Every student needs help in some way whether entering high school, needing information, choosing a career, or talk about personal problems. As a high scholar I realize guidance counselors play a great role in helping a student out for the future.
School counselors play a great role in a student’s life, with all kinds of problems, emotionally and mentally and I would love to be a part of helping out student. This profession interests me for two reasons. First of all, I like to talk with people of all types. Second of all, I am always concerned with the feelings of others. The combination of these two qualities of mine is what makes me thing that being a guidance counselor is for me. They didn’t always have counselors to guide you; they had to end the program during the great depression. It was not until after many years that guidance counseling went back into the school budget. “Students lost their individual identity in the crowds of fellow students” without counselors. More students planned to attend college but Parents were unable to help their children in these areas. These and other services had to be provided by trained individuals, the guidance counselors.
A school counselor plays multiple roles in a students’ life. Before anything, the counselor and student must get to know each other, so the student is comfortable.(Job Profiles, 2011) When a student enters freshman year in high school, there is one counselor that will be there throughout the four years of high school. Students are worried about the new people, new classes, where the classes are, etc. The counselor allows the student to choose their classes, but they must also meet the graduating requ...
... middle of paper ...
...seling program offers concentrations in marriage counseling, school counseling and community counseling and includes an internship. Doctoral students can pursue a Ph.D. in Counselor Education. Pennsylvania state university Also provide the same education Privileges as William and Marry and also students can complete a master's degree program in elementary school counseling, secondary school counseling, rehabilitation counseling, mental health counseling or career. Lastly University of Wisconsin offers a terminal Master of Science in Counseling program, which explores multicultural counseling, consultation and professional behavior. It also offers a Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology program. Additionally, the School of Education features a counseling psychology training clinic, which supports faculty research and offers psychology and mental health services to clients
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... Before getting started with anything hands on a certain education path is required to become a trusted and successful counselor. To begin with it’s a requirement to take psychology courses while I am working towards becoming a counseling-psychology major with the goal of obtaining a Bachelor’s degree in. Either a Bachelor’s of art or a Bachelor’s of science is acceptable. In addition this would require thirty to forty five hours and fifty to sixty credits of graduate coursework. But that’s not all, it’s also a necessity to attend graduate school and work towards a MA (masters of art) degree.... [tags: time, effort, work, career, patients]
765 words (2.2 pages)
- High school is the second stage of education that acts as a transition period from childhood into young adulthood. The in-depth self discovery and growth as well as disappointment that occurs in this critical phase of a young person’s life requires support and guidance for optimal success. I have an absolute confidence in all young people’s abilities to take them beyond the expectations of society. My passion for the belief that education is a solution to obstacles many teenagers face is the foundation for my desire to influence high school student’s lives.... [tags: professional occupation, educators]
865 words (2.5 pages)
- After completing Holland’s code on the Self Directed Search, the summary code I earned was SEA. SEA stands for social (S), enterprising (E), and artistic (A). My result didn’t really surprise me because of the assessment we had taken in class, however, I was surprised when I my highest score on the assessment was on social. The assessment states that social people likes to help others with their problem. Which in this case, is true for me. This is why I am in pursing my education in graduate school because I do want to be in the counseling profession.... [tags: School counselor, Education, High school]
1378 words (3.9 pages)
- After our guest speaker, Kalin Stewart, told us she had little to no help with postsecondary education preparation with her exceptional children’s class from guidance counselors, it worried me. I personally want to become a high school guidance counselor and I do not want to leave any of my students or teachers out on their own. It also saddened me to learn about the struggles my classmate Hannah faced without learning basic life skills in school. Therefore, I wanted to learn what was being done with postsecondary education preparation and how I can improve upon it.... [tags: High school, Education, Higher education, College]
830 words (2.4 pages)
- My trousers were becoming damp from rubbing my sweaty palms on them. I wondered what would happen if I walked out. Would my mother hate me. Would I hate me. Let me rewind a bit and explain why I was sitting in a room with 50 other children for 6 hours. I was in the 5th grade at Lingelbach Elementary. My head was down and I allowed my eyes to gently close as Beethoven 's 5th symphony trickled into my head. This was a daily routine that my teacher and mentor had called resting period. Every day at 1:00 pm after lunch and recess we would enter into a dark classroom with classical music filling the room for 30 minutes.... [tags: Want, Family, Writing, Need]
1364 words (3.9 pages)
- What role do you believe a counselor should take in closing the achievement gap. Is this an issue strictly for teachers and administrators. What specific strategies could a counselor use to be a part of closing the achievement gap. Use information from the required reading (as well as other research you can find), but also try to be creative and think of a strategy in addition to the ones you have read. Locate, read, and cite at least three journal articles in your response to these assignments.... [tags: teaching, leadership, guidance counselors]
949 words (2.7 pages)
- The Guidance Counselor INTRODUCTION According to the U. S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Outlook Handbook, Counselors are defined as persons who “assist people with personal, family, educational, mental health and career decisions and problems. Their duties depend on the individuals they serve and the settings in which they work” (169). Examples include Mental health counselors who help people cope with daily life issues such as marital, family, stress management, or addiction problems.... [tags: essays papers]
1064 words (3 pages)
- A professional school counselor is skilled and trained to use his/her best judgment when it comes to students’ rights and confidentiality. One should behave as a professional at all times and be mindful of their behavior. One not only have to be aware of professional values they should also be knowledgeable of applying these standards as they apply to the role of the school counselor. The professional school counselor is responsible for removing barriers to learning and to advocate for change for all students.... [tags: School counselor, Education, Ethics]
1265 words (3.6 pages)
- III. Aspirations A. Comment at length regarding why you want to receive preparation as a counselor. I want to retrieve preparation as a school counselor because it would be very rewarding career. High school was a crucial point in my life because there were many teachers, coaches, and counselors that were vital toward my development. Many of these faculty members became role models and major inspirations to me. My counselor in high school was particularly inspiring to me because he connected with me, coached me in athletics, and guided me toward success.... [tags: School counselor, High school]
1066 words (3 pages)
- When coming to camp as a camper and a CIT, the two things that left the most lasting impression on me were having good times with people that I love and learning to live a more Christian life. I know that I am far from perfect, but I hope that I can be an example to my campersand show them by my actions how to live the Orthodox way. Even in the little things like leading evening prayers as a cabin, or being a guide as to what is appropriate to say or do, I pray that I will be able to show my campers how to best enjoy their time at the Village, and grow as Orthodox Christians.... [tags: essays research papers]
393 words (1.1 pages)