It is true that some breeds may be more likely to bite than others, which should not be misunderstood as a sign of aggression. Although, with a little understanding of these breeds history, we can better understand why many of these dogs act the way that they do. German Shepherd Dogs were breed to become an unmatched herding dog due to their strength, intelligence, and excellent temperament. However, this also caused the breed to become extremely territorial and protective of their family, property, or handler. Because of this, they also became highly desired as both police and guard dogs (American Kennel Club). Like the German Shepherd Dog, the Rottweiler was also breed in Germany for their herding capabilities along with the ability to pull a cart for many butchers and farmers. Despite what many people think, Rottweilers are inherently not vicious or unstable. A well trained...
... middle of paper ...
...uickly leaves. This only enforces this type of behavior and creates more issues later.
Some rescue shelters require anyone adopting a dog to take a quiz about the dog and there behavior. This is something that should be implemented with all new dog owners. This can ensure they are aware of the dogs needs, whether it be level of exercise, attention, stimulation, etc. Many high-energy breeds also need to be enrolled in some sort of “job”. These can consists of dog agility courses, tracking, scent work, advanced obedience, fly ball, and others (Paws). This provides a very safe outlet of energy for these working dogs who often are considered aggressive. In conclusion, labeling or implying a ban strictly on the breed of a dog is wrong; any dog can be aggressive. Before we assume and make accusations, we need to understand the entire story and background of any situation.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Miacis was a weasel sized small carnivore that lived forty million years ago in the Eocene Period. Miacis is believed to be the oldest ancestor of the present day dogs. Six forms and millions of years later the wild ancestor of dogs, wolves arrived. The wolves would follow hunters, leading to the hunter's befriendment of the wolves and their domestication. "The greatest fear dogs know is the fear that you will not come back when you go out the door without them." States Stanley Coren who is a dog psychologist.... [tags: Animals]
912 words (2.6 pages)
- Are Dogs Getting the Attention They Deserve. It used to be that you could tell just about how poor a family was by how many dogs they had. If they had one, they were probably doing all right, two dogs meant that the couple were dog lovers, but if a citizen kept three, you could begin to suspect he didn’t own much else. What type of dogs these were also lead people to believe their social status in society. (Hoagland, 1995) Would this lead people to believe that this is true. In my opinion, No it does not.... [tags: Symbols Wealth Animals Pets Essays]
1033 words (3 pages)
- ... We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. ( Roger Caras ) Dogs are always protective of their owners. Every dog will be there for its owner at all times, to all humans; their owners or not. Whenever they are in danger but what they got back is – Abuse – Seriously how would you feel if you were in their place. Not good. Thought so. Why would you put them in such danger instead go help and make them part of you that’s what they will always do.... [tags: penalties, hurt, protective, feelings]
580 words (1.7 pages)
- Underdog Rescue is a non-profit organization that rescues dogs and rehomes them. Underdog Rescue has been established since 2009 and has had the same three core volunteers (President, Vice president and secretary) since they started. The rescue is foster based and relies heavily on community support, volunteers, foster homes, and donations. The purpose of the meeting was a monthly volunteer update and recap of last month (October). The common concern among the group was the amount of stray dogs in each county, and the amount of dogs being euthanized each day at each county animal control.... [tags: Vice President of the United States]
822 words (2.3 pages)
- We looked at the poems The Behaviour of Dogs and Flying to Belfast We looked at the poems The Behaviour of Dogs and Flying to Belfast, 1977 by Craig Raine. In Raine's poem The Behaviour of dogs he describes to us the many different breeds and types of dog that there are in the world and what effect they have on our lives. In the poem Craig Raine describes dogs in a different way than we would normally think of them to make us see them in unfamiliar ways. To make the dogs' actions easier for us to imagine he uses imagery of things we see in everyday life and on television but that we don't usually associate with dogs, "Their feet are four-leafed clovers that leave a jigsaw in the dust".... [tags: English Literature]
1235 words (3.5 pages)
- As a kid, I fell in love with the idea of getting a puppy for Christmas. Wrapped in a small box with a bow on top sitting under the tree just like the movies and tv shows I had seen. I can remember making a Christmas list of all the things I wanted that year, and every year the same thing that I wanted had said “puppy” with it underlined so that my mother knew which was my favorite on the list. Every year no surprise, I didn’t find a dog. I never understood why I never received one. When the kids at school talked about the few dogs they had at home made me so jealous, but I hoped that one day it would be me to have my own best friend at home.... [tags: Dog, Puppy, Dogs, Pet]
702 words (2 pages)
- One of the most popular dogs owned by dog owners is the pit bulldog. They are said to have a friendly temperament and is remarked for being attached to their owners. Pit bull dogs are good pets, but they can cause severe problems if they are not trained correctly. Even with their friendly attitude towards human, they are aggressive and defensive towards their territory. This tends to threaten the society when considering how to control the pit bulls of mauling incidents. Pit bulldogs and other attack dogs should be banned to keep people safe from dog mauls in populated areas.... [tags: Dogs Pit Bulls]
1589 words (4.5 pages)
- The results of the study scaled the dogs on five dimensions of behavior temperament: playfulness, curiosity/fearfulness, chase-proneness, sociability, and aggressiveness (De Palma et al., 2005). Dogs living in rescue shelters were assessed as demonstrating a low degree of playfulness, showing distraction by the environment when being enticed to play. The sheltered dogs also scored low on curiosity but, high on fearful behavior. The cortisol levels for the sheltered dogs were significantly higher than the cortisol levels of canines living in households, indicative of stress and anxiety associated with shelter lifestyle.... [tags: Shelter Dogs]
1148 words (3.3 pages)
- Dogs are very common in the world we know today. Many households have one or more. Dogs are trained to be pets. Not only trained to be pets, dogs are also trained for work. Dogs are getting used more and more in our work environment. House dogs can also be considered a working dog depending on why the dog is there. There are many jobs for dogs. Dogs make a big impact on our working and social lives. There are many different types of work dogs. Some types of work dogs also have different jobs for which they are trained for.... [tags: Training Work Dogs]
2808 words (8 pages)
- As the saying goes, a dog is a man’s best friend. The dog is a loving companion to a man. He is happy to go everywhere with his master. He shows his affection for his master by wagging his tail and licking his hand or face. This timeless relationship continues to evolve into new kinds of human-dog interactions that increasingly benefit society. This has led to the belief that dogs can provide company, affection and support to people who are going through a difficult time or who feel lonely. Dogs have aided humans in tasks such as hunting, livestock herding, and guarding.... [tags: seizure dogs, dogs, service dogs]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- The Great Gatsby By F. Scott Fitzgerald
- My Journey Through My Life
- The Yellow Wallpaper, The Treatment And Status Of Women
- Peter Weir 's Gallipoli : A Tale Of World War I And The Aussie Involvement
- Is There Anything Else That Isn 't Feeling Right?
- Leadership Philosophy On People And Servant Leadership