“I guess today just wasn’t my lucky day.” This statement that is made in a variety of situations but, by far the hardest one to hear it from is someone with a gambling problem. When someone who you love and respect tells you this it can often cause panic and anxiety. The panic begins right when the gambler begins to get quiet, withdrawn and focused. What they are focusing on is the prospect of winning, and depending on the level of addiction, the win they are looking...
... middle of paper ...
...oblems are also magnified for people that have anger, anxiety or self esteem issues because they often times cannot stand their ground or keep a level head in extreme situations.
Living with a gambler can be a roller coaster ride. First you can’t believe what you are seeing and feeling, it’s such a rush, and then when the excitement is gone things dull down a lot. All of the problems that a spouse, girlfriend/boyfriend, or close family member feel from the addiction so would just a plain roommate. Also when and if the gambler does get help, life must change all around him. This is not something that can be changed overnight and does require quite a big transition like most addictions. A gambling addiction can cause so many negivitve effects on a person’s life and well being, it is so similar to drug addiction and honestly I don’t think very many people realize that.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Now a days, almost everyone has access to a smartphone. It is said that smartphones can be addictive. Tristan Harris article, “The Slot Machine in Your Pocket” states that it is gets really bad to the point where they take advantage of human weaknesses to ensure your constant attention. Harris says that, “When we get sucked into our smartphones or distracted, we think it 's just an accident and our responsibility. But it 's not. It 's also because smartphones and apps hijack our innate psychological biases and vulnerabilities” (Harris, 2016).... [tags: Addiction, Problem gambling, Video game]
1131 words (3.2 pages)
- Gambling Gambling is a very controversial subject. There are many different pros and cons for gambling. One pro is tha a person can make make fast money and have fun at Casinos. On the other hand, a person can lose all their money and go through a period of stress. Legalized gambling requires consideration, prize and chance. However there have been cases in which these three things have not been present. For example, in games such as FanDuel it is believed that the game is not 100 percent chance.... [tags: Addiction, Problem gambling, Gambling]
730 words (2.1 pages)
- Just about everyone can think of an activity that they have done in their lifetime that brought them extreme pleasure and that euphoric feeling that accompanies a good time, but when should one be concerned that their good time is becoming a problem. Can someone be addicted to an action. For many the exhilaration at the chance to win is stronger than the consequences of losing. Whether its placing a bet on a sports team, playing poker on Friday nights, buying lottery scratch cards, playing slots in a casino or playing sweepstakes at an internet café each can lead to addiction.... [tags: Problem gambling, Addiction, Gambling, Lottery]
745 words (2.1 pages)
- Gambling involves taking a risk. It’s something that gets our adrenaline pumping. Believe it or not, money is one of the major things that makes the world go round and some of those believe that money does indeed buy happiness in our lives. We all have heard the stories of those who have won thousands to even millions of dollars just by gambling and we instantly think that could be us. If some random person can be that one in a million, surely I can be too, right. Even though gambling is a fun thing to do, it is important to be aware of the kinds of gamblers that exist in today’s society and realize that gambling should be played in moderation.... [tags: Gambling, Lottery, Scratchcard, Casino]
896 words (2.6 pages)
- Types of Gambling We have gambling opportunities all around us and this has been made possible with the advanced technology such as the existence of internet, tablets, and Smartphones. You can gamble anytime and anywhere you are because it 's clearly becoming more and more a part of our lives. However, you should note that gambling is only fun when put under control which means taking measures to avoid addictions. The secret to successful gambling lies in finding the best gambling forum as there exists numerous.... [tags: Gambling, Lottery, Slot machine, Online gambling]
856 words (2.4 pages)
- The adrenaline-rushing feeling of gambling offers people the idea that opportunity lies within their hands. Unfortunately, there are far too many consequences to gambling to even begin to count. To win you must play, and to win big you must play big. As more gamblers can recall their losses rather than their winnings, gamblers are often dealt with poor hands and must play the risky game to stay alive. Even though gambling has so many faults, some still fall under its corruptions because of gambling’s deceiving fallacies.... [tags: Gambling, ]
638 words (1.8 pages)
- 1907-After the silver strike in 1907, Bill Graham at the age of 18 came to Tonopah (Las Vegas) and opened the Big Casino. 1920s-Bill Graham, who was born in San Francisco, operated the Willows in Reno with his partner James McKay. 1933-(September) Lansky gets permission from Batista to open up casinos in Cuba. Also getting permission to run the already operational Hotel Nacional. 1933-(November) Lansky gets the Molaska Corporation up and running. 1933-(December) Prohibition ends in America, making bootlegging an almost obsolete business venture.... [tags: History of Gambling]
705 words (2 pages)
- Internet Gambling Why is gambling such a problem on the Internet. There are plenty of reasons and you are going to hear all of them throughout this research paper. There are three main types of Internet gambling. There is the sports book, there are casinos and the lotto, and last but not least there is horseracing. Throughout this paper I will explain the Laws against online gambling. Why people can get around the laws, and the style of gambling and how to do it. I think that online gambling is fine the only person you could hurt is yourself.... [tags: Gambling Internet Casino Web Essays]
1423 words (4.1 pages)
- Win Some and Lose Some One hour away. Sloan, Iowa. Winna Vegas Casino. We like to say it’s a fun way to get away from college life, hang out with friends, and attempt to add a little extra to the pocket books. Many kids attending Buena Vista University have made at least one trip to the Winna Vegas Casino. This casino is 70 miles from Storm Lake and the age requirement to gain admittance is only eighteen. As an alternative to drinking or the bar scene, individuals view gambling as a relaxing and entertaining past time.... [tags: Gambling Gamblers Betting Essays]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- Gambling As time marches on into the twenty first century, gambling has become an increasing problem in the United Sates. The continuing problem has hurt the lives of many often leading to actions such as suicides. The problem with gambling today is it is not taken as a serious problem by the American world. According to Richard Wilhelm, it is thought of as “ a recreational hobby that has little negative affects”(2). Little does much of the public know that gambling is a serious addiction that can completely take over your life.... [tags: essays papers]
1635 words (4.7 pages)