By 1893 the Funk and Wagnalls dictionary in America added the more contemporary notion of a career. “1. A complete course or progress extending through the life or a portion of it, especially when abounding in remarkable actions or incidents, or when publicly conspicuous: said of persons, political parties, nations, etc. 2. A course of business activity, or enterprise; especially, a course of professional life or employment, that offers advancement or honor.” (Funk and Wagnall, 1893) The image of a single track with an end goal that the employee runs day after day still exists, but now more emphasis is placed on the public aspect of a career. People use their career to define themselves, and others. In...
... middle of paper ...
...t it is much more fluid now. Workers have to be able to adapt. They are no longer stuck in one job for life. Workers will find themselves in multiple jobs and working with many people they would never have come across before. The career isn’t going anywhere it’s just changed, and there is nothing to worry about.
“Definitions: Work, Career, Profession, Vocation.” Writing and Reading Across the Curriculum. Ed. by Laurence Behrens and Leonard J. Rosen. 11th ed. Boston: Longman, 2011. 207-13
The Economist. “Into the Unknown.” Writing and Reading Across the Curriculum. Ed. by Laurence Behrens and Leonard J. Rosen. 11th ed. Boston: Longman, 2011, 244-47.
Sennett, Richard. “No Long Term: New Work and the Corrosion of Character.” Writing and Reading Across the Curriculum. Ed. by Laurence Behrens and Leonard J. Rosen. 11th ed. Boston: Longman, 2011. 207-13
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Career Prospectus Research Essay I love art and design. I plan to go to Baker to get a degree for Graphic Design. I’ve learned through research and my internship, that Graphic Design is what I want to do and what I enjoy doing. I love being able to be artistic and creative. Through research, I've learned what I want to do and my plan for how to get there. Who I Am. Graphic Design is my passion. Freshman year, I got an art award which inspired me to keep taking art classes and made me focus on careers that include art.... [tags: graphic design, bachelors, job]
669 words (1.9 pages)
- In March of 2013 I was notified that I would be losing my job in 90 days due to our contract with the State not being renewed. As you can imagine the news brought on many fears for me and the five hundred other employees who were affected. At first I was in shock and remember driving home that evening questioning over and over again what had just happened. The next day when I returned to work, it was very somber in my office. People were walking around still in disbelief of the news. As the days progressed I needed to start making decisions about what I wanted to do next with my career.... [tags: job, wok, pay, career]
518 words (1.5 pages)
- A college education is an essential step towards a successful military career. To some enlisted members, continuing or starting a college education may seem difficult to do. My decision to continue a college education was easy. Being stationed at an Air Base for a year has given me an opportunity to do so without being sidetracked by some of life’s daily responsibilities. Since it is an unaccompanied tour and I have no choice but to live in dorms, going to college is much easier then back in the states.... [tags: Education Career]
1252 words (3.6 pages)
- Psychology is the study of the human mind and its functions. I am interested in psychology because I think it is fascinating how people’s minds work and how they are affected by different things. It is also kind of interesting to try and understand how people think. I already knew that psychologist have their own area where they work and that it not a really hectic environment. I hope to learn if the job is stressful and requires a lot of work outside the scheduled work hours. I set up an interview with Dr.... [tags: Career Essays]
1064 words (3 pages)
- “What do you want to be when you grow up?” As a child, we have all been asked this question; and as unrealistic children, we all had dreams of being a superhero, princess, cowboy, or astronaut. Later on in life, as time went by, and as we became more knowledgeable, our answers became more serious. Some of us wanted to be teachers, business owners, or a veterinarian. However, I have always wanted to be a doctor, but not just any doctor. For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a pediatrician.... [tags: Career Essays]
1634 words (4.7 pages)
- The career that I have chosen for my future is to become a dentist. Become a dentist is one of my biggest dreams, because is something that I always wanted to be since I was a child. There are a lot of advantages of becoming a dentist that I really love about this career. Firstly there are a lot of opportunities of getting a good job, also be able to help others with their dental care, earn good money, and have a flexible schedule. Become a dentists is something that I really want, because it can give me a lot of opportunities that I really want to have in a career.... [tags: Career Goals]
477 words (1.4 pages)
- The purpose of this paper is to gather all the strategies needed to be the best I can be in the future, as a professional. I will express all of my personal goals that I will strive to achieve during college. This paper will serve as a road map to my career path, and will help me better understand the job market. Currently my major is in the college of Kinesiology. The reason I have chosen kinesiology is because I am fascinated with the human body, and learning how to take care of it while it is in motion.... [tags: Career Essays]
1554 words (4.4 pages)
- Journalism is type of writing that investigates and includes lots of research of good and bad stories and some events. Journalists tend to write news stories that people should know about and haven’t already heard. Journalism comes in different categories; some are reporters, writers, editors, and photographers. People who tend to like journalism are those who love language and enjoying writing and reading, are called journalist; they work as reporters at newspapers, magazines, websites, TV stations, and radio stations.... [tags: Career Essays]
1397 words (4 pages)
- My future career goal is to become an anesthesiologist. An anesthesiologist administers an anesthetic to patients before going into surgery. They also have to keep monitor of vital life signs and make sure everything in the body is functioning properly while under the anesthetic. I think being an anesthesiologist is something I’d enjoy being because I like being in control. I like making sure people are okay and that is specifically what anesthesiologists do; they make sure the patient can’t feel any pain and is comfortable during surgery.... [tags: Career Essays]
1345 words (3.8 pages)
- Career Interest Deciding on a career has been a challenge. My first career interest was to be a physical therapist. As a child I would look at my mother-nursing textbook was intrigued by the muscular and skeletal systems The most intriguing part was how muscles, tendons, and ligaments all work to attach themselves to our skeletal system to create motion. My second career interesteas in mass communications. After only one semester I realized that I had no real desire to pursue a career in this field.... [tags: Career Search]
1857 words (5.3 pages)