)
- Music is a form of artistic expression that encompasses almost all aspects of human society. Its uses within our lives range from simple entertainment to complex marketing and persuasion tools because of its ability to define our culture. Music may be seen as harmless and unproblematic, but looking at the structure behind its distribution provides insight to an extremely different realm of copyright laws and intellectual property rights. When one pays for copyrighted music, it is assumed that the money would go to the artists in the form of royalties as well as commission for the recording label that is distributing the compact disk or other formatted medium.... [tags: Music and Technology, copyright laws]
1066 words (3 pages)
- 1. Best Place To Share Your Music If you are one among the persons who search for place to share your music, then this is the ultimate place for you. Sound cloud is the single place to share your music with world. It has options to make one to increase number of fans to music. It may be hassle for one to hear own music for sharing particularly if you are new artist. In order to throw off this hassle, sound cloud is available there. It will help people listen tracks and share with friends so that one can increase popularity and reputation.... [tags: Music industry, Record label, Music]
1056 words (3 pages)
- Thesis: This paper aims to analyse problematic of illegal music downloading from the internet. Specifically than downloading, sharing audio, restrictions and government reactions against it. At the same time, I am trying to analyze the trends in music distribution and how did the industry react on it. Analysis of Record industry before the world wide web and after it. Reaction of artists and bands on the recent trends and how did the internet piracy helped to shape the legitimate music business of 20th century.... [tags: illegal music downloading]
2360 words (6.7 pages)
- Identify and briefly describe the 2 main types of copyright within the music industry. 1. Songwriter copyright is a protection for the lyrical content of a song giving it credible evidence that you own the music being written. 2. Sound Recording copyright is the protection to a song or album from the label’s engineers and producers perspective . 2. Imagine that you are an investor looking for a music project to invest in. Which opportunity is the “best bet” from your perspective as an investor, and why.... [tags: Record label, Music industry, EMI]
1369 words (3.9 pages)
- Are Oscar Hammerstein’s musicals characters in Carousel and The Sound of Music a true representation of women and family structure in the period they were written. Between 1945 and 1959 Oscar Hammerstein wrote two hit musicals Carousel and The Sound Of Music In this independent project, I argue that despite their different time settings these two musicals explore social issues of the day, including women’s rights and transmuting roles in America’s culture, sometimes directly and sometime obliquely.... [tags: social issues, women´s role]
1906 words (5.4 pages)
- Music Business Music Business Exam Number One Question 1. The music publishing industry at a glance would seem to be those who print sheet music, method books, lead sheets, and all of the texts or notated music that musicians (and those aspiring to be musicians) use. Years ago, this was what most music publishers did, but as the industry has evolved the process that become much more complex. Music is not just ink and paper, intellectual material and property to the individual who writes it.... [tags: Papers]
3873 words (11.1 pages)
- Apple's Digital Music Player Market There are two main key issues when dealing with Apple's digital music player market. The first issue consists of Apple maintaining its digital music player market share. The second issue pertains to whether or not Apple has a niche music player by not licensing its technology. Apple has a substantial market share consisting of 60% of the digital music player market when only 11% of the U.S. population owns digital devices. In order for Apple to maintain its major role in the digital player market it must consistently maintain its innovativeness over other digital music players in the industry.... [tags: Apple Macintosh Business Market Analysis]
1781 words (5.1 pages)
- Downloading Music from the Internet There are many ways to download music off the internet; some legal and some illegal. There are so many websites about downloading music, it can be confusing to people which ways are legal and which are not. Some sites and programs charge a monthly fee while others have consumers pay per song. Then there are others that advertise “Free Downloads” and falsely state that downloading free music is legal. There are many advantages and disadvantages to downloading music legally and illegally.... [tags: File Sharing]
1586 words (4.5 pages)